It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Censoring? 

So...did a report in school about US censoring.

*Found out a few things like... 2 of the heros in sailor moon were supposed to be dating, not family members. (Same sex dating)
* Yugioh has guns removed so people are basically pointing to threaten
* Pokemon removes references of Buddhism
* The word "kill" is replaced with destroy or banish (soul eater, pokemon,digimon )
* Blood is removed
* Genders may be swapped

idk...it seems to take away from the anime and that saddens me. I understand some things for children, but groups like 4-kids said that they removed references to buddhism because "america wasn't ready for it" in a kids show. Well I think that that is the perfect starting point. In television. It would educarte us and create tolerance of other cultures and religions. Perhaps the same sex marriage thing wouldn't be as much of an issue if the millions who watched sailor moon uncensored got used to two women in an intimate relationship instead learning in high school or something or learning from negative people.

thoughts?

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

in one piece
they changed guns to water pistols
and even removed a whole character from a scene OTL

censoring sucks

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 pm
Profile WWW

They even replaced Sanji's cigarette with a lollipop.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:24 am
Profile WWW

Red Eyes wrote:
They even replaced Sanji's cigarette with a lollipop.

what lol
anyway like kismet says censoring sucks

link to my shop

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:54 am

I do understand the anime censoring thing since lots of animes have sexual references/are sexually tinted.
But the things that you pointed out aren't even wrong enough to censor in my opinion, if 13 year old kids can play CoD without any problems why would they have to censor guns&blood from something that looks less realistic?
They're overreacting in my opinion

Journal x Buying x Giveaway x FB Page

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Hopefully they wont censor Dangan Ronpa's anime when it comes to dub. It will defeat the whole purpose of the show.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:31 am

I think one of the biggest reasons for censoring in the United States is because of the difference in target audience. Anime with mature themes/references are clearly targeted towards an older audience in Japan (people in their teens at the very least), whereas dubbing companies target the same anime towards a younger audience in the United States (kids under ten, because fewer people watch cartoons into their teens in the United States). It's an issue of making a show "kid-friendly" when it's not meant to be for kids in the first place.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25 am
Profile WWW

away from the anime

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:13 am

I've seen the episode of yugioh you're talking about
and when I saw it I literally couldn't stop laughing bc i was like:

"WHAT ARE THEY DOING HOW ARE THE GONNA STOP HIM FROM JUMPING
BY
POINTING
AT
HIM?
WHAT?????"

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:58 am

currently checking out edited dark necrofear. It looks odd...it needs the doll by its side.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:51 pm
Profile WWW

The biggest problem is the fact that people think that animation=for childs.
Some animated series aren't meant for children even if they do look childish.
So they end censoring the series, which results in a dumbed down series that doesn't seems to fulfill what it intends for both younger and older audiences.

In fact, everything is Stunfisk. Nothing is not Stunfisk.

ImageImage

Image{SEE MY COLLECTIONS!}Image{TRADE WITH ME!}

Awesome avatar made by Ailoncha!

ALWAYS BUYING SHINIES!

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:32 am

Aztos wrote:
The biggest problem is the fact that people think that animation=for childs.
Agreed.

In One Piece, they cut out whole scenes and it's a basic to make blood light blue so it looks like water (this also happens in Naruto). I don't really know what people who censor anime think... a suddenly soaking anime character? Or whole scenes that were removed just to avoid any bloddy scenes... but in the end, you don't even understand what happened!

Instead of showing anime with mature content in the evening when most children are already in bed, Germany just stopped showing them on the regular programmes at all.
It's a pity. Coming home after school and going straight to watch anime was great as a kid, but now all you see is Two and a half Men because it seems to have less sexual content than Tenjo Tenge. But seriously, it does not.

That's why I stopped watching anime a few years ago and started to read manga only. At least it's original and not animated horribly.

WISHLIST SHOP AUCTION BUYING

Hi there! If you want to stay in touch, feel free to add me or drop me a line! :)
              ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
              tumblr: narubabe.tumblr.com
              twitter: @seikothings
              email & facebook: pm me!
              ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:18 am
Profile ICQ

In America, most of that happened in the 90s. Censoring still happens, sure, but thankfully I don't think it's as bad now as it used to be (probably because people can more easily watch fan-subs online).

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm not familiar with a lot of censorship since a lot of the anime I watch is usually Japan-only (Akagi, Magical Fairy Persia, etc.) but in Inazuma Eleven, there are two teams of minor characters, a set of angels from heaven and a set of demons from hell. This was censored heavily in the Italian distribution because of religious references, so the team of angels was referred to as "DayStar" and the demons as"NightStar". It's total cheese.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:40 am
Profile WWW

I recently read about an incident with Sailor Moon that led to the manga's author refusing to allow the series to be aired in Italy for 13 years. Basically, some homophobic Italian psychiatrist put forth the claim that little boys who watched Sailor Moon would turn gay. Even though that statement was insanely ludicrous and bigoted, the company in charge of dubbing turned the Sailor Starlights into six people instead of three; in the original Japanese, the Starlights could switch between male and female forms. The Italian dubbers instead made them permanently male, and just said the female forms were their identical twin sisters. Similar changes were made to the manga's Italian translation.

The only other anime censorship I'm familiar with is the 4Kids dub of Pokemon. Besides the episodes that were banned for violent or sexual content (or just for having the misfortune of having "similarities" to 9/11), they removed all those nasty, scary references to non-'MURICAN cultures. Jelly donuts, anyone?

Tumblr

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]