It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
FRLG Hack: Pokemon Verdigris! 

Hello there!

I'm making my own hack game of Pokemon Fire Red. I'm basically taking a copy of FireRed, stripping it to next to nothing, and putting my game on top. I'm going to be using the 2nd post for progress reports, so check there if you'd like to see what I'm up to! And for more screenshots, please visit PkmnVerdigris on photobucket!

It's called Pokemon Verdigris!
ImageImage
The setting is the new Alyar Region, featuring 11 new cities! A varied landscape with all sorts of interesting features, from the amazing Coulee Dam to the fantastic Sky Bridge connecting Arylide to Ecru! And because it's my game, you get my favorite baddies: Team Rocket! Of course, they're up to no good. Only one person knows the true consequences if their plans succeed, and it's neither you nor them! This game is (loosely) set just before the main events in the first Pokemon movie. Giovanni reigns supreme, Team Rocket is terrorizing the region, and Mewtwo has disappeared to where ever it was Mewtwo went.

One of the basic things about my hack is that there are 4 starters to choose from! Three of them offer special bonuses to make the game more interesting, but they're hidden. (Not hard, don't worry!)

Now, one lets you read minds!

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage

This allows you to learn all sorts of things, from the location of secrets, to deeper details on the story's plot. Because come on, when do people REALLY spill everything they know to total strangers?

Another Pokemon lets you go out at night!
ImageImage

There's a lot of strange things that only happen at night... things that only this Pokemon will allow you to find! The kind people at the Pokemarts have included an upstairs resting area for you to sleep in. (If you're lacking the correct starter though, you'll sleep the night through instead of waking up!)

The third is for the adventurous types!

This third special starter allows you to access extra dungeons and areas off limit to the others! This is the only Pokemon able to give you the Cut and Flash HMs!

Other features:
Sequence breaking available! Don't want to fight Gym Leaders? Ok, don't! Want to ignore Team Rocket? Alright! Want to follow the river from shore to reservoir lake? Do it! Although if you don't fight the Rockets they won't be at their next dastardly location until you've beaten them and forced them to move on.

Eevee evolves to Espeon with Sun Stone, Umbreon with Moon Stone.
Feebas evolves with Water Stone.
Onix, Seadra, Scyther and Porygon all evolve via happiness.
Poliwhirl will evolve into Politoed at 40 if you don't use a Water Stone first.
Clampearl evolves to Huntail with Sun Stone, Gorebyss with Moon Stone.

Only one "fakemon", the Squirtle family gets black sunglasses.

I've got a pretty good thing going here, I think, but I could use the help of the VDex community to help me flesh out some details! I've got a lot of things I'm working on, but I'd love, love, love it if people would help me with ideas.

Now, for some things I need help with!
I need some help coming up with npc/trainer chatter, if anyone feels so kind as to help :)
Code:
For trainers! They need 4 groups of text. Example:
Opening: "Let's battle!"
Battle Win: "What? I lost?"
Afterwards: "I don't wanna talk about it."
Mind Read:"If I was a Charizard I'd eat you."

Code:
For npcs! They only need 2. Example:
Talking: "I just moved into town. It's a beautiful place."
Mind Read: "Man, this rug is an awful color. Who picked this anyway?"

Older form below spoiler
Code:
1. With mind-reading, what would you like to learn about or find? Extra plot details? Humorous thoughts? The location of Giovanni's Treasure?

2. With night-access, what night time events would interest you? Items? Extra story events? Roaming night-time Pokemon?

3. With bonus dungeons, what would you like to find in them? Extra baddies? Items? Rarer Pokemon?

4. Would you like me to create a trainer after you? If you'd like, please post the name, gender, trainer type (cooltrainer, bugcatcher, ect), and 2 or 3 Pokemon you'd like to have. Or just post the name and I'll add you in somewhere :)

5. I'm thinking of removing Great and Ultra Balls in favor of an unlimited, free supply of Pokeballs. Would this be good, or terrible?

6. There's a 1% encounter rate feature I'd like to make use of, what rare type would you like to be able to find with relative ease? Be reasonable, "Deoxys" is not a reasonable answer. "Totodile" might be.

7. Mewtwo- good guy or bad guy? Please share some of your opinions on the matter!

8. Anything else you'd like to share?

Thanks for looking!! If you have anything to comment, please post away! :D

Last edited by Smallbirdie on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon May 21, 2012 12:20 am

5/20/12-
I posted this thread! :D Now, to those reading, many things in this post probably won't make sense, it's most for my reference. The thinking is if I post here, I'll be more committed to accomplishing things.

