It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:38 pm



Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
K-Pop 
Author Message
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 pm
Posts: 781
WyndiWingfall wrote:
Actually, I've seen lots of people roleplay both RL people and characters on Facebook....I will admit it's an odd way to roleplay, but it's certainly not the first time I've seen people roleplaying actual IRL people, so...


How can you roleplay with real people? That's creepy to the max, bro.

_________________
Image{Kalafina Fan Forever}Image
Image
Image
Image
Image{Accidentally became a Sone with a Sunny bias, oops.}Image


Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:59 pm
Posts: 570
Location: United States
WyndiWingfall wrote:
OH MY GOD

That is both the best and the worst fashion choice I've seen in a while.

Fashion y0

_________________
    _____________________
              Image
              Image
_____________________
    Image


Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:29 pm
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 11617
Location: Oldale Town
Hiems wrote:
WyndiWingfall wrote:
Actually, I've seen lots of people roleplay both RL people and characters on Facebook....I will admit it's an odd way to roleplay, but it's certainly not the first time I've seen people roleplaying actual IRL people, so...


How can you roleplay with real people? That's creepy to the max, bro.


Hey, I'm just stating what I've seen. I'm not supporting it by any means. xD

_________________
death is a wall but it can't be the end.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage


Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:00 pm
Posts: 2759
Hiems wrote:
WyndiWingfall wrote:
Actually, I've seen lots of people roleplay both RL people and characters on Facebook....I will admit it's an odd way to roleplay, but it's certainly not the first time I've seen people roleplaying actual IRL people, so...


How can you roleplay with real people? That's creepy to the max, bro.

You must be new.

I've been roleplaying 'real people' since 2007.

It's not new or uncommon and it's no different than roleplaying an anime character. It's no different from a person acting in a tv show as a character? Like Dr House for example ... since it's based on a real person. Only difference is we are typing it out rather than acting it out. Though I doubt you could relate and it's fine if you judge me for it. But we don't really claim to be the idol. It depends though, these days people just use the persons face as a 'face claim' and roleplay... as nothing like the character. At the end of the day, real or not, it's just a picture.

_________________
Image
shop * (it's a laboratory).
Sporadic appearances. | | hanbei is da best
Image


Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:58 pm
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:07 pm
Posts: 1025
Location: Down Under
Atsuaki wrote:
I've been roleplaying 'real people' since 2007.

It's not new or uncommon and it's no different than roleplaying an anime character. It's no different from a person acting in a tv show as a character? Like Dr House for example ... since it's based on a real person. Only difference is we are typing it out rather than acting it out. Though I doubt you could relate and it's fine if you judge me for it. But we don't really claim to be the idol. It depends though, these days people just use the persons face as a 'face claim' and roleplay... as nothing like the character. At the end of the day, real or not, it's just a picture.


The roleplayers that I see don't claim to be the idol but it just seems like an absurd hobby or activity. I know I'm being biased as a great argument for 'against' is that roleplayers in a forum are just as 'weird'. However I just think that grabbing a group of friends to all do their daily Facebook things but also role play in these things is weird. Maybe it's just the combination of various things that have made me judge it to be 'creepy'. Probably because you're roleplaying a real person and not a fictional one - as we forum roleplayers do :3

P.S I have not seen some of these people with a second account...

_________________
Image
Image


Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:24 pm
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:00 pm
Posts: 2759
Well I dunno. I stay away from facebook lol.

I never understood why people would roleplay on facebook because ... it's for REAL profiles? So I can understand why thats weird. I roleplay on tumblr though and stick to roleplay groups. I use it for improving my writing and to be honest, it has. You could tell me to roleplay an OC or anime character but I don't want to? But yeah... I don't really make myself known and I rarely roleplay these days anyway since the people who join tend to just use the face of an Idol and mess around trying to get into relationships and complain they're depressed and also posting 'selcas' on sunday of their ooc self and it's like ... :| you're roleplaying, why are you posting a picture of yourself.

_________________
Image
shop * (it's a laboratory).
Sporadic appearances. | | hanbei is da best
Image


Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:33 pm
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 11617
Location: Oldale Town
I think the reason I personally find it a little unsettling is because roleplaying is really about your interpretation of a character, and with fictional people, there's a degree of leniency for that - because in the end, they really are fictional and unless you're the creator, you don't know every single nuance about the characters. But with real people, it seems almost disrespectful in a way because there isn't that leniency - these people are real and could at any time read what you write "as" them, and they aren't just personalities and actions to be "interpreted." And chances are they're celebrities, which mean you know next to nothing about them no matter how much you read up or watch them: you never get any real insight into their thoughts because you don't have access to their minds [as you generally would for a character].

