It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Favorite Classic Novels? 

This is that book that's been made into eighty-nine different adaptations over the course of two centuries, at least one of which was a black-and-white film. It's the assigned reading novel that you actually liked. In short: the classic that you feel deserves to be a classic.

For me, it's probably Pride and Prejudice. Has one of my favorite fictional characters ever (Elizabeth), stars my OTP, and is all-around an entertaining and insightful read that's really about a whole lot more than marriage. Not to mention I enjoy imagining Colin Firth as Darcy. I also found myself enjoying Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, although I didn't really start loving it until the third part (but really, who didn't?). King Lear is probably my favorite Shakespeare play (not that I've read/watched that many of them), but I read it on my own time.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:36 am
Profile WWW

The ones that come immediately to mind are Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm. Nineteen Eighty-Four was also good, although some of the scenes squicked me out when I first read it. Beyond just dystopian novels, I really enjoyed The Catcher in the Rye.

Shakespeare-wise, Macbeth. (The army moving up the hill pretending to be trees...kind of sold me.) I also really liked The Merchant of Venice and Othello, mostly because of the excellently written villains.

Also not a novel, but how can I leave this thread without a mention of Paradise Lost? /sighs dreamily.

edit Forgot to mention my childhood favorite, Little Women.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:25 pm
Profile WWW

I don't read many classics but does all of a kind family count? I could never read classics because the language was really hard to understand

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:59 am

really really enjoyed Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, the French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles, a Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and the Lord of the Flies by William Golding ugh best reads of 2012

hiatus-y but will be signing in to check
also buying all your farfetch'ds COME AT ME

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 am

I looove To Kill A Mockingbird by Lee Harper, by far my favorite classic novel. But 1984 by George Orwell is right behind it!

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:10 am

The Hobbit. I have 2 copies of it: an old, yellowed copy that Dad gave me as a gift when I was 9 (I'm 28 now), and a newer copy that I bought a few years back.

I'm also reading The Lord of the Rings, but I like The Hobbit more.

Oh, and And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie is a favorite of mine as well.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:25 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in my entire high school who honestly liked The Great Gatsby. The overload of symbolism is a little off-putting, I admit, but the story and characterization were excellent. The characters just felt more real and believable than the characters in so many of the other books I had to read for school.

On the flip side, my entire sophomore class, including the teacher, agreed that A Farewell to Arms was dull and pretentious, and at least half of us were hoping the main characters would die horribly.

Tumblr

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:39 pm
Profile WWW

lord of the flies, romeo & juliet, fahrenheit 451, to kill a mockingbird, beowulf, dante's inferno~

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:22 am

The Giver, The Catcher of the Rye, and Of Mice and Men.

The Warp Star shop!
Buying: A lot of Sunstones Auction: Nothing Kickass: A Revolution Wishlist

MI time: 12:07 at Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]