Things accomplished today:
Finished second story of Pokecenters, added warp.
TODO: Make warp only triggerable by 0x5C, 0x5D and 0x5E
Uploaded screens to PhotoBucket.
Oops, crashed advancemap. Broke Eton map.
Tested tiles from Fallow, to Citrine, to nest (sans cave), to Eton. Problem with Eton map connection.

To do tomorrow:
Finish ALL Fallow City non essential NPCs. Add coding for night warp, finish nighttime Pokecenter. Unlock Pokecenter door.

5/21/12
Today's Accomplishments:
Perfected (completely!) the applymovement script, the mind read script, the hidesprite script.
Finished nighttime Pokecenters.
Found error with Eton- Advance map doesn't like my offset.

5/22/12
Wasn't home most of today, not much done. Going to try to perfect some iffy codes before bed. Will pick up again in the morning.

5/23/12
Pretty productive day! Decided that route north of Citrine was too difficult to place a cave after. Made and finished (sans people) the map. Other map moved to south of Gamboge.
Replaced all erroring 2nd store Pokecenters.
Got 2nd story bed script to work PERFECTLY! If you have the correct Pokemon, you wake up. Although you do step under the bed. :dealwithit: Without the correct Pokemon, you "sleep pleasanty through the night."
Matched home bed script to pokecenter. Added flag to prevet early nght access.
Filled more trainers. Still haven't fgured out how to make them walk... But if you talk to them, everything proceeds as normal. I dunno, guess it just makes them easier to avoid?
Finished all but one Citrine house.
Made route 2 prettier.
My pc's video card fan died, the desktop fan pointing in the case isn't sufficient, and my laptop's a little brain fried still from contracting Virut. So today's a mobile device day.

5/whatevertodayis/12
Another productive day! Which is good considerig I won't be home tomorrow. Squished a lot of bugs today. All scripts for obtaining starters are COMPLETED. I added access to night for everyone in the first town and forest only. Everything is going according to plan! You can successfully read the minds of everyone but Nurse Joy and her night shift alter ego. Oh, and all scripts for the first city are done completely, except the one to fight your sister before leaving town. The whole beginning is almost in the rearview mirror. Lots of bug squishing. Also added a lv16 pidgeotto to the first route. He will eat you, run. Seriously, running out of pokemon is a gamebreaker in my rom and I don't know how to fix it. Don't die, ever.

5/28?/12
Been busy with family over the weekend, will get a full day of game working tomorrow I think. Managed to get the running shies script to actually work though. Don't know why it didn't want to before, but, eh. Fixed some connection errors, added more nonessential npcs. Does anyone know if firered comes with a tileset with a nest in it? I've got a homeless Pidgeot that currently lives in green bushes. Gotta go, will try to get more done today if I can but I'm gonna be busy.

5/31/12
FINALLY got some time in. Completed two more Routes, fixed two others, added more night roaming areas. Threw the Pidgeys in swamp grass. Sat down and numbered all routes correctly, and decapitalized ones I've finished. Also picked out all the correct tilesets for everywhere. Except the Lake Ruins :( Maybe blue rock? Dunno. Also, I learned how to correctly set all the Rocket's and regular NPC's flags to trigger separately so that the correct npcs are in the towns depending on whether Rockets are supposed to be there or not. Also wondering if people would notice if I reused cave maps from the frlg game... >.> Imagination fails today on caves. NTS- Togepi is a good egg choice. Tomorrow? Come up with more trainer chatter :(

6/3/12
Home today, but playing on Vdex. Will resume hack work once I catch my Suicune :)

6/4/12
Finished map for cave north of Citrine, and the west-of-the-river side of the daycare area. Tested walking from new game, going all the way to Ilwaco. One map error has me stumped, can't connected back to Fallow city from the forest at night. Add more grass in some areas, edited some wild Pokemon. Lot more to do with that.