I don't know, I guess it's disrespectful because there's so much opportunity for people to project themselves on to a real person. I've seen people write out real life people doing horrible, illegal things - and then brush it off. I don't have problems with people making characters do things they would never do, but real life people?

I'm sorry, I'm not articulating this very well. But real life people are so much more complex than characters, and seeing people pretend they know a celebrity well enough to play him/her...well, they'll just always fall short or get something wrong. [No offense, really. Objectively no one really knows another person well enough to know how he or she will react in every given situation.]

_________________
death is a wall but it can't be the end.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage


Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 778
I agree with you Wyndi. RPing fictional characters and RPing real people is WAY different. Fictional characters aren't real people with real lives living somewhere. They may never see what you have done but what if they DO? Like, if it were me, I'd be VERY upset. Even on a level of getting it wrong, you're pretending to be someone. It's not YOU pretending to take their identity, but you're still taking that identity to use however you please.

As for K-Pop itself. I was never a big fan of K-pop. I only know Gangam Style and Big Bang and that's about it. I know a lot more bands due to all my friends being fans but I never listened. And even Big Bang was just listening to because my friends had it on.

_________________
"Now all the barlights are blinking in time, to Mexican music. And for the first time, in a long time. I feel alive~"

Image


Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:49 am
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:00 pm
Posts: 2759
EkiAku wrote:
I agree with you Wyndi. RPing fictional characters and RPing real people is WAY different. Fictional characters aren't real people with real lives living somewhere. They may never see what you have done but what if they DO? Like, if it were me, I'd be VERY upset. Even on a level of getting it wrong, you're pretending to be someone. It's not YOU pretending to take their identity, but you're still taking that identity to use however you please.

As for K-Pop itself. I was never a big fan of K-pop. I only know Gangam Style and Big Bang and that's about it. I know a lot more bands due to all my friends being fans but I never listened. And even Big Bang was just listening to because my friends had it on.


I'd be flattered if people roleplayed me. A few people have tried to copy my personality to the t and it was quite amusing. You know some kpop idols actually KNOW about fanfiction and people roleplaying them? They said it was weird but they just laughed about it, if I remember correctly. Anyway, if they said they didn't like it, I would stop just like that. Bored of RP anyway. Most of the time I do AU though, which means I do not keep their name or their personality so eh -shrug.- What do you think about people rping Harry Potter though? Or Supernatural or other tv shows. They're still using the face of the person. But I'm dropping this topic now.

On the topic of KPOP. I don't think Big Bang are all that /waits to be hit by V.I.Ps./ They just debuted at a time when Kpop was new or well... not as popular which is why they have such a following. Most of their songs bore me tbh. I probably said this before but I forgot~ I'm just kinda... anti old stuff because people bash new groups and accuse them of copying older groups (COUGH blackjacks Cough) Not everything is copied from 2ne1. Get off your high horses 8D but yeah.

Only like INFINITE and B.A.P. Tired of hearing about Gangnam style. Didn't like it when it had 400 views, don't like it now.

_________________
Image
shop * (it's a laboratory).
Sporadic appearances. | | hanbei is da best
Image


Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 am
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 pm
Posts: 781
Atsuaki wrote:
Hiems wrote:
WyndiWingfall wrote:
Actually, I've seen lots of people roleplay both RL people and characters on Facebook....I will admit it's an odd way to roleplay, but it's certainly not the first time I've seen people roleplaying actual IRL people, so...


How can you roleplay with real people? That's creepy to the max, bro.

You must be new.

I've been roleplaying 'real people' since 2007.

It's not new or uncommon and it's no different than roleplaying an anime character. It's no different from a person acting in a tv show as a character? Like Dr House for example ... since it's based on a real person. Only difference is we are typing it out rather than acting it out. Though I doubt you could relate and it's fine if you judge me for it. But we don't really claim to be the idol. It depends though, these days people just use the persons face as a 'face claim' and roleplay... as nothing like the character. At the end of the day, real or not, it's just a picture.


lol, no, I see it on Tumblr all the time. It doesn't strike me as any less disrespectful, freakish and/or creepy than it originally did. If anything, the way people justify it just make it even worse, like the real people they're roleplaying don't/can't find what they're doing weird, and that they're somehow disconnected from the real world and can have their identities used for superficial and selfish reasons just because they're famous.

