It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
████ Guide to VDex Partners l 05/03/12 ████ 

quicklist basics affection profiles sources

UPDATES & INTRODUCTION (a.k.a. the tl;dr)
      Quote:
      Vdex partners (gijinkas from the comic Reversed), are, without a doubt, one feature that should not be missed out while on Vdex. Sure, you might prefer shinies, event pokemons, special natures, etc; but when it comes to the essential, we would all turn towards the Partners. Why, if we even gave it some thought, partners are varied in all cases. They can be shiny, have a unique special nature, and have the cutest (or creepiest in some cases) personalities. So really. How could you ever miss out on that combination of special?

Partners do not just follow you around on the map and talk to you according to their peeves while traveling; they also have other interesting features. For one, they can send you items they find by mail. Each partner also has a special effect on the game itself; for instance, Ada raises the chance of encountering a shiny pokemon in the wild. In addition, these partners will also get you a special item with which you can exchange for a legendary-summoning item. However, this only happens once you have maxed the happiness/affection of your partner, like any bond between a true trainer and their beloved Pokémon.

But yes, it's not like you're here without a partner to start with though; the default partner you are paired with when you sign up is Yun*, the Kadabra who makes things less expensive (put simply).

* Trivia: When Vdex first started, it had been defaulted to Yun as it is now (because he was the only partner back then), and when new partners were added, the default had been changed to random. However, it was defaulted back to Yun because he was a suitable starter partner, on November '09.

With 12 partners now available here with different special effects, players/trainers can choose through the Pokécell which partner they would like to be with in order to maximize their enjoyment on Vdex. Here's a guide that would hopefully help on choosing the one that best suit a user. If you think you already know everything about partners...well, hopefully there is still something you can learn from this...

Feel free to comment/point out about anything; whether it is some detail that I've probably overlooked or not even know, or just some grammar/technical mistakes. Like messing up a Kirlia icon and posting a Porygon-Z icon instead.

This guide will be updated at my pace; sadly, due to schoolwork, mood swings and life stresses, this pace might not be the best ever. My apologies. I still have to work on the introduction and basics section as well as the sources, but the rest should be all good to go!

Last Updated: 04/05/12 - Finished the profiles. Renewed the layout.

Last edited by Yata on Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 am, edited 46 times in total.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:10 am

Here is a quick reference list of all 12 partners (along with their Pokémon species) with their specialty described briefly, how to raise their affection, as well as their corresponding legendary as of June 2011. Remember, this is a brief list, supposedly to remind which partner does what; details are not included. Their names link to their twitter accounts.

Quote:
      Image ADA [s. gyarados] shiny appearance chance increase.
      +1/hour, +1/owned Magicarp fed (50% chance)Articuno.

Image ALLEN [gallade] berry growth time decrease.
      +1/berry planted/harvested.Shaymin.

Image ASH [sharpedo] water-caught Pokémon catch-rate increase w/ lure ball.
      +1/hour, +3/caught Pokémon via water routes. Zapdos.

Image BEL [gengar] money through idling increase. shop prices increase.
      +1/hour, +20/item taken from caught pokémon (10%)Giratina.

Image Image HARI&NAO [umbreon&glaceon] items mailed chance increase.
      +1/hour.Latios/Latias.

Image JAN [s. kirlia] default caught pokémon’s happiness increase. friend ball.
      +1/hour, +1/owned Pokémon fed (50% chance)Kyogre.

ImageLYRIT [s. milotic] catch-rate huge increase. huge switch-out fee.
      +2/hour.Moltres.

ImageREI [froslass] daycare Pokémon compatibility increase, egg experience increase.
      +1/hour, +1/100PD spent at daycare.Rayquaza.

ImageYUN [kadabra] map shops price discount.
      +1/200PD spent in map shops, except berry purchases,
      always rounded DOWN, and does not accumulate between purchases.
      Mewtwo.

Image Z [porygon-z] analysis of catch-rates, trial arena successes, IVs.
      +1/hour.Deoxys.

ImageZAN [zangoose] female Pokémon catch-rate increase. love ball.
      +1/hour, +3/female pokémon caught.Cresselia.

Quote:
    Although you are assigned a partner, you can change to other partners by clicking on the Pokécell icon Image, which is right next to the Pokédex. It should be noted, in this case, that there is a fee of 500PD (with the exception of Lyrit; read further for more details) to be paid for switching, and that the partner you have switched out will have their happiness reset back to 0. After all, they’re heartbroken that you have switched them out.