6/5/12
Messed around with the trainer problem, they still glitch when they see you, so I turned their movement off again. Trying them in AMap 1.82 doesn't help :( Got a solution to my Squirtle problem, now I can finish Ilwaco's design and add night map. I need to study up on the Safari Zone's script so that I can put in the night section. And route seven is beautiful now ^_^

6/7/12
Forcefully smashed Carefully edited the world map to fit into 128x160 with everything wonderfully 8x8 boxed. Check it out!
Inserting it is going to be a pain >.< But I will succeed! Also worked on some spriting projects, some of which may or may not even make it into the hack. I tried to find how to make a trainer's Pokemon shiny also, but all I can find is that three trainers in the battle town have shiny Pokemon. But I can't find their code data :(

6/8/12
Oops, almost forgot to post today. I couldn't find the data for the trainers with the shiny Espeon in the game :( It's "TWINS JEN & KIRA", but I don't see them anywhere in A-Trainer??? So, I don't know how to give trainers shiny Pokemon yet. I *sort of* fixed the problem getting back into Fallow town from the east side at night. For whatever reason, the connection right to left just ISN'T WORKING. Why? NO CLUE. And apparently value at $7(gibberish) is not a header. I dunno. So I just made a warp to warp you where I want you. It works, it just looks funny for now. I also learned more about why my givepokemon script died when you try to nickname your Pokemon. Fixed. Also, with the giveitem script the text says "ent available..." So I'm going to manually add [Player] received [buffer1]! to everything. Spent hours looking for Suicune too, still can't catch him. Oh, and badly, badly crashed an older Verdigris copy when I tried to make custom grass tiles. This is why we keep backups! Oh yeah, and Ilwaco has been finished for some time now, just have to finalize the Safari Zone.

6/something/12
I've been a terrible combination of lazy and depressed lately and haven't gotten much done. I did enlist some help to fill the routes with correct wild Pokemon and trainers though! Feeling a renewed sense of wanting to complete this, so I have a better update soon.

6/26/12
Wrote a lot of essential npc text today. Will insert it all with the correct event coding tomorrow. Hey, I did dishes today, I accomplished plenty. Bah humbug.

7/31/12
Threw things under spoilers. FOUND OUT HOW TO MAKE POKEMON (wild, trainers, given, found) SHINY! :D FINALLY! Gave sunglasses to the Squirtle family, broke Wartortle's front and Blastoise's back OTL Will re-fix Thursday because I'm not home tomorrow. Actually, may work on it tonight unless I keep playing with Shinys. FREE SHINY PIDGEY FOR EVERYONE! Haha, wouldn't that beat all, I figure it out and give Pidgeys. I bet you'd all hate me. I'm thinking really ONE SHINY EEVEE FOR EVERYONE! :D And now I can make that trainer with shiny Pokemon! I'm frazzled about one thing though, I'm going to post and see if I get replies.

Last edited by Smallbirdie on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Mon May 21, 2012 12:21 am

Hope its okay to post ;3;

1. With mind-reading, what would you like to learn about or find? Extra plot details? Humorous thoughts? The location of Giovanni's Treasure?
    Hmm, I think it would be interesting to give hints which leads to "invisible" items? that could be cool :D saves you getting an Itemfinder? And plot background is always interesting.
    2. With night-access, what night time events would interest you? Items? Extra story events? Roaming night-time Pokemon?
    Maybe, Access to certain areas, like night Shops? Hmm and Night pokemon is nice too :D Perhaps, you know, tides go up and down maybe another area can be unlocked with some rarer dark pokemon can be found? IDK
    3. With bonus dungeons, what would you like to find in them? Extra baddies? Items? Rarer Pokemon?
    Items, definately items. It just oozes with EXPLORER! :D Fossils perhaps? but make them "invisible" in the 'walls' too :D like an aerchealogical dig!
    4. Would you like me to create a trainer after you? If you'd like, please post the name, gender, trainer type (cooltrainer, bugcatcher, ect), and 2 or 3 Pokemon you'd like to have. Or just post the name and I'll add you in somewhere :)
    Lol i would love to be in it! Give me a Manectric and a wooper and I'll be set <3 I'd like to be a Cooltrainer (f) or a Psychic (f) :D Actually im cool with any trainer type. Or 3 Manectric...One with Flamethrower! :D
    5. I'm thinking of removing Great and Ultra Balls in favor of an unlimited, free supply of Pokeballs. Would this be good, or terrible?
    Unlimited balls could be nice, seems more anime-esque too. I say go for it! Makes it different and unique :)
    6. There's a 1% encounter rate feature I'd like to make use of, what rare type would you like to be able to find with relative ease? Be reasonable, "Deoxys" is not a reasonable answer. "Totodile" might be.
    Starters are always good, but perhaps maybe, it could be like in Viridian Forest - where you could also find pigeyotto, but it was really really hard? the 1% could be an evolved pokemon of something found in the area. (Nidoran - Nidorino for example)
    7. Mewtwo- good guy or bad guy? Please share some of your opinions on the matter!
    Hmmmm, depends on the timeline. is geovani arround? make him bad! It makes me intrested to see the pokemomn controlled! And maybe the player can liberate him later on and then he's kinda nuetral -good.
    This is really interesting :) I hope you post screenshots of your progress, and if you need any assistance (i've made to some extent a pokemon ROM hack, i know a little.) feel free to ask! I could test the game for you if you like (when the time comes)

Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for posting! It's totally open, I only wanted 2 posts.