I'm with Eki and Wyndi when they say it's wrong.

Atsuaki wrote:
EkiAku wrote:
I agree with you Wyndi. RPing fictional characters and RPing real people is WAY different. Fictional characters aren't real people with real lives living somewhere. They may never see what you have done but what if they DO? Like, if it were me, I'd be VERY upset. Even on a level of getting it wrong, you're pretending to be someone. It's not YOU pretending to take their identity, but you're still taking that identity to use however you please.

As for K-Pop itself. I was never a big fan of K-pop. I only know Gangam Style and Big Bang and that's about it. I know a lot more bands due to all my friends being fans but I never listened. And even Big Bang was just listening to because my friends had it on.


I'd be flattered if people roleplayed me. A few people have tried to copy my personality to the t and it was quite amusing. You know some kpop idols actually KNOW about fanfiction and people roleplaying them? They said it was weird but they just laughed about it, if I remember correctly. Anyway, if they said they didn't like it, I would stop just like that. Bored of RP anyway. Most of the time I do AU though, which means I do not keep their name or their personality so eh -shrug.- What do you think about people rping Harry Potter though? Or Supernatural or other tv shows. They're still using the face of the person. But I'm dropping this topic now.


The idol isn't exactly going to turn around and say "actually yeah I find that really freaking creepy", because that's going to annoy all of their fans who do that, which means the company will lose out on money. Same with people who give the real people RPF - that's a target demographic which contributes to sales, so they won't offend them by saying their fanfiction is making them feel violated and intruding on their privacy, even if they truly think that way. It's way too naive to take what idols say about their business and their fans at face value.

If you want to write original characters or practice your writing, just... write original fiction. Don't need to steal an identity to do that, lol.

On K-Pop: I am now a fan of Girls' Generation. HOW TIMES CHANGE, eh?

_________________
Image{Kalafina Fan Forever}Image
Image
Image
Image
Image{Accidentally became a Sone with a Sunny bias, oops.}Image


Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:00 pm
Posts: 2759
Yeah because I can totally roleplay a faceless character. People need an image to be able to describe it and I'm not about to type up a paragraph on what my original character looks like and I'm not going to draw it either because I don't want to rp with the /anime/cartoon/ verse. Anyway, going back to ignoring this topic now. I don't need to explain or convince anyone, because you have your opinion, and I have mine.

_________________
Image
shop * (it's a laboratory).
Sporadic appearances. | | hanbei is da best
Image


Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:39 pm
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 pm
Posts: 781
Atsuaki wrote:
Yeah because I can totally roleplay a faceless character. People need an image to be able to describe it and I'm not about to type up a paragraph on what my original character looks like and I'm not going to draw it either because I don't want to rp with the /anime/cartoon/ verse. Anyway, going back to ignoring this topic now. I don't need to explain or convince anyone, because you have your opinion, and I have mine.


"I'm going to be disrespectful because I'm too lazy to be otherwise!"

I don't think that attitude is the right one to have, especially not when you're going so far to invade the privacy and essentially typing out weirdo fantasies about real people where they can come across it and read it. Just because you'd be "flattered" about it doesn't mean other people will be, or that the principle is any less stupid. I don't really care about people slapping me in the face but I'm not about to go around slapping people just because I, personally, don't mind it.

Not only that, but what happened to your "I use it for improving my writing" statement? Clearly you don't actually want to improve your writing if you don't actually want to do any writing, since you don't want to type up one single paragraph, lol.

Then everything Wyndi said again. You can't roleplay somebody you have no clue about, because you don't know their character/likes/dislikes/motivations/emotions well enough to do it with any degree of accuracy, especially since they're celebrities and you've never even met them.

_________________
Image{Kalafina Fan Forever}Image
Image
Image
Image
Image{Accidentally became a Sone with a Sunny bias, oops.}Image


Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Member

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:37 pm
Posts: 857
Location: Land of Fossils and Slime (punches SBarg)
Hiems wrote:
Atsuaki wrote:
Yeah because I can totally roleplay a faceless character. People need an image to be able to describe it and I'm not about to type up a paragraph on what my original character looks like and I'm not going to draw it either because I don't want to rp with the /anime/cartoon/ verse. Anyway, going back to ignoring this topic now. I don't need to explain or convince anyone, because you have your opinion, and I have mine.