As for the chances of getting a mailed item through Image, it is 1 in (350 - affection) chance every hour, meaning 1 in 95 at max affection, except for Hari&Nao, who have a 1 in (280 - affection) chance every hour, meaning 1 in 25 at max affection. (source)

About their legendary summon items, you may only get the corresponding item once when you max the affection of your partner, unless you switch out and re-max the happiness. In other words, in one round of maxing out a partner's happiness, you can only get the special item once. You can go for another round by switching out your maxed happiness partner, resetting their happiness, and taking them again later. This applies to every partner.

Quote:
    The partner's happiness can be evaluated through an NPC in Pallet Town. The quotes the little girl gives vary with your partner's current happiness range. The ranges and quotes association will be given in a later section. (( Though, because I'm still building this up, I'll put the associations here for now. ))

Once you have reached max affection, this same NPC will give you a special item. This is the special item you will trade with for the legendary summoning item.

Quote:
    000 – 020 "You guys don't know each other much yet, huh?"
    021 – 050 "I think you're getting to know each other. Right?"
    051 – 100 "You guys get along."
    101 – 150 "You can really call each other partners, huh? But you're not really friends yet."
    151 – 200 "You're friends, right?"
    201 – 254 "You're really good friends!"
    255 (Max) "You can almost smell the trust between you guys! It's pretty amazing."

Once you get your special item, you'll need to go to Erin from the Sinnoh Fight Area. This NPC will exchange it for a corresponding summon item.

Of course, partners are more interesting than just being someone who can get you a legendary. Notice that their quotes change at different levels of affection, their reactions to certain places are peculiar, and their personalities are sometimes just adorable. Somehow, one can easily get attached to a partner, no matter how silly they can be.

Last edited by Yata on Thu May 24, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 36 times in total.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 am

Quote:
      Image ADA
      Spoiler: show
      SPECIES ; Gyarados
      GENDER ; Female Image
      NATURE ; Tsundere
      DESCRIPTION ; Ada is described as a woman, whom at first glance looks like a man (and often mistaken as a man) and who seems to be "constantly angry at something". You'll definitely see/realize this in her quotes, where she either complains about aspects of the location you are in, or she shares some of her rather cold mood. She also claims that she is definitely not Tsundere. Ada also states in her map quotes that she was born near Blackthorn City. It is also to be noted that Ada dislikes (shiny) pokemon collectors whom she describes as "snobbish".
      QUOTES ;
        "If those squirrels were real, they'd be dinner by now. What? You think I eat sunlight or something?" (Viridian Forest)
        "Caves are the most annoying places ever. They're dark, the passages are way too narrow, and stupid bats screech at you every five seconds." (Caves)
        "Ehh... cities aren't my forte. Full of snobbish collectors..." (Cities)
        "...Stupid place. Stupid tourists. Hate it here, waiting for you back there." (Lake of Rage)
        "...Heh, this was a perfect home for Magikarp. Stupid trainers were too damn worried about their precious ~dragons~ to care about us." (Dragon's Den)
      Ada's mailed item messages are usually short (and in denial)
        ■ Title: "Whatever" Message: "I don't care for this ______ Berry. You can take it."

GAME EFFECTS; Boosts chances of encountering shiny pokemons in the wild. This chance can range between 1 in 7373 to 1 in 5323 depending on Ada's affection. (statistics from Cykotyks' appearance rates guide). At max happiness, the shiny encounter chances would be the 1 in 5323 (instead of the 1 on 8192 default rate). NOTE: Ada's happiness RESETS to 0 each time you catch a shiny from the wild, which will affect the rate of shiny appearance.

MAIL ITEMS; Aspear Berry, Sitrus Berry, Iapapa Berry, Pinap Berry, Grepa Berry, Nomel Berry, Belue Berry, Yache Berry, Coba Berry, Colbur Berry, Rowap Berry, Water Stone, Dive Ball, Lure Ball
        ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Image ImageImage

SPECIAL ITEM; Blue Shard ➧ Blue Flute ➧ Articuno
      ImageImageImage

NOTES ON RAISING AFFECTION;
        ■ Like other partners, she gains +1 affection for every hour spent on the vdexproject site (disincluding forums).
        ■ Ada also has a 50% chance of gaining +1 affection every time you feed a magikarp that you own. (You do not need to be OT)
        ■ However, Ada's affection will reset to 0 if you catch a shiny pokemon because she dislikes collectors. This affects the shiny appearance rate boost.
        ■ Note that Ada's affection WILL NOT reset to 0 if you HATCH a shiny pokemon. (I'm assuming she thinks it's "natural" and "coincidental" considering that she doesn't know about brightpowder.) (source)
        ■ Catching an event shiny pokemon WILL reset Ada's happiness even though she might not affect the shininess encounter rate of said event pokemon.