*scribbling notes furiously*
Night shop! I LOVE IT! :D And thank you kindly for the comments I hope you don't mind if I steal use some of your ideas! And I never knew Manectric could be taught Flamethrower, I learned something about a Pokemon today :) I thought I'd have to whip out A-Trainer and force a TM into it!

I should add this to the first post, that this game is set at approximately the time right before the main events of the first Pokemon movie. Giovanni reigns supreme, although Mewtwo is not in his possession.

Mon May 21, 2012 1:03 am

Sounds really cool! Thanks for sharing with us! I look forward to learning more about it and eventually seeing the final version!

All of the above! Maybe there could even be a mini sub-plot that can only be accessed by reading the mind of the right person, with an extra place to visit/pokemon otherwise really rare, etc?

You can never go wrong with items! And the roaming night-time pokemon sounds interesting too!

Definitely sounds like a great place for some items and rare pokemon! Extra baddies would be a plus too. :)

Sure! Supernerd Morr(anr) would seem suitable. :D Eevee, Lapras, and Dragonaire would be awesome! :)

That sounds reasonable, given the game's mechanic for catching 'mon. It would set it apart, as well - so I say do it!

Hmm tough one. Not sure if this is something that you want to configure per area or have global-wide. If it's global, would it be possible to split the 1% to multiple 'mon, like all the starters or something similar? If it's per area, then the above suggestion of evolved forms of what's already there might make sense. If it's neither of those... then I have no idea. lol

Bad guy! It seems to me that because of who it was created by, it would tend towards bad even without any outside influence. But then, I don't know all of the canon related to it since the first generation, so... beats me what actually makes sense canonically.

This sounds like a great project! Maybe I'll post about the project I've been working on lately, now that you've given me some inspiration! :)

Trade!

~Wishlist~

Mon May 21, 2012 1:14 am

Sounds pretty interesting so far! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I do have a question re: the fourth starter, though - I assume we won't be able to know the starters' various advantages beforehand, so won't people who choose the fourth starter basically...screw themselves over inadvertently?

1. With mind-reading, what would you like to learn about or find? Extra plot details? Humorous thoughts? The location of Giovanni's Treasure? Everything! I think having mind-reading-only mini-quests or subplots might be interesting too.

2. With night-access, what night time events would interest you? Items? Extra story events? Roaming night-time Pokemon? Once again, all of the above. I'm not picky. xD

3. With bonus dungeons, what would you like to find in them? Extra baddies? Items? Rarer Pokemon? You know the drill.

4. Would you like me to create a trainer after you? If you'd like, please post the name, gender, trainer type (cooltrainer, bugcatcher, ect), and 2 or 3 Pokemon you'd like to have. Or just post the name and I'll add you in somewhere :) omgosh this would be the best thing ever. xD I'd love to be a female Ace Trainer [Cooltrainer] with a Blaziken, a Charizard, and an Umbreon. And I guess my name would be Wyndi?

5. I'm thinking of removing Great and Ultra Balls in favor of an unlimited, free supply of Pokeballs. Would this be good, or terrible? Hm...this could go either way. If you're keeping all the original catch rates, then rarer Pokémon will be much more frustrating to catch. On the other hand, not having to spend money on Poké Balls makes catching Pokémon easier overall.

6. There's a 1% encounter rate feature I'd like to make use of, what rare type would you like to be able to find with relative ease? Be reasonable, "Deoxys" is not a reasonable answer. "Totodile" might be. Starters. Can't think of anything else.

7. Mewtwo- good guy or bad guy? Please share some of your opinions on the matter! Well, since this is before the first movie, Mewtwo would be the bad guy, right? But I absolutely love post-movie Mewtwo [the one who cares for any stray Pokémon and haunts Cerulean Cave], so I would love to see him incorporated. Maybe it could be a progression with the Team Rocket quests - have him reform bit by bit as you defeat more Rockets and confront him [and do the hero thing by showing him that humans and Pokémon can co-exist], and then ultimately have him become a good guy when you defeat Giovanni? Hell, maybe the two of you could even take on Giovanni together! :3

8. Anything else you'd like to share? This answer has been replaced with lots of generic fangirlish squealing.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage

Mon May 21, 2012 2:00 am
Profile WWW

Treasures are always nice. how baout letting the player 'read' trainers battle strategy, or where they caught their rare pokemon.