"I'm going to be disrespectful because I'm too lazy to be otherwise!"

I don't think that attitude is the right one to have, especially not when you're going so far to invade the privacy and essentially typing out weirdo fantasies about real people where they can come across it and read it. Just because you'd be "flattered" about it doesn't mean other people will be, or that the principle is any less stupid. I don't really care about people slapping me in the face but I'm not about to go around slapping people just because I, personally, don't mind it.

Not only that, but what happened to your "I use it for improving my writing" statement? Clearly you don't actually want to improve your writing if you don't actually want to do any writing, since you don't want to type up one single paragraph, lol.

Then everything Wyndi said again. You can't roleplay somebody you have no clue about, because you don't know their character/likes/dislikes/motivations/emotions well enough to do it with any degree of accuracy, especially since they're celebrities and you've never even met them.


Opinion

Spoiler: show
I believe you haven't actually been in an involved RP. If you have the right RP partner, you could potentially end up writing three pages, thus improving your writing skills.

And the thing about not knowing a character...
If you actually researched the person you were trying to RP, then you would gain at least a little knowledge about them. It's not about just knowing their likes and dislikes, and simply researching someone it's creepy. It's not like you're following them around in real life. Even if you read their Twitter or w/e, you're just finding out what they want to tell you. So you don't know anything about their personal life if they choose to keep it a secret. Even though the RPer won't know every single detail of the person they choose to RP, they should be able to get a general idea of what the person is like and be able to figure out, possibly, what their likes and dislikes are.


Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:10 pm
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:16 pm
Posts: 1285
there's only so many animanga fcs you can use tbqh.
everyone ends up using the same faces, and it gets
tedious. l-lol. idk why everyone's arguing about it in
this section. but. i prefer real life, there's more high
quality pictures. icons aren't that much fun either. 8c

i don't rp on facebook or tumblr, so maybe this is just a
stupid question but um i guess you're talking about rping
the face claim? like legit being that person? 8( well that's
kind of ignorant. what about original characters. like where
it doesn't matter about the person's "likes/dislikes/etcetera"
you're just using their appearance. why should it matter?

anyway whocurrs. you roleplay because it makes you happy.
get over it. <3 this is a thread for kpop. take it elsewhere.

_________________
Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image


Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:16 pm
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 11617
Location: Oldale Town
whoa whoa WHOA let me just clarify something before we dive back into the K-pop pool.

I never said that roleplaying as a real person is objectively wrong. I enjoy the fact that people are finding my opinion worth restating, but note that while I find it personally unsettling and disrespectful to a certain extent, I will never ever ever EVER claim that roleplaying as a real person is objectively and/or morally wrong [so long as the actions are within a reasonable and generally legal realm].

As for roleplaying faceless people, you can do it. I've done it for seven years and counting; writers who don't rely on graphics to portray their characters have done it since the beginning of time. In fact, that's one of the signs of being a good writer: that through little slips here and there, you can get a sense of the character's appearance - without ever having to read through a solid paragraph of description or seeing a picture.

All right. K-pop. Let's go. Apparently my little brother has developed a newfound liking for SNSD.

_________________
death is a wall but it can't be the end.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage


Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:07 pm
Posts: 1025
Location: Down Under
Anybody think that K-pop groups/idols have better japanese songs compared to the majority of their korean songs? Just started to realise this after listening to SNSD's Flowa Powa and enjoying it alot more than their other songs.

_________________
Image
Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:44 am
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 pm
Posts: 781
Mast3rEbony wrote:
Anybody think that K-pop groups/idols have better japanese songs compared to the majority of their korean songs? Just started to realise this after listening to SNSD's Flowa Powa and enjoying it alot more than their other songs.


Actually I think the precise opposite. Flower Power has an obviously lower production value and it's an incredibly dated song with incredibly dated fashion, whereas their Korean equivalents are always of a superior standard. I think that's due to Japan having a stagnated entertainment industry that hasn't moved past the 80s/90s, because if it was too modern then it wouldn't sell in Japan.

WyndiWingfall wrote:
whoa whoa WHOA let me just clarify something before we dive back into the K-pop pool.

I never said that roleplaying as a real person is objectively wrong. I enjoy the fact that people are finding my opinion worth restating, but note that while I find it personally unsettling and disrespectful to a certain extent, I will never ever ever EVER claim that roleplaying as a real person is objectively and/or morally wrong [so long as the actions are within a reasonable and generally legal realm].