NPC MON;
        D/P sprite
        ■ Since March 2010.
        ■ Holding a Sour Ball Image
        ■ Stats starts with 20 in Cool , Tough and Smart .

Image ALLEN
      SPECIES ; Gallade
      GENDER ; Male Image
      NATURE ; Mommy
      DESCRIPTION ; Allen, a mother-figure man who is often concerned about your safety and health, is described as to be the "very image of a gallant swordsman" even though he is known to be a good cook, housemaid and gardener. (He is also known to possess a broom that turns into a sword.) However much gallant and motherly Allen can be, it is to be noted that he is aquaphobic.
      QUOTES ;
      "Oh, this place... it is off-limits to visitors now, but ah, I have always wanted to inspect the kitchen..." (Old Chateau)
      "T-Traveling on water is... s-so very... e-exciting. Ha... haha..." (Water routes)
      "Gracious, this place is a mess... is that a towel on the bed? Dishes in the restroom sink? This place is an open invitation for a colony of germs..." (Bill's House)
      "The weather here can be very unstable. I brought you a coat and an umbrella just in case." (Route 119, Hoenn)

GAME EFFECTS; Allen makes the berries grow faster; he is a passionate gardener after all. The hours that berries take to grow is cut by 10-25% (always rounded up) depending on his affection. However, there are no effects on 6 and 8 hour berries.
        At max affection, (25%)
        10h berries will take 7.5 hours to grow.
        16h berries will take 12 hours to grow.
        36h berries will take 27 hours to grow.
        48h berries will take 36 hours to grow.

MAIL ITEMS; Fresh Water, Soda Pop, Lemonade, MooMoo Milk, Berry Juice, Tea, Rage Candy Bar, Lava Cookie, Old Gateau, Rare Candy
        ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImage

SPECIAL ITEM; Wise Glasses ➧ White Flute ➧ Shaymin
      ImageImageImage/Image

■ The one and only way to raise Allen's affection is to plant/harvest berries. His affection goes up by +1 every time you plant / harvest berries. This does not mean that you get +1 when you plant a berry and +1 when you harvest the same berry. It means for each time you put in a berry, you get +1.

NPC MON;
        ■ D/P sprite
        ■ Since February 2010.
        ■ Holding an Enigma berry Image
        ■ Stats starts with 20 in Cool , Beauty and Smart .

Image ASH
      SPECIES ; Sharpedo
      GENDER ; Male Image
      NATURE ; Stupid
      DESCRIPTION ; Thinking that he is asking the most pertinent, most interesting and wisest questions, Ash is a Sharpedo like none other, ....whom most people would usually call a "moron". So well, irony aside, Ash is a slightly clueless and slightly slow (in terms of understanding situations) fellow who loves asking questions and attempt at answering them himself while walking around on the maps.
      QUOTES ;
      "...Heh. ...Huh? Stupid grin on my face? What stupid grin on my- HEY don't call me stupid!" (Verity Lakefront)
      "What's up with this place? The weather's like my trainer picking out clothes... "How about this" "No maybe this" "Okay THIS no wait I lied" Geez just effin' decide already!" (Route 119)
      "Huh? What's up with that... pink fetus-cat?" (When visiting Mew.)

GAME EFFECTS; Ash gives a boost to the catch rate of a Lure Ball (which will become purchasable in map shops if you have him as your partner, and which can only be used in water areas), varying from 6x to 48x depending on Ash's affection.

