It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Planning on a Pokemon Game 

Hello!
I was thinking of making a Pokemon game out of C++ using
Visual Studio Express. But I should get a plot first. That is why I'm going
to ask for some suggestions. :yay: Okay, let's start planning!

I was thinking of making this game as in X and Y based or maybe
Unova, however Johto is my favorite region. I don't know if I should go wth
the newest or by the favorites. I am planning on making it where you can
catch all the Pokemon, because I'm not even advanced enough yet to make
a trading station.

So, maybe the story will be about there's a Pokemon roaming around the region that
appears every 500 years to cause destruction. This Pokemon will be Giratina, but it's
a corrupted version of Giratina and not the original one. It's corruption will be caused
from a failed attempt to copy Giratina's DNA. (Kind of like with Mew being copied and
turned out to be Mewtwo.) There will be a new team called Team Planet. The leader
will be Cyrus all over again with a newer plot. It's to use any stolen Pokemon to stop
the corrupted Giratina. :sob: You, as the new Hero, will be the one who can successfully
stop it! :yay:
Spoiler: show
Maybe... xD

Any ideas to add to this will be greatly appreciated! ^^

~"Simple and Clean"~ Utada Hikaru

LoZ, KH, and Pkmn fan all the way! <3

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:57 pm

I suggest you take a look at the other already finished fan game about pokemon.
You'll usually find some inspiration in those.
As for the sprites, I can help you out if you're not good with spriting.
The rest is up to you, but if you have any problem with the corruption sprites, I can totally help you. :)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Okay, sounds great! :yay: Thanks!
I've been starting out my corrupted form of Giratina, but I don't really like it, but the wings.
I can post it soon and get opinions on what I should do with it.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:28 am

Just another quick advice, you shouldn't do it based on Gen 6.
Because there are no pokemon sprites for those, unless you found a completed sprites somewhere and the author allows you to use it.
Though I highly doubt that's possible.
I'm just a bit curious, when you said corrupted, do you mean like "out of control", or do you mean something like Mew and Mewtwo?

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:02 pm

honestly, I don't see the point in making the pokemon game systems from scratch.
unless you're doing it to learn programming. in which case, you may be better off doing a simple game, like spaceships shooting enemies, etc.

I mean, are you sure you're up to the task? programming the whole thing will take you what, a year? and then you'll still need to add 600+ sprites to your game, add each battle move which may do very complex things - not just deal damage, and thousands of pokemon map-tiles. and THEN you'll end up with a game that feels like any other pokemon game, which you can START working on: adding a new plot, corrupted Giratina, etc.

if all you want is to make a pokemon game with your own plot/graphics/maps/characters, you can just learn ROM hacking.

if you're against ROM hacking, another option is to use the "pokemon starter kit for RPG Maker XP".
it come with ALL pokemon sprites, moves, pc system -- you name it. the kit is used inside a game-making program named RPG Maker XP (RMXP). RMXP lets you easily edit maps, in-battle events, on-map events, visual effects and more. more importantly, it has built-in 'scripts', made in RUBY, which control various parts of the game (like menus, battle formulas, and the title screen). you can edit those scripts, like any computer program. you can add your own scripts. there are many custom scripts people make and share with others. someone even made a script which makes the game look 3D. the syntax isn't too diferent from c++. Ruby has a simple syntax, and it's pretty easy to learn. so, you'll already have all the base system, music, and sprites. leaving you plenty of time to focus on the important things.

>> My shop <<
Wishlist | Journal
DeviantArt | youTube
Top monsters site | Demo 0.1

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Okay silverwind actually said everything that I was thinking when I saw your post...
And I agree with the fact that RPG Maker is a way better choice.
Unless you're an expert with C++ scripts, if not, I recommend you to switch to RGSS/RGSS2/RGSS3 (RPG Maker script language based on ruby)
I'm personally a user of RPG Maker VXAce, and it is easier to start here if you're new to programing.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:06 pm

