It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Which instruments do you play? 

C'mon, I know there have to be a few people here who can play a tune on this or that ;3 So don't be shy, c'mon in and tell us what you play! You don't have to be professional- if you just tinker a bit here and there, that's cool too! You might be able to share repertoire suggestions with other people of a similar level too, or suggest some pieces to listen to!

I'm definitely an instrument enthusiast- I've been collecting instruments over the past few years, even if I haven't played them before. I've got a bachelor of music degree and next year (2013) I might go on and do my masters, so music is a huge part of my life. My main instrument is violin, but I also play a whole bunch of other ones....But I want to hear from you guys first! :D

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 am

i play electric bass and i have some knowledge of clarinet.........i'd like to think? ;__; i played one during last year's summer break but ndslknv so many squeaks and extreme shortness of breath why lmao i rly dig bass though; i would've signed up for my high school's jazz band since the basslines are usually rly great but it's... before school. i've kind of left my bass to dust a bit but i'll try picking it back up later so i'm not /completely/ horrible in 3492871 years time. v u v;

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:37 am

I used to play flute but I hated it and haven't touched one in years. I'm currently teaching myself to play piano and guitar, though! It's so frustrating, though, because I'm friends with a lot of people who have been playing various instruments since they were young (and yet none of them can teach me because they all play by ear. I've never been able to do that and would need someone who can teach me to play from music sheets).

My dog doesn't hev any melk in his pellow case.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:12 am
Profile WWW

@Saibara: LOL, clarinet. This is one of a few instruments I have tried and just....I don't know, it just didn't work. I guess I never took lessons on it, so my embouchure is probably terrible, which accounts for the squeaks and squawks. I recently got a tenor sax too- again, single reed issues, but it's in being fixed, and I've told myself that if I'm paying to get it fix, I'll have to get over my single reed issue. :) I have a lot of respect for clarinet/sax players just because I struggle with it. AND YAY BASS! Have you ever tried upright bass? Yes they're huge and lumbering, but they're so much fun! :D Electric bass is just plain sassy and awesome. +1!

@bishielurfer: Aghh, flute. I should've added that one to my list with clarinet and sax....I guess woodwinds in general are just finicky when you're starting XD Except for some people, who can just do it. I got to be decent on flute (just in the low range, the higher octave stuff....Not so much) when someone likened it to playing notes on the lip of a beer bottle, which I can do quite well XD. I'm happy to hear you've picked up piano and guitar, though! They're like...The meat and potatoes of instruments, lots of people play them but they're relatively easy to learn (at least you won't play out of tune on a piano like you would on a violin or trumpet!) and sound AWESOME when learned well. What kind of music do you play? There are lots of guitar tab websites, and most music stores carry fun music books for piano so you can learn movie themes/video game themes/popular music. :)

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Been playing electric bass for like 7-8 years (and still can't play with a pick to save my life :D), double bass (the one that looks like a really big cello) for almost 2 years, and singing for 3 years, via being involved in music in school constantly all the time forever. Also can barely manage playing drums, and I'm trying to self-teach piano. Played trumpet for 3 years, quit because I don't need a reason to quit trumpet (hint: it wasn't fun ever), and tried to learn guitar but yeah the not being able to play with a pick thing got in the way of that.

wow I kinda do a lot

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:28 pm

I've been playing piano since I was 6, and my other main instrument is euphonium. I do piano individually and play euphonium in my school ensemble. I've been playing it for about 4 years; I switched from oboe (lol) to balance the band. It was probably one of the best choices in my life. I love the euphonium! It's such a pretty instrument.

Piano-wise, I like playing classical and romantic music; Mozart and Ravel are probably my favorite composers.

Image Image ImageImage

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Played guitar for a few years and I know my way around a piano. c:

Image Image

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:24 am

Alltoken wrote:
@Saibara: LOL, clarinet. This is one of a few instruments I have tried and just....I don't know, it just didn't work. I guess I never took lessons on it, so my embouchure is probably terrible, which accounts for the squeaks and squawks. I recently got a tenor sax too- again, single reed issues, but it's in being fixed, and I've told myself that if I'm paying to get it fix, I'll have to get over my single reed issue. :) I have a lot of respect for clarinet/sax players just because I struggle with it. AND YAY BASS! Have you ever tried upright bass? Yes they're huge and lumbering, but they're so much fun! :D Electric bass is just plain sassy and awesome. +1!

clarinet is so hard ndvslk i totally underestimated just how difficult it is to even tongue notes ;___; I MEAN I COULDN'T EVEN DO IT /WHAT/ i could only slur lol. i just learned clarinet off this beginner music book and learned some of the basics from my step-dad who was a former tenor sax/mild clarinet player nzlxkds but all these alternative ways to play stuff and these keysssss /dies. TENOR SAX IS ACTUALLY my favorite instrument it just sounds so grand along with the baritone/euphonium! NLDSKNZ PLEASE DON'T REMIND ME OF UPRIGHT BASS LMAO our high school band director took me out of my last period class one day so he could mentor me a bit regarding upright and it was such a horrible experience. holding the bow properly was a challenge enough for me and i couldn't even use pizzicato either AND OMG THE WHOLE IDEA OF IT BEING FRETLESS and having to spread your fingers out more in an awkward position is the worst, i tell you. u__u but omg thanks bass is pretty sassy \m/.