MAIL ITEMS; Cheri Berry, Leppa Berry, Figy Berry, Razz Berry, Pomeg Berry, Tamato Berry, Spelon Berry, Occa Berry, Chople Berry, Tanga Berry, Enigma Berry, Helix Fossil, Dome Fossil, Root Fossil, Claw Fossil, Lure Ball
        ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

SPECIAL ITEM; Red Shard ➧ Yellow Flute ➧ Zapdos
      ImageImageImage

■ +1 affection for every hour you spend on the vdex site (not the forums)
        ■ +3 every time you catch a pokemon in the water areas (not including fishing)

NPC MON;
        ■ D/P sprite
        ■ Since March 2010.
        ■ Holding a Spicy Ball Image
        ■ Stats starts with 10 in Cool and 30 in Tough

Image BEL
      SPECIES ; Gengar
      GENDER ; Male Image
      NATURE ; Truthful
      DESCRIPTION ; Bel is a young man whose definition of truth and being truthful could be revised if anything had to be said about him. He loves money and valuable little things such as Pearls and Nuggets (the gold ones), and has a habit of stealing them here and there from wild pokemon.
      QUOTES ;
      "Traveling all over everywhere really is the brightest highlight of life." (Route 3)
      "Collecting coins people dropped and keeping them was a really bad habit I used to have." (Route 3)
      "Ghosts are only loyal to themselves. Don't expect anything different from me." (Old Chateau)

GAME EFFECTS; Bel gives a boost in money making. Idling money will get a bonus +50 to +200 PD, and his finds are usually valuables that sell for quite a bit. However, due to his shoplifting habits and stealing from wild pokemon, you'll have map shop prices go up by 25% and no wild pokemon you catch will ever have an item.

MAIL ITEMS; TinyMushroom, Big Mushroom, Pearl, Big Pearl, Stardust, Star Piece, Rare Bone, Nugget, Heart Scale
        ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

SPECIAL ITEM; Amulet Coin ➧ Black Flute ➧ Giratina
      ImageImageImage / Image

■ +1 for every hour spent on the vdex site (not the forums)
        ■ +20 for every time Bel manages to steal something (held item) from a wild pokemon you caught (10% chance)

NPC MON;
        ■ HGSS sprite
        ■ Since May 2010.
        ■ Holding a Pearl Image
        ■ Stats starts with 20 in Cute and 30 in Smart .

Image HARI&NAO Image
      Image Image
      SPECIES ; Umbreon (Hari) - Glaceon (Nao)
      GENDER ; Male Image (Hari) Female Image (Nao)
      NATURE ; Distant (both)
      DESCRIPTION ; Hari is very tall and known to be a giant in that aspect whereas Nao is short and known to be a midget. They are both very strange and mysterious, as they are quiet and hardly ever speak. They seem to be uncomfortable with anything and anyone excluding themselves.
      QUOTES ; (thought most of the time you might just have three little dots)
      "Nao: Hari...
      Hari: I lived here once. ...I hoped never to return."
      (Pallet Town)
      "Nao: Ghosts...
      Hari: They're harmless."
      (Old Chateau)

GAME EFFECTS; Hari and Nao have a higher chance of mailing you items than any other partners, and this chance increases with affection. At max affection, the chance is 1/20.
      MAIL ITEMS; Pecha Berry, Persim Berry, Mago Berry, Nanab Berry, Qualot Berry, Magost Berry, Watmel Berry, Wacan Berry, Shuca Berry, Kasib Berry, Custap Berry, Everstone, Fire Stone, Thunderstone, Water Stone, Soothe Bell
        ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

SPECIAL ITEM; BlackGlasses or Silk Scarf ➧ Soul Dew ➧ Latios or Latias
      Image / ImageImageImage / Image

■ +1 per hour spent on the vdex site (not the forums)

NPC MON;
      Image Image
        (Hari) PT sprite
        ■ Since January 2010.
        ■ Holding a Custap berry (each) Image
        ■ Hari's stats starts with 30 in Cool , 20 in Tough
        ■ Nao's stats starts with 30 in Smart , 20 in Cute

Image JAN
      SPECIES ; Kirlia
      GENDER ; Male Image
      NATURE ; Gullible
      DESCRIPTION ; Manliness is what he wants to be, and Allen is his role model. Sadly, that word doesn't describe him at all, and he is nothing close to Allen. What would one expect from a boy wearing a cute loli skirt? Nevertheless, adventures excite him, and he definitely wants to tag along with you... Though whether his enthusiasm would excite you or bore you is a whole other story...
      QUOTES ;
      Ah! Can you smell the sweetness of the grass? Take a deep breath in; doesn't it make your heart sing?
      Oh! I can see your reflection...! You look so dashing in the water...uuumm...I am sorry if that was forward...
      ...Oh, it's a meadow! Once upon a time I would dance through meadows like this, hand in hand with my love...but those days are long-since past...

