It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
What kind of books do you like, Werewolf or Vampire themed? 

I feel I am more partial to werewolves myself, but that doesn't mean I won't partake of a good bloodsucker tale every now and then. I'm working on reading my way through The Vampire Archives anthology at the moment.

I have also read Blood and Chocolate and I have enjoyed it.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Oh yeah.. I'm okay with "good" vampires that don't want to kill/to drink human blood, but why.. why.. are they (edward, jasper, rosalie) so depressed? and whyyy do they have to sparkle?

But for everyone who likes to read about a funny vampire.. "Undead and"-Series.
Vampires that have to drink blood every other day (If a newborn vamp doesn't get live blood it becomes crazy), who burn in the sun (but they can be awake at day, only not go out), are allergic to holy water and that stuff and "god" and all those things are a horrible sound to them. They aren't completly dead (they have a heartbeat and breath.. but only soooooooooo little, don't remember the exact numbers, but.. heartbeat of 3 times a minute or something?) and they get stronger the older they get.
But.. there is this vampire queen. She doesn't have any of those weaknesses (she only falls asleep as soon as the sun goes up), she can't be killed with a stake, she can see ghosts, she can drain other vamps without touching them..
and she can't remember names, concentrate, think about anybody beside herself for more then a few minutes.. and she'd do anything for great shoes.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:24 pm

There's a new Mercedes Lackey book out: Beauty and the Werewolf. It's a mixture of Beauty and the Beast, Little Red Riding Hood, and other fairy tales. Pretty good so far. The description of how the werewolf looks and acts is well done, instinctual yet very human.

Mando'a bal Mand'alor
An vencuyan mhi.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:29 am

Werewolf (not Twilight though)

My fave Harvest Moon guys!~ (in order!~) Click 'em to see where they lead!~:

Spoiler: show
Come join my club!

Click the image of Doctor (Trent) to go to my Wishlist:

Doctor (Trent):Image

Click the image of Cliff to go to my Collections! (might find yourself something I could be willing to get rid of):

Cliff:Image

Click the picture of Gray to Come buy something at my auction! Where everything is at a fair price!:

Gray:Image

Click the Harvest Moon: More Friends From Mineral Town (plus original Friends From Mineral Town) Button to go to my Club:

WE ARE IN NEED OF SOME BUTTONS!

Go away ponies, no one likes you, quick clogging up the internet!

Spoiler: show
The walls around me, eyes surround me, feed my fear again.
I must be freed or I will die before the harvest moon, my friend.
I do not have another year in me, you've gotta set me free.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:47 pm
Profile YIM

Anything with Werewolfs as long as it isn't Twilight

Plz click!

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 am

I'm generally a vampire lover, but the were's are fine, too. I like Blood and Chocolate as the OP mentioned, though I haven't read it in years. I borrowed it from a friend and I can't see her very often anymore.

I liked the first couple Anita Blake books, but now...

I like the Sookie Stackhouse books.

Adrian Phoenix is a fantastic writer, and I like her new voodoo series, too.

I remember reading Twilight and loving it the first go round, but now I can't stomach it.

I tried to read Dracula and couldn't get to the end. I stopped on the last bloody chapter. But it was just so dry I couldn't finish it.

The Historian, if you haven't heard of it, is a rather interesting re-imagining of Dracula, even though it's rather dry, too

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:46 pm

I prefer vampires novels but werewolf films, if that makes any sense. Not to say I don't like werewolf literature, I just haven't read that many books on the subject. I did really enjoy Kelley Armstrong's Bitten, but other than that, I think that's all I've read featuring werewolves in the lead. I've read the Sookie Stackhouse series, but really, that's a mix of every form of paranormal and doesn't really count.

My favorite vampire lit would be Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, the Sookie books, J.R. Ward's The Black Dagger Brotherhood, L.J. Smith's The Vampire Diaries (it's actually really good, okay), Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot, Scott Snyder's comic book series American Vampire, and Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. I've read more, I've read a LOT of vampire books, but those are the ones that stand out the most.

If anybody has good suggestions for werewolf lit, let me know! I like horror/fantasy/romance/any genre, so long as it's good.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:52 am
Profile WWW

batwoman wrote:
My favorite vampire lit would be Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, the Sookie books, J.R. Ward's The Black Dagger Brotherhood, L.J. Smith's The Vampire Diaries (it's actually really good, okay)

I like you :awesome:
I'm always waiting for more Sookie and Black Dagger books

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:36 pm

I prefer Vampire novels more than Werewolf. I'm a big of the Southern Vampire Mysteries (huge Sookie/Eric shipper)!

ImageImageImage

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 am

I liked Bram Stoker's Dracula. Despite the diary-structure which I thought I coulnd't bring myself to like. it actually proved very entertaining.
And Van Helsing is hilarious. with blood on him. (to get that one you'll probably have to have read the book xD)

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Vampire but not that Twilight stuff...ew
The Vampire Lestat, and Interview with a Vampire
Now those are vampires, not some sparkly fairy boy with angst.

Image Image

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:34 pm

both I'm currently trying to write one that incorporates both werewolves and vampires living in unison away from humans and a war with no romance in it but it maybe a little harder than I thought

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:43 pm

I mostly go for vampire since I hardly come across any werewolf books.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:43 am
Profile WWW

I don't think I've ever come across werewolves in any book I've read. I know they're kind of important in Twilight (as important as anything that isn't Edward and Bella can be in that series), but I never got that far into the books so I can't say for sure.

I was a huge Anne Rice fan back in middle school. I used to think Lestat was THE best vampire EVER, but I reread a couple of the books a while ago and went back on that opinion. Literally all of the things I used to think were cool or romantic or amazing in some way in those books now make me cringe. I certainly doesn't help that first person narratives are an instant turn-off for me. Chuck Palahniuk is the only author whose 1st person narratives don't make me gag, but he doesn't write vampire or werewolf books. Unfortunately.

All in all, I'm disappointed by what passes for 'good' vampire fiction these days. And sure, vampires will always hold a special place in my heart, but I'm gonna have to say that right now, werewolves are my favourite monsters. Simply because they haven't been butchered in poorly-written fiction the same way vampires have. In all honesty, the only reason I still think vampires are awesome is Kain from the Legacy of Kain series, who has shown me that it's possible for a character to be both likeable and a mass-murdering, blood-sucking and utterly selfish monster. But that's a story for another time.

If anyone has any recs for werewolf fiction, I'm all ears! ;)

ᴘʀɪɴᴄᴇ ᴅᴇsᴘɪᴄᴀʙʟᴇ
journal · plurk · tumblr

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:03 am

You could try reading Blood and Chocolate, thats pretty much the only werewolf book I know.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:58 pm
Profile WWW

I dislike both equally because Twilight basically ruined the whole thing for me.
But I have to say I like Vampire novels b/c there's hardly many Werewolf ones out there.

Vampire Hunter D is by far my favorite Vampire series.
It's steampunk future vampire hunters and vampires ALONG with werewolves,
changlings, witches, etc. It's a good read too! I can't put down the book every time I pick it up.
Written by a I assume a Japanese author? It has beautiful illustrations in it as well.

journal | art | tumblr | fa

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3