It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Looking for some books 

Okay, there's a few books I've read before but just don't really remember enough to find them on Google, so I could use some help. These are only some of the ones that have been gnawing at my memory the last couple of days whenever; my memory is not so great. As a side note, there are a number of books I DO remember, though, so feel free to ask if you like some of the 'discovered' wants and want a new recommendation.

Next is a about a kid who finds a strange book with no title in the school library, and all sorts of strange things start to happen. The only other thing I remember about it is some discussion of heraldic colors, but I think that was just a small part in the book.

Next is a book I read a long, long time ago, so I'm afraid I don't remember much. It involves a boy who is helping a dragon hatchling back to his home/nesting place. There might have been some sort of song involved, I'm not sure.

Found books/series:
Spoiler: show
First is a book series that I only remember bits and pieces of. I know that one of the books contained a sort of flashback story - there were two brothers, they get captured by a guy. The guy sends them out to retrieve some special honeycomb from some huge bees, and also a giant cat to keep an eye on them and instruct them. The cat tells them a story about a captive bear that parallels her own situation, and protects them when the bees get angry. For the rest of the books, I remember a section with a strange town with feral dogs, a community connected by vines like a spider's web, and that the main character - or at least one of them - is a girl. Land of Elyon series - first book is The Dark Hills Divide, the part with the brothers is from Into the Mist

Another one was about people who had certain skill classes based on birth. The main character was part of a family of acrobats, but did not have the innate skill for them. Instead, he was good at solving things. It was sort of a fantasy murder-mystery, I believe.D'Shai

Then there's a book about some people with magic in the modern day. If they don't ever use their magic, they go crazy, but using their magic shortens their lifespan and they often die young. I know for certain it was part of a series, but only remember reading the first book. One thing I definitely remember is that the book introduced me to the Fibonacci sequence. Magic or Madness (part of a series)

Next was a book about a training area for dragon riding. The daughter of the guy in charge is forbidden to ride dragons because her mother died while riding, but she refuses to give up on riding her beloved dragon. There's also a spoiled girl who can't be properly punished because she's the daughter of...some important guy, I don't remember exactly. There's a competition later in the book for the aerial skills of dragon and rider. Dragonsdale (Has a sequel)

Finally was a rather unusual book set in...China, I believe. The main character was a girl named Ping. She was the person who had to take of a couple of captive dragons, and ultimately escaped with one. I recall the dragon being afraid of centipedes, and there was also a rat that the girl kept with her. Dragonkeeper (part of a series)

A book...series, I believe. I think it mostly had to do with King Arthur, but all I really remember are two parts - first, the main character worries that his tailbone may be growing, but it turns out to be the result of when he fell out of a tree. Second, he and some other characters each put a snail on the wall, and the pattern of its slime is supposed to tell who they will end up marrying. The Seeing Stone (part of a series)

Next...a book having the do with the heir of Merlin. (or at least a wizard or sorcerer of similar status, but I think it was Merlin) There's a prophecy about someone being born on a certain bringing about a great darkness, but also the heir of Merlin and his staff. There's also a race of half-bird people, and the main character grew up as an adopted brother of one. I think there's also a connection with a story about a priestess or acolyte or something, but I don't remember that part too well. Child of the Dark Prophecy It's a sequel series to The Lost Years of Merlin series, also part of its own series.

Last edited by ChibiNinja on Wed May 25, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:13 pm

Oh, by the way, help with ANY of these would be appreciated - I don't expect someone to swoop in and suddenly name them all at once.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:59 pm

ChibiNinja wrote:
Next was a book about a training area for dragon riding. The daughter of the guy in charge is forbidden to ride dragons because her mother died while riding, but she refuses to give up on riding her beloved dragon. There's also a spoiled girl who can't be properly punished because she's the daughter of...some important guy, I don't remember exactly. There's a competition later in the book for the aerial skills of dragon and rider.

I loved that book !
I think you are talking about that one :3
Synopsis : Discover the thrills and spills of riding the most exciting animals ever. At Dragonsdale, riding is the most important thing in the world. Everybody is looking forward to the Island Championship - everyone except for Cara, who can only dream of flying Sky, her favourite dragon. Ever since her mother's tragic accident, her father has forbidden her to ride. But when Hortense, the haughty daughter of the ruler of the Isles, takes Sky to spite her, Cara will risk everything to save him - even taking to the wild lands beyond.

Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:11 pm
Manly Princess

ChibiNinja wrote:
Finally was a rather unusual book set in...China, I believe. The main character was a girl named Ping. She was the person who had to take of a couple of captive dragons, and ultimately escaped with one. I recall the dragon being afraid of centipedes, and there was also a rat that the girl kept with her.
The book I'm pretty sure is called Dragonkeeper by Carole Wilkinson!

[monthly parcel giveaway]
[shop] [buying] [journal] [natures] [wishlist]

Please PM me for urgent matters.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:23 am
Profile WWW

Yes and yes, thank you both so much! Turns out they both have sequels, which is what I was hoping for.

That just leaves...everything else XD

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:46 pm

ChibiNinja wrote:
Then there's a book about some people with magic in the modern day. If they don't ever use their magic, they go crazy, but using their magic shortens their lifespan and they often die young. I know for certain it was part of a series, but only remember reading the first book. One thing I definitely remember is that the book introduced me to the Fibonacci sequence.

Were there magic types? The only young-people-using-magic-in-modern-day series I vaguely remember had each person with a different type. IE, I specifically remember one boy could interact with machines and electronics, sort of talk to them, and he used an old antenna (radio ro car one not sure) for a wand.

This might also be completely unrelated so I wanted to ask if any of that jogs your memory on it?

Image Image

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:33 am

Hm...no, that doesn't sound familiar...there was a boy who was good at sewing, but as far as magic goes I don't really recall any specific types.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Hmm, not sure then. I'll post if I can dig anything up.

Image Image

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Quote:
For the rest of the books, I remember a section with a strange town with feral dogs, a community connected by vines like a spider's web, and that the main character - or at least one of them - is a girl.

I can picture this... could it be from John Peel's Diadem series?
Spoiler: show

If I'm thinking of the same one, the characters had to traverse the city by the vines because something hideous lurked in the ruins of the town below.

Edit- Been thinking about it, might have been a scene from His Dark Material's Trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass) in the world with the Spectres...

Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:23 pm

No, never heard of the Diadem series before.

I've read His Dark Materials - all of them - but this isn't it.

To clarify, the town with feral dogs and the community connected by vines were different sections, maybe even different books in the series. The community with vines wasn't abandoned, either; a lot of people used them.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:44 pm

It wasn't the pendragon series? It had a lot of different 'worlds'
http://djmachalebooks.com/books/pendragon/

Image Image

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Ranger wrote:
It wasn't the pendragon series? It had a lot of different 'worlds'
http://djmachalebooks.com/books/pendragon/

No. I've read that series, and its pretty good, but that isn't it. I don't really remember if this series had a lot of different 'worlds' per say; it may have been more like far removed 'areas' of one world, though I think the flashback part with the brothers may have been separate. Not sure on that, but I believe that the series focused mostly on a female lead with some other main characters around.

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Still searching...

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Update - still looking for the previous ones, but I added two more things to the list.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Still looking...After searching through some stuff on a dedicated book site, I managed to knock most of them out...but I'm still looking for a couple.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:57 am

skary childrin and the carousel of sorrow by katy towell is good

also any Rould Dahl book or autobiography

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:20 am
Profile WWW

Roald Dahl? Yeah, I used to read a lot of those books as a kid.

As for the other, maybe I'll look into it some day. I'll add it to the list.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]