GAME EFFECTS; Friend balls are available in map shops. His innate happiness makes all caught pokemon start with a higher happiness level. At base affection, the bonus is +10, while when Jan's affection is maxed, the bonus is +120. When maxed, every caught pokémon would have maxed happiness. So much happiness!
      MAIL ITEMS; Leppa Berry, Oran Berry, Persim Berry, Lum Berry, Sitrus Berry, Liechi Berry, Ganlon Berry, Salac Berry, Petaya Berry, Apicot Berry, Lansat Berry, Starf Berry, Friend Ball, Dawn Stone
      ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
      SPECIAL ITEM; Letter ➧ Blue Orb ➧ Kyogre
      ImageImageImage

NOTES ON RAISING AFFECTION; Jan likes it when you feed pokémon, so every time you feed a pokémon that you have to be current owner (but not necessarily OT), you have a 50% chance of getting +1 affection. And he also has the usual +1 per hour spent on the website.

NPC MON;
        D/P sprite
        ■ Since June 2010.
        ■ Holding a Rare Candy Image
        ■ Stats starts with 20 in Beauty , 30 in Cute

Image LYRIT
      SPECIES ; Milotic
      GENDER ; Male Image
      NATURE ; Yandere
      DESCRIPTION ; Those who do not know what a yandere is might not see the sarcasm in this description. Lyrit is a man who is often mistaken as a woman because of his women's kimono. He's known to be perfectly sane, not creepy, and anything but psychotic. His love for throwing knives and pointy things obviously makes things a bit more doubtful though.
      QUOTES ;
      "Are you tired? Would you like to nap? I'll watch over you as you sleep..."
      ■ Noir (upon switching Lyrit out): "To change partners, you need to pay a fee of 8000 to cover medical assistance to our staff due to potential injuries from sharp objects. And do watch out for incoming weaponry flying in your direction. Is this acceptable?"
      "Doesn't this seem like the kind of place that makes you want to say something...romantic?" (Faraway Island)
      "Hmm? The red Gyarados that lived here? Hoho~ Oh, it's nothing. I've never heard of it... really." (Lake of rage)

GAME EFFECTS; Lyrit's not-expected toughness seem to scare pokémons to stay in their pokéballs. In other words, his effect is a huge boost in catch rate. At base affection, it'd be +15, going up to +90 when the affection is maxed. This boost is applied after the ball's catch rate bonuses. If you don't really understand the math to it (to be honest, me neither) check this guide on catch rate calculations.
      There's a catch to it though, one cannot just exploit this without having to pay up.... If ever you decide to switch Lyrit out, there will be a fee of 1000 PD, at base affection, which can increase to 8000 PD, if you had maxed his affection when you switch him out.
      MAIL ITEMS; S.S. Ticket, Heal Ball, Dive Ball, Lure Ball, Rare Candy, Prism Scale
      ImageImageImageImageImageImage

SPECIAL ITEM; Red scale ➧ Red Flute ➧ Moltres
      ImageImageImage

NOTES ON RAISING AFFECTION; The only way to raise his affection is +2 per hour spent on the site.
      NPC MON;
        D/P sprite
        ■ Since March 2010.
        ■ Holding a Bitter Ball Image
        ■ Stats starts with 50 (max) in Beauty , 10 in Smart .

Image REI
      SPECIES ; Froslass
      GENDER ; Female Image
      NATURE ; Sarcastic
      DESCRIPTION ; Looking at her smile, one would definitely feel some kind of uncanny-ness about her, as a projection of her cynical, sarcastic and sadistic personality. She is known to be best friends forever with Bel, and have some kind of grudge against Jan.
      QUOTES ;
      "Do graveyards scare you? They shouldn't. The dead can't do anything... ...Only lament for their failures in life. Even an enraged ghost is powerless now that Pokémon are gone. Surprised? Spirits could manifest themselves through us. But not anymore. If you could hear what they have to say... ...You'd learn a thing or two, I'm sure..." (Mt. Pyre, every floor compiled.)
      "Oh? Do you want to be the very best? Like no one ever was? Is catching them your real test And training them your cause? I do suppose you're traveling across the land... And searching far and wide for each Pokemon... But will you ever understand the power that's inside?" (Pokémon League, every region compiled.)

