It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
What kind of books do you like, Werewolf or Vampire themed? 

Cybele wrote:
Oh I have read werewolf book now that I think about it I think it was called "Omega"

Was it part of the Alpha and Omega Series? (From Patricia Briggs)

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 pm

yes it was!!! I still have to finish that series.

http://www.aywas.com/hacontest/entry/5687/

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:03 pm
Profile WWW

I prefer it Avian American themed(AKA Maximum Ride)

I'm doing a little something to get some steam games. It's one of those long term things where the site rewards you for stuff. So if you want any free steam games and are willing to put in a lot of time, it's worth a look.
(No purchase neccessary. Otherwise I wouldn't risk putting up the link)
http://www.steampowers.net?join=130010

And if that don't work? Use more Fluttershy.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Blood and Chocolate is boss. My last year of high school my English teacher got me reading the uh ... Blue Bloods series, I think it was? It's basically Gossip Girl w/vampires, so of course my favorite character that kept me reading was the token Blond Popular Rich Mean Girl.

I tried reading one of those House of Night books but couldn't force myself to continue after the first fifty pages.

lj

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:41 am
Profile WWW

antihero wrote:
Blood and Chocolate is boss. My last year of high school my English teacher got me reading the uh ... Blue Bloods series, I think it was? It's basically Gossip Girl w/vampires, so of course my favorite character that kept me reading was the token Blond Popular Rich Mean Girl.

I tried reading one of those House of Night books but couldn't force myself to continue after the first fifty pages.
I couldn't get into blue bloods it kinda found the series annoying I of course do love anne Rice novels the most out of all the vampire books I have read.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:38 pm
Profile WWW

neither please. :I
werewolves and vampires (and let's toss in fairies) outnumber the textbooks in our local bookstore
unless by vampire you mean count dracula

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 am

I actually enjoyed Interview With a Vampire. I tried reading The Vampire Lestat and couldn't get past that godawfully long prologue about him hunting in the woods as a human or whatever.

The only part I like about Dracula is the language, tbh. Bram Stoker is a rear-end in a top hat.

lj

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:03 pm
Profile WWW

antihero wrote:
I actually enjoyed Interview With a Vampire. I tried reading The Vampire Lestat and couldn't get past that godawfully long prologue about him hunting in the woods as a human or whatever.

Can't stand Interview (well, mostly because of the film they made of it - I don't like Tom Cruise, so him as Lestat was just impossible for me - and partly because it's Louis story and as one get's to know later on in one of the books, he is lying) But I had that time when I absolutly loved "the vampire lestat". "queen of the damned" was also good, but the different point's of views were not the best.. the otheres from lestat.. okay, but hey.. It's lestat.
then "the vampire armand".. yeah! and then I just now remembered that I have "blood and gold" (marius) and haven't read it.. and then I have those that play after Merrik, and because I wanted to read the witch-books from Anne Rice before I read Merrik, but never got further then the first of them..
Well, I have somethign to read now <.<
But they are german.. from before the time I started to read english <.<

But yeah, thanks to this thread for reminding me xD

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:30 pm

I actually forced myself to finish reading Twilight series. That was painful

PSYCHIC TYPE FRIEND SAFARI: PM ME YOUR FRIEND CODE: 2406-5564-7910

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:43 pm
Profile WWW

xlullabychan wrote:
I actually forced myself to finish reading Twilight series. That was painful

I've forced myself to read a lot of terrible books (in my opinion), but that's one series that I just can't read. I made it through the first book, but after that I can't make it.

Mando'a bal Mand'alor
An vencuyan mhi.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:30 am

I started reading twilight and thought hey this book is pretty good for a vampire romance style novel then, I got to the part where he sparkles..................There is not enough bleach in the world to make me feel clean again lol

Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 am
Profile WWW

Real vampires don't sparkle.

Besides, I'm much more of a fan of ze verevolf. I just got this book by Dr. Bob Curran. "Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts". The illustrations alone are worth getting the book for.

Mando'a bal Mand'alor
An vencuyan mhi.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:42 pm

I haven't really read any "Vampire" or "Werewolf" books for a few years, I found them generally lacking in quality and I've moved onto stuff that have more substance to them. In fact "Dark Fantasy" as an entire thing is just...ugh.

I did genuinely enjoy some of Kelley Armstrong's work through.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Location: Australia, Australasia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe
I haven't read many werewolf books but I've read some good vampire ones. Alex Duval's Vampire Beach series was good, especially his High Stakes. The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series by Heather Brewer was interestingly written as well.

