It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
[IMPORTANT] We're likely closing soon. 
Leading King

Edit March 15th 2017: Thanks to mainly user kaelanstorm, as well as some DP purchases, we've been able to remain open. We're still going on a month by month basis, however - so we don't have a guarantee how long we'll be able to survive.

January server costs: covered
February server costs: not yet

Server payments are due on the 2nd every month (U$264) and on the 9th every month (an additional $35).

This means we're guaranteed to stay open until February 2nd, but after that it's uncertain.

I can keep the site open as long as our server costs are covered. I'll keep this post updated with information.

--------------------------

Hi everyone.

This is a post that’s been coming for a while, and one I’ve been dreading to write, but… it’s reached a point where it’s inevitable, unfortunately.

As you all know, VDex has been steadily declining over the past few years. What you may not know is that at the beginning of this year, it started earning less money than what it costs to keep the server running.

This inevitably dooms the site to closing, since I don’t have the means to pay for server upkeep out of pocket.

In addition to that, I’m finally slowly coming out of a very, very long period of depression (at least ten years), which means I have to get my own life back in order - I need to get my professional life back on track, and I need to take care of myself so I don’t relapse. I’m also trying to start fresh, which is pretty scary at my age (for those who don’t know, I turned 32 this year), and I haven’t really been able to give VDex the attention it deserves, so…

It’s not easy for me to admit, but I’m no longer able to keep this site running, financially and mentally. It’s been a really great time - almost 7 years now - and this site has led me to many great things. But, unfortunately, I have to bring this chapter of my life (and of the lives of everyone who is still here, playing) to a close.

I know it’s selfish of me, but I’d rather not pass ownership to someone else. I have my own reasons for this, and I know it’s not exactly easy to understand (especially when I'm not saying what they are), but I hope you guys can forgive me.

Right now, the plan is to keep the site running until December, so people have time to tie as many loose ends as possible and finish their collections as much as possible, if they want to. After that, it’ll be shut down for good once the server's payment cycle ends.

In light of this, I will no longer be releasing new parcels starting September. I’m sorry to everyone who was waiting for more Mega Pokémon, or for the type-swapped starter line to finish.

If people wish for refunds for their recent DP purchases, please let me know over PM. Please do keep in mind that if too many refunds are requested, we may not be able to stay open until December. Please don’t issue a chargeback with your credit card provider - that costs more money than a refund to resolve, and it can compromise my PayPal account and yours.

If anyone would still like to purchase DP in spite of this to keep the site running as long as possible, please feel free to do so, but be aware that shutting down, at this point, is inevitable.

The following changes will be made starting September:

- Parcels will no longer be available for purchase.
- Shiny rate will be greatly increased.
- Retro rate will be greatly increased.
- All legendaries and once-only catches will be available on the map.

The following changes will be made starting October:

- Everstone/BP/ShP breeding will always succeed and the fee for withdrawing the egg will be reduced.

Additionally, if you still have any DP left over you’d like to spend (or if you decide to purchase more), you can PM me to exchange 4 DP for any old parcel of your choice starting right now.

If you can think of any other restrictions you’d like to see lifted to help you finish your collections before we shut down for good, please let me know.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help make this an easier experience for everyone.

This site has been a huge part of my life for a very long time, and I’m grateful to every single one of you who helped make it happen.

Thank you for everything. And I’m really, really sorry.

Edit: Ardonye set up a topic for people to post their contact info to stay in touch here.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:18 am
Profile WWW

Well, honestly I can't say I didn't see this coming. I can't say I won't be sad to see it go, but it's been a great couple of years to be honest. Personally, I'm hoping that you, or someone else finds a way to keep the site afloat between now and December, but I won't get my hopes too high up. Good luck on your next project, however!

Also is there any way you could put out a sprite library/folder/whatever it's going to be referred as for the custom sprites on the site? I'd like to get my hands on them all for reference purposes.

Tumblr
3ds friend code: 1048-8623-6142
Spoiler: show
And yes, I stalk minagi's posts like a hawk. <3

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:25 am
Leading King

We have enough money to keep the site running until December (we won't if we get too many refund requests, though). After that, though, as it currently stands, it has to shut down.

Quote:
Also is there any way you could put out a sprite library/folder/whatever it's going to be referred as for the custom sprites on the site? I'd like to get my hands on them all for reference purposes.

Yeah, I can definitely look into that.

Twitter | Reversed Side A archive

Please, ask VDex gameplay questions in the help forum.

Image Image

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:28 am
Profile WWW

I was going to edit my previous post with a comment about making everything available in the DP shop but you already thought of that. I've actually got another question regarding all of that though, why not bring back the couple of discontinued/ridiculously silly items like the inert ball too?

Edit:
Shirogane wrote:
Yeah, I can definitely look into that.

Thank you so much.

Tumblr
3ds friend code: 1048-8623-6142
And yes, I stalk minagi's posts like a hawk. <3

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:31 am
Leading King

Rikari wrote:
I was going to edit my previous post with a comment about making everything available in the DP shop but you already thought of that. I've actually got another question regarding all of that though, why not bring back the couple of discontinued/ridiculously silly items like the inert ball too?

That'd be feasible, yeah. At this point there's no reason to not bring them back.