I like the idea of catching rare dark / ghost types. and in 'extra story events' you can add the option to break into Team Rocket secret base etc.

y-yes *-*
I want to be a female aroma girl/ rich girl trainer, named Silvia. with a team of troll butterfrees:
Butterfree (attract, flash, psychic, toxic) - male, Jolly
Butterfree (poison powder, protect, morning sun, whirlwind)- female, Impish
Butterfree (attract, sunny day, solarbeam, hidden power Fire) - female, Mild

Interesting, but like others said, increase the catch rate of some pokemon.

Feebas, starters, and fully-evolved pokemon (only slow ones so the player can run away if needed)

good for pokemon, bad for people!

The game sounds unique, good luck :D
and.. may I make a suggestion? how about changing the states of some pokemon ?
you know, just to make things like Dunsparce useable, and things like magikarp easier to level up. Shirogane made a list of pokemon tiers, by their states. you can use the list of the lowest tier to see which pokemon can use a slight boost.

>> My shop <<
Wishlist | Journal
DeviantArt | youTube
Top monsters site | Demo 0.1

Mon May 21, 2012 5:38 am

Awesome!

Hmm..?

An event that can be accessed from the dream. So that includes new map, new Pokemon, items, etc. that can be found during the dream. Or night festival where trainers gather at a certain place during night.
But seriously, you can make an event during day and night? I don't know how. I've finished 2 hacks and messed up 1 hack but dunno how to set events in day or/and night. D:

New scenery! This is the priority! Haha.
Well, of course new (rare) items, Pokemon, and Legendary maybe.

Cool! I'd love to have me in there. :)
I can also supply you the sprite. This is because in FireRed, there are some unused sprites (unless you use them all xD), like Hoenn's Elite Four, Steven, May, and Brandon (and Hoenn's Gym Leaders, Team Aqua & Magma too? I forgot).

5. I'm thinking of removing Great and Ultra Balls in favor of an unlimited, free supply of Poke Balls. Would this be good, or terrible?
I don't think this is good. We don't have anything to waste on money. Changing Great & Ultra Balls to something else more useful and lower the price of Poke Balls is my suggestion, though.

Starters. What else.

A guardian who is brainwashed and taken to be a bad guy by the evil team (Team Rocket). So Mewtwo will be found again and again in the map. :)

Well, I've finished hacking 2 ROM; NPG's Team - Quest in Hoenn (Ruby Hack) and Pokemon Rocket Domination (Fire Red Hack). I can help a little if you need. But I don't know a lot about changing map tiles. lol.
And if you need someone to test the game, feel free to ask me.

ImageImageImage

Last edited by Foxamivalth on Mon May 21, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 21, 2012 6:15 am
Profile WWW

Just WOW. If you want any testers I'd be happy to help. This looks like the best hack I've read about in a long time!
I'll answer those questions when I get on to a computer because my phone won't let me copy them into this post.
Good luck with your project! :)

Mon May 21, 2012 7:15 am

I personally love wisecracks from old people, and also possible hints on where they caught their rare Pokémon- maybe even battle strategies to easily counter or even utilise to our advantage..

Similar to the GSC timeline, where you could Headbutt trees on different locations for different Pokémon. Also, set it such that some Trainer will only battle you at Night, like the policemen guarding the Daycare in the GSC series.

Of course, a rare item and possibly Evolved Pokémon (i.e Lairons instead of Arons, Electivires over Electabuzz, etc.)

I'd like to be a Pokémaniac(female) by the name of Linda and my Pokémon line up will be Poliwag(female, Lax nature with Scald, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump and Hypnosis), Emolga(female, Sassy nature with Volt Switch, Toxic, Aerial Ace and Air Slash) and Zangoose(female, Jolly nature with Close Combat, Thunder, Night Slash and Razor Wind). :DDDD

Depends on how it works. Like many raised, if this was implemented then the catch rates must be adjusted in favour of this. Dusk Balls can also be made available but at a higher rate.

I'm a sucker for Starters, do make this happen.

Good guy, definitely. Make him the guardian of Mew and players have to defeat him in order to catch Mew.

The idea itself is too perfect :D

*STRETCHES OUT POLIWAG LEG FOR MILES*

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Sporadically active. If I post, it means I was asked to see something.

Sometimes, I sell natured Pokémon. Black market's good this time of year.