I was just using Pokemon as a practice to make a RPG, because that's what I always wanted to do.
1. I tried ROM hacking a lot before, and it always gave me viruses for some reason. Don't know why. :uhhuh:
2. I don't have money to buy RPG Maker. (Well, actually I do, but I'm saving it so I can move out. xD) And 30-day trial isn't enough to make even half of the game if it's going to be
quite long. I have tried RPG Maker XP before, and it was very fun to mess with. Just making the sprites were hard enough sometimes.
And I did look for the Pokemon Essentials kit for the RPG Maker XP before, but every link I tried said it was closed. So I had no idea what to do.
3. DeviantART DOES have some sprites for Gen 6, but of course I would have to ask permission then give them credit later on. I am a pixel artist myself so I thought I could do some.

But I do appreciate the suggestions, but most of what I already tried in the past. ^^; I wanted to do something newer. Got any ideas if C++ seem too complicated?

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:34 pm

if you can't find a download for the pokemon kit, ask in forums for RPG maker XP. someone who downloaded it before can re-upload it for you. I downloaded it myself long ago, I may still have it on my PC.
anyway, I'm glad to see not everyone hack programs instead of paying for them. I remember asking people on youTube for a good recording program, and all of them named the same, super-expensive program, and when I asked about that, people in the comment section basically said- it's probably hacked, everyone do that, etc.

>> My shop <<
Wishlist | Journal
DeviantArt | youTube
Top monsters site | Demo 0.1

Last edited by silverwind on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Let me just be super honest with you.
Is the game going to be commercial, or non-commercial?
If it's a commercial game, you're going to have a hard time getting permissions, and one person won't be enough.
If it's a non-commercial game, permission from artist will be easier, but what you're doing is wasting your time, since there will be no income, and you need money to live.
And I don't recommend making it super huge either, because your plot line doesn't sound very complete, you can probably make an 1 hour game on that.
The bigger the game is, the more time you're using, and from what it sounds like when you mentioned it, it'll probably take 2~3 years. (Other works, basic needs, extend plot line, and bug fixing)
If you have another job, and you don't live off making this game, I don't see the point of doing so.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:24 pm

silverwind wrote:
if you can't find a download for the pokemon kit, ask in forums for RPG maker XP. someone who downloaded it before can re-upload it for you. I downloaded it myself long ago, I may still have it on my PC.
anyway, I'm glad to see not everyone hack programs instead of paying for them. I remember asking people on youTube for a good recording program, and all of them named the same, super-expensive program, and when I asked about that, people in the comment section basically said- it's probably hacked, everyone do that, etc.

Actually... I really should have thought of that. Usually I don't like forums, because of the heavy opinions
that I'm not used to, but I guess asking for help wouldn't hurt. ^^ When I move out, I'm definitely going to try to get RPG Maker XP or VX. Probably XP, however, because I'm already used to it and stuff.

PandaKing wrote:
Let me just be super honest with you.
Is the game going to be commercial, or non-commercial?
If it's a commercial game, you're going to have a hard time getting permissions, and one person won't be enough.
If it's a non-commercial game, permission from artist will be easier, but what you're doing is wasting your time, since there will be no income, and you need money to live.
And I don't recommend making it super huge either, because your plot line doesn't sound very complete, you can probably make an 1 hour game on that.
The bigger the game is, the more time you're using, and from what it sounds like when you mentioned it, it'll probably take 2~3 years. (Other works, basic needs, extend plot line, and bug fixing)
If you have another job, and you don't live off making this game, I don't see the point of doing so.

It's going to be non-commercial of course, since it's a Pokemon game. I wouldn't have any rights for its art unless I made it. I usually do fan games to practice some coding and have an idea during it.
I made the plot really basic for now, because I know I would be "wasting" my time.
But hey! At least I'll have some knowledge of coding
\so I can make my own games that aren't based on other franchises. :yay:

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:34 pm

If you have the time and the money, go for it :)
One thing I found tough with pokemon game is capturing, I would recommend you to figure that out before you do anything else.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Alright! I might go on a coding forum too to see if someone can teach me
basic C++ coding for gaming. I usually like doing live instead of going on a tutorial, just in case I want to ask them something.
I hope I can figure this out. ^^;

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]