Image Image

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:37 am
Profile WWW

I can't. Really. Vdex has been a drug. A way for me to play and forget all my problems... i've been playing hard in order to be first on Shiny caught. It's a pain to read this. Really.

Any way to have collections exported as files for memory or a WAY to play vdex offline ? Something we could continue forever. It's way too hard.

5000 Shiny caught : DONE
Buying BP in bulk | IRC
ImageImage

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:46 am

Ah, this is really depressing.
I just found this site a week ago, but I wish I'd found it so much sooner.
This is literally the best Pokémon fan game out there, in my opinion.
I'll be really sad to see it go. Especially since I just started haha... :(

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:48 am
Leading King

@Aligatueur: Playing offline won't be possible, but you can save the pages for your collections if you want to keep them as a memory. All browsers should offer a way to save the current page to disk.

I'm sorry, I wish there was more I could do, but financially it's just no longer feasible. This hurts me more than I can express, too. I wish I had been able to get something else up and running that could keep VDex paid for, but I failed.

@Zombilion: Sorry that we have to close when you just started. Thanks for the kind words, though. It really means a lot.

Image Image

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:50 am
Profile WWW

We can't just have basic function like refreshing / moving into maps... Just making a offline vdex by infinite balls etc ? Idk not something hard and able to download once vdex is down ?

It's fine you did what you could and I just can say thank you. I never loved a game that much.

Edit : i'd love Master Ball aviable in shops if possible.

Buying BP in bulk | IRC
ImageImage

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:53 am

Shiro, I just want to thank you so much for this site. It's been a pleasure playing on it and I really wish I could help keep it up. I had plans to donate a lot in the future (Vdex was #1 on my donate to list) but I guess I didn't take into account how close the end of the site was. It's going to be really sad to see this site go considering I had long term plans on things to do (All retro pokemon in sprite gallery, all shinies, etc (VERY long term goals)), but again, I want to thank you with all my heart for this amazing site, it is one the best, if not the best, site I have played on. I'm going to miss both the site and you as well.

Image SourPiña

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:20 am
Leading King

Aligatueur wrote:
We can't just have basic function like refreshing / moving into maps... Just making a offline vdex by infinite balls etc ? Idk not something hard and able to download once vdex is down ?

It's fine you did what you could and I just can say thank you. I never loved a game that much.

Edit : i'd love Master Ball aviable in shops if possible.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to have an offline version without rewriting it completely.

Image Image

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 am
Profile WWW

Arg I was hoping for something possible in order to keep this forever. That's sad.

And something can be done with starters ? And Ghostly in a permanant way if we put the night ?

Buying BP in bulk | IRC
ImageImage

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:39 am
Leading King

Starters are already always available, so I'm not sure what else could be done about them.

It's possible to make ghostmon always available at night, yeah.

Image Image

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:47 am
Profile WWW

For starters increased encounter for Shiny Hunting them ?

And nice for the Ghatly o/

Edit : i'd love to see Ditto Ball / Master Ball for 1 DP. Something to help with legendary etc ? And a boost for xp per hour in order to have time to level up everything ? Sorry if it's too much

Buying BP in bulk | IRC
ImageImage

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:49 am

That's too bad. I was thrilled to finally make an account last year, and I had a great time on this site while it was up and running.

It'll be sad to see it go...

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Petition to stop rickrolls: http://bringvictory.com/

~˚◊˚

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:06 am

Ah, that's a shame. I'll be the first to admit I've never been that active, and that I've complained about some of the site's issues, but it's still sad to see it go.

I sincerely hope all the bunches of sprites will be made available somewhere lasting even after the site closes, though. It's a shame to see the site go; it would be a bigger shame if nothing of the uniqueness survived afterwards.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:45 pm
Manly Princess

This makes me sad, but thanks for letting us know Shirogane! I'll always cherish the time I had here.

[monthly parcel giveaway]
[shop] [buying] [journal] [natures] [wishlist]

Please PM me for urgent matters.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Vice-Leader Prince

Very sad to see this, but completely understand why it's happening. Still proud of you and proud to have served with you. o>

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:40 pm
Profile WWW

Absolutely heartbroken. This site was my comfort zone during and after my father's death back in 2011, and I've never been able to let it go. I'll make sure to cherish the amount of time we have left on here. Thank you for all the memories and comfort :sob:

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:05 pm
Profile WWW

This site has always been a huge comfort to me spanning living on three different continents in 6 years. Very sad there's no possibility of a personal offline map refresher type thing, but I can't complain and I understand it is not possible. I'll always be grateful for this site. Thank you for everything, Shiro.

Would it be possible to put Ditto balls in the Castelia shop for regular Pokedollars? I know its a lot to ask. But realistically I know I and most won't probably be donating much anymore so I'd prefer they be more accessible than the DP shop. I'd like to be able to use my favourite item more freely to try and finish my shiny dex collection. I'd prefer regular shop but wouldn't mind PP shop too. I just have a bunch of money and nothing to spend it on. Also I figure they were only ever parcel items and not in the regular DP shop for more than a month.. Thank you very much in advance if it is possible.

Buying: Shinies and Items!
(Offering Parcels/Items/Pokemon)

Last edited by Rikuo on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 387 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next