GAME EFFECTS; Rei, as ironic as it seems, helps you with Pokémon breeding. If you have her as a partner, she will automatically raise the compatibility level by 1, of two compatible Pokémons in the Daycare. In addition, she gives a +15 to +270 bonus to egg experience gained per hour.
      MAIL ITEMS; Dawn Stone, Lax Incense, Full Incense, Luck Incense, Odd Incense, Pure Incense, Rock Incense, Rose Incense, Sea Incense, Wave Incense
      Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
      SPECIAL ITEM; Old charm ➧Green Orb ➧ Rayquaza
      ImageImageImage

NOTES ON RAISING AFFECTION; For every 100$ (rounded down) spent at the daycare (retrieving eggs), +1 affection. And the usual +1 for every hour spent on the site.
      NOTE: Discard fees do not affect Rei's affection. (source)
      NPC MON;
        ■ D/P sprite
        ■ Since June 2010.
        ■ Holding a Dawn Stone Image
        ■ Stats starts with 30 in Beauty , 30 in Smart .

Image YUN
      SPECIES ; Kadabra
      GENDER ; Male Image
      NATURE ; Megane-kun
      DESCRIPTION ; Yun is an intelligent, sophisticated and knowledgeable gentleman, probably too knowledgeable for his own good since he is known to talk endlessly about things people do not really care about. He's a very sweet person though, and is very suitable for beginners in this game, which is why he is the default partner when a user signs up.
      QUOTES ;
      "I have never personally been to Pallet, but from my studies I would say it is closer, demographically speaking, to a village rather than a town. Had I had the chance to visit, I would most certainly have enjoyed the opportunity to become acquainted with such a renowned scholar and his research facilities." (Pallet Town)
      "Perhaps it was some manner of trend for respected scholars to set up their laboratories in remote, small towns in every region. It is rather peculiar." (New Bark Town)
      "In my studies I have learned that during a specific time period, the Viridian Gym was constantly closed for unknown reasons. I strongly suspect this coincided with the period in which, rumoredly, a mafia boss was the local Gym leader." (Viridian City)

GAME EFFECTS; Yun gets you discounts on map shops starting from 5% and maxed at 20% off regular prices. These discounts are not valid for anything that cost 10,000 PD or more.
      MAIL ITEMS; Poké Ball, Great Ball, Ultra Ball, Rawst Berry, Lum Berry, Aguav Berry, Wepear Berry, Hondew Berry, Rabuta Berry, Durin Berry, Rindo Berry, Haban Berry, Jaboca Berry
      ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
      SPECIAL ITEM; Twistedspoon ➧Diary ➧Mewtwo
      ImageImageImage

NOTES ON RAISING AFFECTION; Yun gets +1 affection for every 200$ you spend in map shops, disincluding berry purchases, and always rounded down. Items that are not affected by Yun's discount will not affect his affection either. (Source)
      NPC MON;
        ■ D/P sprite
        ■ Since November 2009.
        ■ Holding a Jaboca Berry Image
        ■ Stats starts with 10 in Cool ,50 (max) in Smart .

Image Z
      SPECIES ; Porygon-Z
      GENDER ; Indeterminate
      NATURE ; Troll
      DESCRIPTION ; Yun is a knowledgeable person, no doubt, but who's to compete with Z? Z is just...data and random facts turned into a seemingly male shotaloli. Z talks in binary and/or hex code and usually tends to just analyze surroundings or, really, just random facts about the surroundings. He is also known to be a carrier of many rare TMs, and probably one of the biggest reasons he is a popular choice. He also mentions being from Celadon City.
      QUOTES ;
      "52656c6576616e7420417265613a2047616d6520436f726e6572" which means "Relevant Area: Game Corner" (Celadon City)
      "01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110110 01100101 01110010 01100001 01100111 01100101 00100000 01101100 01100101 01101110 01100111 01110100 01101000 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110010 01101111 01110101 01110100 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101100 01100100 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 00110100 00110101 00101110 00110010 00111001 00110100 00111000 00110010 00111001 00110011 00110010 00111000 00111000 00111000 00111000 00111000 00111000 00111000 00111000 00101110 00101110 00101110 00100000 01101011 01101101 00101110" which means "The average length of all routes in the world is 45.2948293288888888... km."
      Binary translator: here