ImageImageImageImage
Tumblr ✻ DevArt ✻ Twitter ✻ GA of D

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:24 am

technically both i guess
vampires and werewolves and dwarfs and trolls and humans and gnomes and witches and elves, sometimes

terry pratchett whooo

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:16 pm

The theme doesn't really matter for me, as long as the book is well-written. :P

I do have to say that I'm more partial to vampires. I recently just read a compilation of short vampire stories or snippets from vampire themed book.

It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.
- Niccolo Machiavelli

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:57 am

I can deal with either, so long as it's not Twilight. My hatred for the series grows daily. My favorites are Blood and Chocolate, and Interview With A Vampire.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:00 pm
Profile WWW

Boxx wrote:
I can deal with either, so long as it's not Twilight. My hatred for the series grows daily. My favorites are Blood and Chocolate, and Interview With A Vampire.

*Goes to kill Louis for the stuff he said in Interview with a vampire*

And while I liked Twilight as a teen-book.. I don't understand why those vampires have to SPARKLE
I mean.. come on. Daywalkers? Okay, that's nothing new.
So they are daywalkers but can't be out in full sun because then humans notice that somethings off with them
-> Yeah, understand why she want's that
But why not simply let them get a tan really fast (so that you can watch it happen) or get a sunburn immediatly?
Then they still had to keep out of the direct sun, but they wouldn't... sparkle...
I always ignored that part when reading the books - it isn't mentiond that often that it wouldn't work.. but yeah.
And I don't understand those who think that the stuff with Bella and her child (and the way it is given birth) are "so cute/romantic".. it's.. gross? Doesn't match the fairy-glittery-stuff..

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:52 am

Shira wrote:
Boxx wrote:

*Goes to kill Louis for the stuff he said in Interview with a vampire*

And while I liked Twilight as a teen-book.. I don't understand why those vampires have to SPARKLE
I mean.. come on. Daywalkers? Okay, that's nothing new.
So they are daywalkers but can't be out in full sun because then humans notice that somethings off with them
-> Yeah, understand why she want's that
But why not simply let them get a tan really fast (so that you can watch it happen) or get a sunburn immediatly?
Then they still had to keep out of the direct sun, but they wouldn't... sparkle...
I always ignored that part when reading the books - it isn't mentiond that often that it wouldn't work.. but yeah.
And I don't understand those who think that the stuff with Bella and her child (and the way it is given birth) are "so cute/romantic".. it's.. gross? Doesn't match the fairy-glittery-stuff..

Fffff! Louis! o.o

Yeah, the sparkling... She really could have come up with a better way to determine who's human and who's not. Personally, I prefer the old myths that vampires would melt or die in sunlight, being creatures of the dark and whatnot. What really turned me off about Twilight was the incredibly stupidity and neediness that came from Bella. I'm not a feminist by any means, but her character didn't need to be that pathetic. Now, I just can't stand it. I only watch the movies so I can laugh at her.

For me, Twilight just shot down every good aspect of vampire folklore and novels. The werewolves in the story, although obnoxious, were more appealing than the vampires. Minus Jasper and Carlisle. I loved them. Hot~ cx

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Profile WWW

I have yet to watch or read Twilight, as I am a fan of the older, more insidious myths and legends about vampires and werewolves and whatnot, or the comedic ones. From what I hear from the Twilight novels it was shunned by Steven King, only good for a teenage - scratch that, pre-teen romance story about girls being 'penetrated' by fangs that aren't even mentioned in the stories (are they? from what I've heard they aren't), with creatures that might have been acceptable if they had been called emo demonic fairies or something, not vampires.

I almost cried in shame for the human race when I met a 30+ year old woman who thought that the twilight 'vampires' were really awesome examples of vampire legends and 'why couldn't more stories portray them that way'. I wanted to bash her over the head with my purse (and my sketch books and stuff are heavy). You don't take a legend (that has very obvious points to it to make them what they are) that's hundreds if not a thousand or more years old, and rewrite it just to fit your story and call it the same thing. It's *not* the same thing. At all.

My personal favorite stories about vampires include - but are not limited to - the Anne Rice novels, Bram Stoker's Dracula, all of Terry Pratchett's books. I know I've read others that had some nifty portrayals but for some reason they've left my recollection right now. My boyfriend actually writes his own stories too, a few of which being centered on the classic monstrous vampires. Those are both sexy, and friggin scary. =o

Honestly though, recently I've been more into general fantasy than werewolves and vampires - they're often included, but not the main theme.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next