As for roleplaying faceless people, you can do it. I've done it for seven years and counting; writers who don't rely on graphics to portray their characters have done it since the beginning of time. In fact, that's one of the signs of being a good writer: that through little slips here and there, you can get a sense of the character's appearance - without ever having to read through a solid paragraph of description or seeing a picture.

All right. K-pop. Let's go. Apparently my little brother has developed a newfound liking for SNSD.


Technically, it can be classified as harassment.

And who's your brother's bias? Mine's Sunny, if my signature didn't tell you. :p

eloquence wrote:
there's only so many animanga fcs you can use tbqh.
everyone ends up using the same faces, and it gets
tedious. l-lol. idk why everyone's arguing about it in
this section. but. i prefer real life, there's more high
quality pictures. icons aren't that much fun either. 8c

i don't rp on facebook or tumblr, so maybe this is just a
stupid question but um i guess you're talking about rping
the face claim? like legit being that person? 8( well that's
kind of ignorant. what about original characters. like where
it doesn't matter about the person's "likes/dislikes/etcetera"
you're just using their appearance. why should it matter?

anyway whocurrs. you roleplay because it makes you happy.
get over it. <3 this is a thread for kpop. take it elsewhere.


Original characters using an actor's or actresses's face is fine, obviously, 'cause you're not actually using their identity. I think that's sort of the same as a kind of black market version of Fantasy Football or something.
Shieru wrote:
Hiems wrote:
Atsuaki wrote:
Yeah because I can totally roleplay a faceless character. People need an image to be able to describe it and I'm not about to type up a paragraph on what my original character looks like and I'm not going to draw it either because I don't want to rp with the /anime/cartoon/ verse. Anyway, going back to ignoring this topic now. I don't need to explain or convince anyone, because you have your opinion, and I have mine.


"I'm going to be disrespectful because I'm too lazy to be otherwise!"

I don't think that attitude is the right one to have, especially not when you're going so far to invade the privacy and essentially typing out weirdo fantasies about real people where they can come across it and read it. Just because you'd be "flattered" about it doesn't mean other people will be, or that the principle is any less stupid. I don't really care about people slapping me in the face but I'm not about to go around slapping people just because I, personally, don't mind it.

Not only that, but what happened to your "I use it for improving my writing" statement? Clearly you don't actually want to improve your writing if you don't actually want to do any writing, since you don't want to type up one single paragraph, lol.

Then everything Wyndi said again. You can't roleplay somebody you have no clue about, because you don't know their character/likes/dislikes/motivations/emotions well enough to do it with any degree of accuracy, especially since they're celebrities and you've never even met them.


Opinion

Spoiler: show
I believe you haven't actually been in an involved RP. If you have the right RP partner, you could potentially end up writing three pages, thus improving your writing skills.

And the thing about not knowing a character...
If you actually researched the person you were trying to RP, then you would gain at least a little knowledge about them. It's not about just knowing their likes and dislikes, and simply researching someone it's creepy. It's not like you're following them around in real life. Even if you read their Twitter or w/e, you're just finding out what they want to tell you. So you don't know anything about their personal life if they choose to keep it a secret. Even though the RPer won't know every single detail of the person they choose to RP, they should be able to get a general idea of what the person is like and be able to figure out, possibly, what their likes and dislikes are.


But you don't want to write one descriptive paragraph about your original character, and instead figure that stalking a celebrity's Twitter and Googling stuff about them to try and figure out their personality in order to pretend to be them with other people who also pretend to be real people is a much more creative alternative?

_________________
Image{Kalafina Fan Forever}Image
Image
Image
Image
Image{Accidentally became a Sone with a Sunny bias, oops.}Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 778
Atsuaki wrote:
EkiAku wrote:
I agree with you Wyndi. RPing fictional characters and RPing real people is WAY different. Fictional characters aren't real people with real lives living somewhere. They may never see what you have done but what if they DO? Like, if it were me, I'd be VERY upset. Even on a level of getting it wrong, you're pretending to be someone. It's not YOU pretending to take their identity, but you're still taking that identity to use however you please.

As for K-Pop itself. I was never a big fan of K-pop. I only know Gangam Style and Big Bang and that's about it. I know a lot more bands due to all my friends being fans but I never listened. And even Big Bang was just listening to because my friends had it on.