GAME EFFECTS; Z likes analyzing things for you, though not everything; most of them happen to be quite useful: catch rates (in %), what the pokémons IVs are at high affection, and an idea of the probability of success with Trials (shown with words such as "decent" etc)
      MAIL ITEMS; S.S. Ticket, Up-Grade, Dubious Disc, Mimic, Rollout, Ancientpower, Double Hit, Synthesis, Thief, Mean Look, Odor Sleuth, Pay Day, Transform, Heat Wave
      ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
      SPECIAL ITEM; Machine Part ➧ Life Orb ➧ Deoxys
      ImageImageImage

NOTES ON RAISING AFFECTION; He gets the usual +1 affection per hour spent on the website (disinclud. forums)
      NPC MON;
        ■ D/P2 sprite
        ■ Since July 2010.
        ■ Holding a Dubious Disc Image
        ■ Stats starts with 30 in Cute , 30 in Smart .

Image ZAN
      SPECIES ; Zangoose
      GENDER ; Male Image
      NATURE ; Idiot
      DESCRIPTION ; Ridiculous and silly playboy who thinks he knows the best pick up lines for girls. He flirts with them probably 80% of his time, or otherwise he is busy being whiny over things like towers, spiders, and sand. He does say the funniest things though. So here, have some quotes...Note that his quotes are not the same if the player is male. Because of course. He does not like being stuck with a guy.
      QUOTES ;
      ■ "Arceus almighty it is cold here. Here, I'll warm you u- OW. Hey! I'm just trying to- OKAY OKAY I GET IT NO POINTY OBJECTS PLEASE" (Route 217)
      ■ "...You know babe, do we really have to be here? ...I mean, no, it's not like I don't like forests or anything. And it has nothing to do with the bugs either. AHHH AHHH SPIDER AHHH KILL IT" (Eterna Forest)
      ■ "You know what sucks more than Zubats? Whismur. The little wimps start crying at the drop of a hat and the sound is just so wait no no little Whismur I didn't mean that no pleaseaaaaaaaaaa" (Rusturf Tunnel)
      ■ "Here dude, this isn't going to get me any chicks, so you can have it." (partner gift, if player is male)
      ■ "Yo, wanna go for a swim? What? Put my pants back on? You're no fun..." (Route 20)
      ■ "I'm not feeling you up! I'm just... warming my hands!" (Route 216)

GAME EFFECTS; In addition to amusing you with what he says, Zan gives a boost to catch rate for female pokemon, no matter the ball used.
      At base affection, there is a default +3 bonus, increasing with affection to +30.This bonus can be combined with ball bonuses.
      When combined with a Love ball, made available in map shops, a female pokemon with a normal catch rate (25/300) will have its rate increased by 55 (25+30/300 at maxed affection), then x8 from the ball itself, which makes the catch unmissable at 440/300.

MAIL ITEMS; Chesto Berry, Oran Berry, Wiki Berry, Bluk Berry, Kelpsy Berry, Cornn Berry, Pamtre Berry, Passho Berry, Kebia Berry, Charti Berry, Micle Berry, Love Ball
      ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

SPECIAL ITEM; Destiny Knot ➧ Lunar Wing ➧ Cresselia
      ImageImageImage

NOTES ON RAISING AFFECTION; Zan gets +3 affection for every female pokemon caught, and the usual +1 for every hour spent on the website (disincluding the forums).
      NPC MON;
        ■ D/P sprite
        ■ Since March 2010.
        ■ Holding a Love Ball Image
        ■ Stats starts with 10 in Cool , 40 in Beauty .

Last edited by Yata on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Reserved.

Last edited by Yata on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(under construction)
Need to credit ;
Carbons' donation pokemon guide

Self-references while writing:

Ada's happiness no reset if a shiny hatches
Rei's affection unrelated to discard fees
Translate what Z is saying
Partner affection quotes
Some quotes from Lyrit&Jan (mail quotes)
Partner quotes thread
Z and Hario&Nao mail quotes