Mon May 21, 2012 7:29 am

1. With mind-reading, what would you like to learn about or find?

Maybe having access to a certain legendary depending on which ability you have.
    You could meet someone who is secretly a Rocket grunt, and having mind-reading abilities,
    you discover a secret hideout where they're keeping a legendary they have captured
    (Zapdos, maybe?). Also, since sequence-breaking is possible, being able to encounter a
    legendary would be an incentive for the player to go through the plot.

2. With night-access, what night time events would interest you?

At night, most of the trainers would've already gone to sleep, so maybe a whole
    new set of trainers would pop up. Also being able to encounter wild pokemon that only
    appears at night, like Zubats and Spinaraks and stuff (pretty much how VDex also have
    different pokemon available at different times). Also, maybe you'd be able to meet someone
    who knows a secret about a legendary's nest (Articuno, maybe?). Entering that location
    at daytime, you'd normally find nothing, but at nighttime, you will be able to see the legendary
    resting in its nest, and you'll be able to battle & catch it.

3. With bonus dungeons, what would you like to find in them?

Fossils! Also dungeon-exclusive pokemon. Following the trend of legendaries above,
    you could have access to a cave which, after exploring the cave deeper, you find out is
    actually a volcano, and you will be able to encounter a certain legendary (cough Moltres
    cough).

4. Would you like me to create a trainer after you?

That would be cool! Maybe have a trainer named Bryan (any sprite will do) and make
    him have an Electrode, Magneton, and Jolteon in his party.

5. I'm thinking of removing Great and Ultra Balls in favor of an unlimited, free supply of
Pokeballs. Would this be good, or terrible?

As much as I would love having unlimited Pokeballs, one thing I actually enjoy in the
    Pokemon games is running out of Pokeballs when I need them the most. I know we all have
    experienced this, and some may be frustrated when it happens, but a Pokemon game wouldn't
    be complete without it (at least for me lol). If you decide to go for it though, I think boosting
    the catch rates of rare pokemon would be a good idea.

6. There's a 1% encounter rate feature I'd like to make use of, what rare type would you
like to be able to find with relative ease?

Finding starters in the wild seems like a great idea, and I would definitely spend all my
    time hunting Eevees if they are available in the wild. Or do Eevees normally pop out in the wild?
    Idk lol.

7. Mewtwo- good guy or bad guy?

I think being a bad guy suits Mewtwo better. But maybe an event would trigger Mewtwo
    into becoming a good guy, and you'll be able to catch it idk yay.

This sounds like a very promising game. I'm wondering, though, how will this game be
    available to the public once you release it? Will you be providing downloads for ROM files for
    free or for a cost? And will you go through a BETA version to test things out? The VDex
    community will gladly help you out. Also, if you need help regarding modifications in sprites
    and stuff, I could always help. :)

Also, everything above are just suggestions. It's okay if they don't get through. I'm just
    excited with how your game will turn out. ;D

Mon May 21, 2012 7:53 am
Profile WWW

1. With mind-reading, what would you like to learn about or find? Extra plot details? Humorous thoughts? The location of Giovanni's Treasure? : EVERYTHING. Mindreading is always fun. ALWAYS.

2. With night-access, what night time events would interest you? Items? Extra story events? Roaming night-time Pokemon? Mmmm, maybe things you couldn't see in the day become visible? Or the other way around, Ninja trainers that usually hide in the grass is visible or something.

3. With bonus dungeons, what would you like to find in them? Extra baddies? Items? Rarer Pokemon? Pokemons that can't usually be accessed without events in the main game, or game-specific varieties.

4. Would you like me to create a trainer after you? If you'd like, please post the name, gender, trainer type (cooltrainer, bugcatcher, ect), and 2 or 3 Pokemon you'd like to have. Or just post the name and I'll add you in somewhere :) Fun Ooh :D
Well, my trainer name would be Jamie and I would be a Cooltrainer (Since there is actually an Ace trainer named Jamie in HGSS /doppleganger)
So my pokemon would be a Zangoose (shiny if possible lol - probably not but uh) (Female, knowing Crush Claw, Close Combat, Shadow Claw and Thunder) Ninetales (Female,

5. I'm thinking of removing Great and Ultra Balls in favor of an unlimited, free supply of Pokeballs. Would this be good, or terrible? Ummm, I think keeping Great/Ultra balls would be better, or catching legendary pokemon will become a troll D8 And, running out of pokeballs are THRILLING. It gives the game some drama. With unlimited pokeball, there would be no screaming when one reached a shiny pokemon with no pokeball. 8D