I'd be flattered if people roleplayed me. A few people have tried to copy my personality to the t and it was quite amusing. You know some kpop idols actually KNOW about fanfiction and people roleplaying them? They said it was weird but they just laughed about it, if I remember correctly. Anyway, if they said they didn't like it, I would stop just like that. Bored of RP anyway. Most of the time I do AU though, which means I do not keep their name or their personality so eh -shrug.- What do you think about people rping Harry Potter though? Or Supernatural or other tv shows. They're still using the face of the person. But I'm dropping this topic now.


...I clearly started stated (LOOK. RIGHT THERE.) that it is different for a fictional character. I never said it was wrong to take someone else's character to have fun writing for either practice or to extend to the story or the character in ways the original creator didn't or couldn't put into their work.

But that's just is, a real person ISN'T A CHARACTER. They're a person. If you're talking about the fact that you use an actor's face, that's completely different as well. Daniel Radcliff ISN'T Harry Potter. Just because his face is used for it doesn't mean he's not going to feel a personal violation about you RPing Harry Potter using his face for the icons.

I apologize for continuing this but when you CLEARLY ignore me, that annoys me.

_________________
"Now all the barlights are blinking in time, to Mexican music. And for the first time, in a long time. I feel alive~"

Image


Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:36 pm
Posts: 3783
Location: Hows about if you and I could rendezvous?
???

wow, looks like things kinda got out of hand here....mind if i butt in and offer some insight?

Spoiler: show
First and foremost, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if a convo is being dropped because of the awkwardness of such, it's best to just let it go. I don't come into this section often, but I'd much rather we not have to lose it like we did with spamfest.

in regards to roleplaying real people, I can honestly say it isnt for me....but i do see where atsu is coming from. role playing a celebrity is much different than roleplaying your next door neighbor. Celebrities get into that business because they strive for the attention and fans and such. with asian pop culture especially (kpop, jpop, jrock, etc) the celebs are well aware of their fans habits. Not only role playing, but fanfics, fanbased manga, cosplays. Fans go to the extreme all the time, and roleplaying is by no means unusual or frowned upon. A lot of celebs themselves put on personas for their fans, a look the fans want to see, words the fans want to hear, they "become" what their fans want, rather than just being themselves.

as she said, it's not really all that different from acting. Actors all the time play the roles of actual people in movies that are "based on a true story". how much research goes into what those people were like, and how to capture their emotions and personality, so it can be properly portrayed? they both look and act like these people as much as possible, but they're not "stealing" that person's identity. People in comercials or photo shoots are hired for being "celebrity look alikes", and are encouraged to try sounding/acting as similar as possible, but that doesnt count as "stealing a celebs identity" either, does it? People who role play as celebrities role play as the front the celebrity puts on for the fans....they're not stalking them, delving into their personal life, and trying like hell to "become" them, they're just role playing the same way you would a fictional character.

the way i see it, frowning on that would mean frowning on roleplaying in general. Celebrities become the "character" their fans want to see, so why is it so wrong to roleplay that "character"? if roleplaying as a celebrity is "stealing their identity", then wouldn't roleplaying as a fictional character be the same as "stealing the author/artists work"? does the author go and give each and every role player permission to use those characters, or are fans just doing so because it's "not real", or "just for fun"?

again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I'm not asking that you agree with me. I'm not looking for an argument either, just offering up a contrary side in hopes that it'll help to settle the issue. from what I see, wyndi isn't bashing it, merely saying it's a bit strange to her, eloquence understands and wants to move on with the convo, and atsu's already tried to drop the subject


on a more related topic, I'm pretty new to the kpop world overall. the only bands I'm really familiar with are SNSD, 2NE1, and Super Junior. would it be too much to ask for artist recommendations?

_________________
Important: Recap of reboot discussion
Buying | Auction House | Old Parcel Sales | Journal | General Chatter
Image
Wishlist | everstone Raffle


Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:20 pm
Profile
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 11617
Location: Oldale Town
I recommend f(x), although I have a huge Amber bias so it's really more of an Amber recommendation....Some of the old TVXQ! [or DBSK or Tohoshinki, etc.] stuff is good too, especially the Japanese ballads.


@ Hiems

    I'm not sure if he has a bias actually. It's a recent development; I was just on Facebook and saw that he'd liked SNSD and 4 Minute.

_________________
death is a wall but it can't be the end.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage


Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.