Tsundere Ada blush
Silly Zan quotes & Rusturf Tunnel quotes & more silly quotes & more silliness & Mail item message & Zan with a guy & Zangoose tribes & how much of Zan quotes am I going to get (male)
Jan's Sinnoh quote & Jan...? Jan you're trying too hard more quotes
Z quote & Another Z quote & Faraway island & Average road lengths quote & game corner Cinnabar & mail item message
Hari&Nao Pallet town quote & more & Pacifidlog/Route 131 & more quotes & more quotes
Allen quotes & Allen's unknown recipe & Umbrella & Bill's house & some more quotes in Sinnoh & doesn't like water, ehh & lake valor & hot chocolate
Ash's stupid smile quote & Ash/Lyrit/Ada and Lucius & one weather quote & Mail item message Mew & Rotom
Bel's dislike of Mt. Silver & Bel oh Bel So many Bel quotes ghosts' loyalty
Lyrit and his creepiness quotes & when switching him out (Noir) & faraway island & Lake of rage
Rei quotes League Quotes
Yun's quotes

Last edited by Yata on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:21 pm

(I sincerely hope I am not intruding)
Lyrit's partner quotes change as his affection changes as he costs more to switch out (three or four times I think in total. The first I saw was about seashells, the second was about me being tired and the third is just plain creepy). At base, he costs 1000, next stage 2000, third stage 4000, final stage 8000 as far as I remember >.<

When he maxes (I've only been to Islands so far >.<) I've got this quote so far:
'Doesn't this kind of place make you feel like saying something... romantic?'

10:32 pm |

STILL buying potions of all colours for 4k :)
Currently inactive make sure to PM me for carnival prizes so I know that I can fulfill them. :c

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 am

Nope, not intruding at all :Db
And thanks a lot! I'll add this into Lyrit's section once I'm there :D

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:22 am

It seems that the icon for Shiny Kirlia looks like a Porygon-Z,

Godfro by Fizza.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Pfff Just corrected that, haha.
Thanks for pointing it out. :D

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Suggestion with the quick reference.
Mabye put in a breif note on how to raise affection?

Godfro by Fizza.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:23 am

Added :D
Thanks!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Quote:
This partner is randomly chosen when you sign up unless you were one of the pioneers of the project who gets Yun by default.

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around...? Didn't it used to be random, then Shiro changed it to be Yun as the default as his discount is most useful to beginners?

My Twitter profile!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:19 pm

AceDetective wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around...? Didn't it used to be random, then Shiro changed it to be Yun as the default as his discount is most useful to beginners?

I'm pretty sure I had Zan as my first partner. Quoting from the guidebook:
Quote:
Though your first partner is randomly chosen, you have the ability to switch partners via PokéCell System.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Yun became the default partner in November. I'll edit the outdated parts in the guidebook.

I don't want your love unless you know I am repulsive,
    and love me even as you know it. (Georges Bataille)

MAL / goodreads / Backloggery

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Thank you all for the corrections.
But I'm a bit confused x.x
So, um, Yun was set as default November 2010, and i'm not sure since when the partners have been randomized, I'll go search later.
Have the partners been randomized before default-Yun?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:39 pm

I think Yun was the very first partner on VDex, so I assume that back then, everyone started with Yun...? And then, from some point on until November 2010, it was randomized - after that (up to now), Yun has been the default partner.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Oh okay.

I knew I started with Yun and most people did, and I remember from when I started, Yun was default.
And by what you are saying, it's still defaulted to Yun right now? :o
So the line of "randomized partners" in the guidebook is what is outdated?
I'm sorry it's still not clear to me, thanks for taking your time orz

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Yes, Yun is still the default partner! (It was basically Yun -> randomized -> Yun.) Some parts of the guidebook are outdated; I've removed the ones saying that your first partner is randomlly chosen after it was brought to my attention by Ludicus.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Yun used to be the only partner, that's why when the site started out everyone was stuck with him. I believe random partners upon joining was added soon after new partners were added?

I also remember when Shiro was first making the first batch of new partners, she let the first ten people to post pick which one they'd be able to switch to for free. The rest of us had to wait until she made us capable of switching on our own. XD The thread is here, it's also when partners were randomized.

it's ok. this is the future i picked for myself.

twitter / tumblr

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:27 pm

SUPER LATE REPLY
But thank you for pointing out and helping me understand the Yun + randomization of partners history orz

@Zarya; Alright, that makes sense. I did start off with Yun, back when the site was still new c:
And I just faintly remember something about randomizing partners when there was a new batch of them.

ANYWAYS
I finally updated SOME things. Well, for one, the colors used to be super ugly and clashy, so I changed that (not super important)
And I've written the profiles of Ada down to Hari and Nao, and I'll be working on the others once I...find more patience and time (why did I bother starting this guide...)

I'm not perfect in any way, so do please point out mistakes I may have made!

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next