STARTERS. Maybe if you can get GenIV and Gen V's in the game, you should do something like that BECAUSE THAT'D BE AWESOME

Total good. Mewtwo should have been sealed within TeamRocket HQ being brainwashed or something, and you need to go rescue it with a guidance of Mew. You can't catch Mew but it leads you to places which leads to Mewtwo 8D mew and mewtwo should be brothers /shot

8. Anything else you'd like to share? TOTALLY AWESOME. This is. If you need any testers, man I would love to help! /loves hacks

. . . J O U R N A L T W I T T E R U M C A V I _ C R E D I T . . .
Tsuncookie is my lovely twinny!
it's been so long since i've been on here so tell me if i say anything wrong orz

Mon May 21, 2012 8:23 am
Profile WWW

This seems really cool! Can't wait for it to be finished! :D

I think that all of the examples would be good. Also, hints for in-game puzzles would be cool as well. I also think that just random drivel that characters are sometimes thinking would be nice too. Like, it wouldn't be helpful or anything, but just interesting.

I think that Pokemon more common to night would be pretty cool, as would extra story events. Items, I'm not too sure of, unless the items were available later in the game or were harder to get without night.

I'd say more and stronger trainers, stronger/rarer Pokemon, and harder to find items. Like, even a post-game dungeon would be pretty cool.

If you wanted to, that would be the best thing ever! :D If you did, could I please be a Lass named Jen, with an Aggron, a Magneton, and a Skarmory, please? Or even if I weren't a trainer, it'd be cool too.

In a way, it'd be good, 'cause Pokeballs would be unlimited and free, but in a way, It'd also be worse, due to the fact that Pokeballs have a worse catch rate than Ultra Balls and Great Balls, so it'd be more tedious to catch a legendary Pokemon, or a Pokemon with a low catch-rate.

I'd say starters/Eevee/Porygon, etc. Baby Pokemon might be something to consider, as would 2nd evolution pseudo-legendaries such as Pupitar and Dragonair.

I'd say that Mewtwo would be a good guy in a bad guy's skin. Like, throughout the game, he'd be portrayed as a bad guy, until there was some sort of shocking plot twist that'd be unavoidable no matter what sort of run you're doing that'd reveal that Mewtwo was good all along. Or something.

So far, It would be a game that I would play. Most definitely. Keep up the good work! :D

My 3DS FC is 0044-4243-1137. Send a PM if you add me!

Mon May 21, 2012 8:30 am

Thank you for your thoughts everyone! It's really helpful to me!

Things for sure adding:
Fossils underground
Optional fetch quests with Mindreading
Mindreading locates legendaries! Even ones only accessible by other starters ;)
Special Rocket Bases for each starter! Night base, Locked base, Underground base.

@EVERYBODY- I was worried about restricting access to legendaries based on starters. But would splitting up say, the trios, for the 3 good starters work out? And if you did choose the fourth (even though he's not special) that you'd be locked out of many legendaries?

@Wyndi - No worries about the starters bonuses! Your father basically says, "Take this and punch stuff, it has no bonus. Or go find a special one." You're told right off which power each has (once you find them, of course).

@Foxamivalth - I'm really kind of cheating on the whole night thing. You know A-Map has weather, right? I've made doubles of all the maps I want night time access to, and set the weather as "Cloudy". Darkens the map considerably, and I don't need to make new tilesets!
I made them separate from all other connections and accessible only through beds that only activate if you have the right Pokemon.

@Bryan - Since ROM sharing is "technically" illegal, I'm hoping to get a word of mouth, behind the screens way to direct people to the download link for the .GBA file itself. Patching's such a hassle to explain over, and over, and over... I'm not really certain :( I do plan to release in beta once I get all gamebreaker kinks out. Maybe to second gym or so.

Mon May 21, 2012 12:33 pm

So are you able to find any of the four starters in this game in the wild? Because if you're working towards pokedex completion, it's rather difficult to trade over ROMs/emulators?

My 3DS FC is 0044-4243-1137. Send a PM if you add me!

Mon May 21, 2012 4:35 pm

The three starters have an ability right?
make the fourth one really strong, like an psuedo legendary - but no ability. So it makes up in pure strength? Does that make sensE? YOu gotta make the 4th one be somewhat appealing, expecially if it locks you out of legendary pokemon.

hmm. people can figure out how to patch if they really wanted to try the game, im ean most people who have played Hacks should know how to do it by now, right? :)
as for getting the file to us... im not entirely sure, PMing us wont work will it...?

