It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
push the sky away 

Hey, guess who remembered this forum exists????

Last week I watched the 3rd Bleach movie "Fade to Black" and it re-kindled my appreciation of all things related to implausible shinigami. I also borrowed a dozen volumes from the library, which are still sitting on my desk. This thread it where I'll babble about my feelings while watching or reading Bleach.

It took a week for me to download all THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SIX episodes, as well as the 3 other movies, and the specials. I'm really excited to have them all and to go back to the beginning. Even though these characters are very familiar and vaguely know where they end up, I want to have a relationship with them again.

Starting with "Fade to Black", which suffered from the usual 'too many characters so everyone gets 5 seconds to do their special move and pose', but I liked anyway. Ichigo's bond with Rukia is also overplayed but since it's been so long since I've seen it, it was nice to watch his emotions again. Byakuya's were more subtle, he's one of my favourites. I loved the scene of him walking through every room in his house, trying to figure out what was missing. Looking for something but not knowing what, only that it was important and not knowing why.

The villains were sad and made me cry. Mostly because of how Rukia reacted to their death. A few days ago she didn't know they existed, and yet they were in her heart and left her mourning painfully. I still don't really get how a character can die in the afterlife, but whtv. My finally observation is that Kon is hilarious and I always feel really bad when he gets left behind even if it's supposed to be funny.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:31 pm

watching ep 1!! SO NOSTALGIC! it's even crap quality, just like i remember. ORANGE RANGE oh man they were so good. this sooooooooong!!! ah, it's nice to see these characters again.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:46 pm

I apologise if you didn't want anyone to post...

/SOBBING You're doing a bleach re-watch omg when the manga finishes I'm going to do the same and your reactions are just omg exactly what mine are going to be I can see it now. I get a good laugh when I see how different Kubo's still was when he started drawing it - omg I can picture Toshiro in my head XDXD And Ichigo pfft he became a babe :D

itoshikute______________
itoshikute______________
________.._____i love you

████

████

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:19 pm
Profile WWW

Comments are fine! I'm constantly amazed by how characters change and grow up physically over the course of a long series. It's one of the reasons I stick with them even though I prefer stories with endings instead of endlessly on-going shonen arcs. BUT YEAH it's amazing to go back to the beginning and be all UBUBUBUBU BABIES.

So far I've caught up to like...episode 8! I forgot how SAD this is at the beginning. No big fights or SAVE THE WORLD just some sad little ghosts, people who had bad things happen to them, and friends trying to understand each other. I like how even now you can see Ichigo is disturbed by Rukia erasing his friends' memories.

Kon showed in ep 7 and I completely forgot about how sad his origin story is. That he could feel fear when in a pill form, knowing he was slated to die and everyone around him who was exactly like him was dying all at once... "for humanitarian reasons" augh. I can't stand how Soul Society is managed, they do some really awful things.

Since I have an aversion to sad stories, if I didn't know anything about Bleach I would have stopped watching it. The animation is bad, the characters don't seem to have a lot of life to them... There's a big difference between a series that only has 13 or 26 episodes and one that has over three hundred. I think I prefer the pace of a faster series but having this wealth of stories is good, too. I've often lamented of a really good show that it was too short and that I wanted to spend more time with the characters. Well, here's my chance! I know Bleach gets better, and while it does suffer from too-many-characters-itis I think I'll put up with it for the joy of watching Rukia and Ichigo's relationship develop. When I first watched Bleach I didn't pay a lot of attention to how in the OP, Rukia and Ichigo are standing face to face, side by side or back to back. Right from the beginning it's all about these two characters and everyone else revolves around them.

LATER:

Ichigo's mom!! :'(

It's good to see where his need to protect people comes from. A lot of heroes have similar origin stories and this one is pretty common but I liked how they handled it. It also sets stuff up later for Ichigo's dad and when he was talking to Kon, gives Ichigo a Big Bad to kill later, etc. The stuff with the rain and connecting people particularly makes me sad, knowing that Orihime suffers in Hueco Mundo. I didn't notice at all the first time around, when Ichigo says he went to ghost show despite hating it because his sister and dad love the show, and he's all 'what, this is normal' when Orihime says he's kind. She doesn't have an older brother to do that for her, anymore.

Orihime is one of the more interesting characters in Bleach, in terms of development, and seeing her trying to look happy and coming up with these dumb things to say because she doesn't want anyone to know how lonely she is... ;w;

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Well Bleach will end at some point, but I get what you're saying. Something like FMA (which I'm currently rewatching for the nth time :P) isn't terribly long, like Bleach, which means 1) it's easier to watch, and 2) the animation generally remains consistent. However, you're right, the good thing about really long anime is that they provide a lot of character development - and I like how the audience grows up with it. I mean, I've been watching Bleach for years.

Ah I went back and watched Kon's episode recently! I couldn't believe how sad it was when we first meet him - seriously though, my respect for him shot right up when I remembered what he'd been through. But he's changed so much hasn't it? He was kinda awesome, yet desperate and frightened, and now he's an irritating pervert... I think that's kind of disappointing actually. Kon needs to spend more time in Ichigo's body :)

itoshikute______________
itoshikute______________

████

████

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:34 am
Profile WWW

Kon is among my favourite characters. He's so loyal, and has genuine courage at times. Bleach has been around...it's gotta be ten years by now! That's forever, following the same story for a decade? That's an experience. I think it has ended now - I haven't been keeping up with it obviously but from what I've seen on tumblr it's concluded.