FoliePortions wrote:
, and tried to learn guitar but yeah the not being able to play with a pick thing got in the way of that.

ndslvknl i've always struggled with picks tooooooo

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:55 am

@FoliePortions: *hi-fives* I've never been able to use a pick either, for bass or guitar. I'll use one to play mandolin, but that's about it. And upright bass is soooooo much fun! :D Being at the back of an orchestra is always fun too- I play trombone with a band now, and I'm really loving the fact that we sit in the back, as opposed to playing violin and being in the front of the group. I've played a bit of trumpet, but it never really grabbed me, though I love the sound of a professional trumpet player. :)

@Phoney Baloney: EUPH!! Loves the euph! And when a good composer puts a really nice euph line in a piece, it just sings! And heh, oboe...Double reed....Always an adventure! Have you ever tried bassoon?

@eikthyrner: What kind of pieces do you play? :)

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:15 pm

@Alltoken haha yeah upright bass is definetly interesting to play. I'm one of the only 2 string basses which are ALL the string instruments our orchestra has because it's a wind orchestra, so no one really hears us anyways = P I also play it for our jazz ensemble, which is a LOT of fun.
Yeah, the sound of a professional trumpet player is just wow but it takes a LOT of work and practice to get to that level, I wasn't willing to go through that when I didn't enjoy playing it = P

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Alltoken wrote:
@Phoney Baloney: EUPH!! Loves the euph! And when a good composer puts a really nice euph line in a piece, it just sings! And heh, oboe...Double reed....Always an adventure! Have you ever tried bassoon?

Oh gosh. Well, the oboe was definitely hard to play, which is partly the reason I switched. There were 7 oboes in my junior high school's band and 4 of us switched/dropped, so. I feel like oboe was a hit-or-miss instrument, and I missed! All the oboists at my high school now are like insanely skilled. I haven't played bassoon ever, but I think I really prefer the mouthpiece to the reeds. Oh god the reeds. Such an investment right there. Definitely prefer brass instruments.

Image Image ImageImage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:20 pm

all these band instruments pfffft. /orchestra o bby. i, um, "play" the violin
and l-lol i hate that stupid thing jfc trying to learn strings on the cello. <3
i took piano lessons for a while, mostly during summers, but never really
cared for it. my dad keeps trying to make me learn music but ehhhh. string
instruments are hard to get used to, especially if pitches change whenever you
get new strings or have the instrument repaired. NOT TO MENTION DAMN
WEATHER. asdfhks. don't take frets and knowing where your fingers go for
granted k. also. i'm so jealous of you people who can play by ear. :'c i like
messing around with it for fun, but school performances are just a pain. and
it takes me forever to actually get sheet music and counting rhythms.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:24 pm

ahhhh, everyone here is just so talented! ; v; oh my goodness, there's such variety here! bass, violin, clarinet, euphonium, ahjfhdbfdgf

oh, but. um.
I play guitar. 8D acoustic, usually! I don't actually /own/ an electric guitar, but I've tested them out at the local music store and they're bunches of fun! and my aunt has this adorable ukulele that I can plaaay and I want one of my own. ; w;
I've also practiced on my sister's electric bass, which is a very sexy instrument-- what
who said that
anyway!
I can also play the synth and keyboard. but ... it's a lot more difficult for me. I'm trying to improve, though!
but yeah. I'm mostly a guitar player. o uo I want to try drums and more keyboards and EVERYTHING EVER, though.

i'm also sort of trying out singing and i don't know if that counts but i'm horrid anyway h-hahahah

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Haha wow so many people here play such an awesome mix of instruments! It makes me want to go find something more interesting.

Alltoken wrote:
@bishielurfer: Aghh, flute. I should've added that one to my list with clarinet and sax....I guess woodwinds in general are just finicky when you're starting XD Except for some people, who can just do it. I got to be decent on flute (just in the low range, the higher octave stuff....Not so much) when someone likened it to playing notes on the lip of a beer bottle, which I can do quite well XD. I'm happy to hear you've picked up piano and guitar, though! They're like...The meat and potatoes of instruments, lots of people play them but they're relatively easy to learn (at least you won't play out of tune on a piano like you would on a violin or trumpet!) and sound AWESOME when learned well. What kind of music do you play? There are lots of guitar tab websites, and most music stores carry fun music books for piano so you can learn movie themes/video game themes/popular music. :)

I didn't have that much trouble playing the flute, but it was so quiet! Half the flute section could stop playing and you'd hardly notice. I always sorta wished I'd picked clarinet or something when I started band. Oh well.
Right now I just play the beginning chords and what not in the practice books I have. xD I haven't gotten around to learning any real songs. But I already know what the first song I want to learn to play on piano is. It's called "Glitter in the Air" by Pink and it's such a lovely song. uwu Not sure about guitar, though. I got mine as a graduation gift so it's an electric and it's a bit strange to me.

My dog doesn't hev any melk in his pellow case.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 pm
Profile WWW

I'm a viola player myself, dropped piano and the flute a few years, back just couldn't juggle it all! I also do that singin' stuff, so that's kinda like an instrument~!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:38 am

I'm not the most musical person really. I played the recorder briefly at school. I have always fancied learning an instrument though.

Image My shop- berries, breeding and retros!

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:23 am

I played flute for four years but haven't touched one for over a year since the one I used was the school's. If we get a new band director I might give a shot at playing again since I really liked flute, but by the time that happens I'd probably have forgotten how to play already haha.

I've been wanting to learn acoustic guitar for a while (my dad bought one a long time ago for no real reason) but.. for the past three summers I've been telling myself I'd learn and ended up doing nothing u_u;; Maybe I should pick up a book about learning from the library or something, I don't know.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Been playing trumpet for 7 years now, I'm a member of my school's jazz and concert bands, marching band, and orchestra. :D

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:26 pm

I play viola!
Have since I was 11.
That's about a decade now ;o

I'm in a ska band with it, as well :D

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:30 pm

foenixX wrote:
I play viola!
Have since I was 11.
That's about a decade now ;o

I'm in a ska band with it, as well :D

Ska with... viola?