Mon May 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Profile WWW

@Jooce- So far, no. The scripts I've set up require the starter or it's evolutions to be in your party for the unique events to work. Now that you made me think about it though, how about after beating the Elite 4 (or whatever I'll call them) you'll be given all the starters? Then you can go back for everything missed! Of course, you can gameshark in the other starters, but that's totally cheating. I've been considering sneaking in a "Remove Pokemon" script for such a situation too, beware ;)

@Kismet- Ever been through Light Platinum's thread on thePokeCommunity? @_@ The same "how cn i play dis game?" was asked (and answered!!) every other page >.> Not to mention that LP had to be patched over only one specific rom or you'd only get a white screen. Anyhoo... Would PMs work? Or maybe a (very) detailed description on how to patch (with links to the rom) hosted on another site?

Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Smallbirdie wrote:
@Jooce- So far, no. The scripts I've set up require the starter or it's evolutions to be in your party for the unique events to work. Now that you made me think about it though, how about after beating the Elite 4 (or whatever I'll call them) you'll be given all the starters? Then you can go back for everything missed! Of course, you can gameshark in the other starters, but that's totally cheating. I've been considering sneaking in a "Remove Pokemon" script for such a situation too, beware ;)

@Kismet- Ever been through Light Platinum's thread on thePokeCommunity? @_@ The same "how cn i play dis game?" was asked (and answered!!) every other page >.> Not to mention that LP had to be patched over only one specific rom or you'd only get a white screen. Anyhoo... Would PMs work? Or maybe a (very) detailed description on how to patch (with links to the rom) hosted on another site?

Ooh thats a nice idea, having access to the other starters after the elite 4.
i think i played Light Platinum once o3o but ive got heap sof Hacks to play so forgive me if i dont remember it ;;
I was going to suggest you host this on pokecommunity but yeah, you'll be bombarded with the questions again. You should just ignore them XD
Hmm. You could somehow find a way to patch onto a rom and then host the .GBA file via a sharing site... PM us the website and make us look for the title. Therefor you are not giving us the link, you're just telling us where it is stored? So that doesnt exactly infringe anything right??

Mon May 21, 2012 7:00 pm
Profile WWW

Smallbirdie wrote:
@EVERYBODY- I was worried about restricting access to legendaries based on starters. But would splitting up say, the trios, for the 3 good starters work out? And if you did choose the fourth (even though he's not special) that you'd be locked out of many legendaries?

I still think the fourth starter is getting a little screwed over here. Would it be possible to just give the fourth starter its own legendary as well? Although I do like the idea of having access to all the starters after the Elite Four have been beaten, just to even the playing field a bit.

Smallbirdie wrote:
@Wyndi - No worries about the starters bonuses! Your father basically says, "Take this and punch stuff, it has no bonus. Or go find a special one." You're told right off which power each has (once you find them, of course).

All right, that makes sense!

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage

Mon May 21, 2012 8:43 pm
Profile WWW

Wow this is a really cool idea
Looking forward to watching progress on this hack o -o

As for input...

I'm not completely familiar with the limitations for hacking FRLG, but you could implement things like finding out randomly generated passwords (for optional areas) from rocket grunts. It never made much sense to me that they would sometimes just flat-out tell you these things in the game after you beat them, when it was a verbal password rather than a key or something.
As others have said, it seems like the mind-reading starter is really made for puzzle solving side quests. I guess the specific bonus of this would be, more loot?

I definitely like the idea of different trainers and NPC's being available at night. More of a night life in cities, for example, or back alley dealings :U
Or finding out about team rocket plots or meetings well before they happen. Espionage side quests!

Rare pokemon, definitely. Mind-reader seems like it finds its niche in items already, and night-access in extra fights, so I'm voting for rare pokemon. This all of course depends on what direction you do take with each one - my guesses may be off :U

I just joined this site like two days ago :I
But if you have room somewhere...
Could I be a Gentleman trainer named Kane, with Mismagius, Honchkrow, and Ludicolo?
...I like nice hats. If I were a gym leader everyone would have to wear fancy hats.

As someone else said above, it kind of removes one of the most practical uses for money in the game :[
Unless you find another use for it, of course. The only other thing I ever spent money on in the games were the vitamins, to be honest.

I'm with everyone else on this - finding other starters at random would be awesome :O

I don't have any ideas for this everyone else's were pretty good imo :x

Best of luck to you on this o -o Hacking a game is a lot of work
I've never tried it with a pokemon game before in particular, but it's a lot of work regardless of the difficulty. Godspeed and such :awesome:

ImageHall of Fame ・ ImageDragon Heirs

Tue May 22, 2012 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next