Right now I'm about to watch ep. 17. Ishida has been introduced in all his secret (albeit manly) place glory. He's also one of my favourites just because I like proud characters. Renji and Byakuya are about to take Rukia back to Soul Society. I don't like how Rukia is all "Renji? Arabai Renji?" as if she doesn't recognize him and hasn't been his best friend for years. I do like how they don't explain Rukia's story to start with, just saying that she's brought into a noble house and that Byakuya is her brother. The little hints of things are what I'm more interested in, like how Renji says it's the boss's version of kindness to collect her instead of strangers. It also makes you go back and wonder what Rukia was thinking when she gave Ichigo her power, if she even considered the fact that it was a felony at all.

Again the Quincy story shows how heartless the Soul Society rulers can be, and even though I understand their issue with balance you have to think that wiping out every single one of them was going too far. I'd also like to know why his first name on the test paper isn't Uryuu, but that's probably something I'll find out later or have to google.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Season 1 complete! Zangetsu is so hot, kya! Off to Soul Society. I like how they answered the question of why Urahara didn't go with them by having him touch the gate.

Things I forgot about until this re-watch:
- Ichigo's Engrish shirts
- Yoruichi is an old man & cat

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:41 am

isamunee wrote:
Things I forgot about until this re-watch:
- Ichigo's Engrish shirts
- Yoruichi is an old man & cat

omg I remember when Yoruichi's human form was revealed to me the first time! XDDDD

itoshikute______________
itoshikute______________

████

████

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:52 am
Profile WWW

I've started watching the 2nd season. It's a lot of introducing the captains and lieutenants, whom I've known for ten years so this is pretty boring. The only good part about it is seeing the supposed dynamic between Aizen and Gin.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Let's see... I'm on episode 33 of season 2. So far the only good point is seeing Hanatarou again! I forgot what his voice sounded like. It's nice to be in his presence without feeling uncomfortable now that a few years have passed.

I'm also on volume 40 of the manga, which is putting a weird disconnect between how much the characters have grown and where the plot moved to. It's still a lot of ... well, filler? or maybe it's better to say it's stuff that I don't care about. I was, however, stunned to see Matsumoto with half her torso ripped out. The art of much, much better in the manga so I might want to go over these books again later.

Bleach is one of those shows with too many characters and it went on forever because it kept making money but I'm sticking with it for the parts of it that I do enjoy. It's been a while since I've forced myself to be dedicated to a series - I usually start and then get bored and give up, even if a series is short. Somehow, the fact that Bleach is very long will give me a sense of accomplishment when I've completed viewing it.

Watched another: I forgot how young Yuzu and Karin were. That ep with the cat was dumb filler and unnecessarily sad but at least I got to see their relationship. Next came Hinamori, and I don't really like her?? The super innocent type doesn't interest me at all. I also forgot that Aizen faked his death. How it affects her...I don't remember how she deals with it but that's really the only thing I'm looking forward to in terms of her character, seeing her finally stop calling him Aizen-taichou (which she does in vol. 40 of the manga). So yeah that'll be a long time to wait.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:17 pm

Read a few more volumes. Ulquiria's death got to me! It's things like that which keep me reading despite all the "this isn't even my final form" nonsense.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 am

KENPACHI AND YACHIRU. I really like their relationship, it's pure outside of soul society's BS. New ending theme! I hope the OP changes soon. Hanatarou you are such a brave toaster. ;w; These episodes are bringing up some interesting question, like why Rukia killed someone, especially someone she refers to as -dono. And why does her brother not give a crap about her??? I remember some of the answers but still it would be nice if they spread it out instead of maxing it at the end of the season.

The fight with Byakuya is coming up and I remember being blown away by PERDY his flower petal attacks were.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Let's see. I'm at episode 42. I'LL MAKE A MAN OUTTA YOOOUUUU! It's really starting to bother me that the video for the previews spoil everything for the next episode. Not that it matters a lot??? But it would annoy me even more if I hadn't already seen these episodes before. Ishida and Inoue look really cute in Shinigami robes.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 pm

It's been a while!! Mayuri is so creepy. It would be nice if Uryuu would actually kill him. BUT NO. It still bothers me that Soul Society has people like that in it.

Fri May 10, 2013 11:41 am

It's been ages since I watched Bleach. Months!!! Right now my HD is nearly full so I need to start deleting the many folders of anime taking up all that space. The Bleach folder is 74GB so starting here is as good a place as any. On to episode 48!

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:41 pm

ep 55! I hate how Ichigo pauses before saying KUCHIKI BYAKUYA. Like he's so overdramatic. There's too much talking during fights. And seeing him knock out lieutenants with one punch this early on in the series is so dumb, compared to how strong the lieutenants are later in the series. SCALE?!?!?!?!

As a whole, I like Bleach, but the individual episodes just tire me out sometimes. Rukia is put up for execution for something dumb but Ukitake's betrayal during the execution is...what, totally ignored in the long term? Soi Fong is so unpleasant ugghh. Looking forward to getting on with the plot into Hueco Mundo. Ehe....which lasted forever.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Finished season 3! It was really satisfying. I forgot a lot of things, like why Rukia was important to Aizen (she had the magic ball in her soul) and what Kisuke had to do with it, and Byakuya's reasoning for not fighting the execution. He's one of the more interesting characters in the series, imo.

The next season is filler that I don't remember very well except it had those 3 doll people. I've also finished reading vol. 58. Unohana finally steps up! It was sad to see the top Captain die and Ichigo is lookin' pretty cool aged up. The villains are boring this time around but I'm still not looking forward to the end. Delay, delay!

Weirdly there are some episodes missing between season 3 and 4..... :( Nevermind, they were just sorted differently because the sub group changes.

And I had no idea that the screaming in the flower OP had lyrics. It's saying again realize that you're the only one, but still, pretty shocking to find out it wasn't just screaming but English words!

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]