It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 3:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
80's and 60's 

Since my brother goes on the computer a lot and plays Pandora the entire time, I'm used to the 60's and 80's music he listens to. In fact, because of him, I've fallen in love with bands like Queen and The Beatles. They're songs are repetitive, yes, but not in the obnoxious way most of the new and/or mainstream songs are. I however do like some of them, like Stereo Heart because it has one chorus and different lyrics in between.

So, what's your opinion of the 20th century songs, mostly 80's and 60's?

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Cher is a goddess.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:57 pm

party rock was a communist plot to destroy all semblance of good taste in america during the '70s.
it worked, for the most part.

it must be said that there were some real gems, though

honestly i really don't like most of the music from those time periods. there was some genuinely great music from the time, yeah, but that's only because we've had time to filter it out from the haystack of bad music. my mom edits liner notes for time life, and since she's apparently in the "bad '70s music" division, i've grown up listening to a lot of it. this has the side effects of making long car rides (during which we use a communal ipod playlist) almost unbearable, as there's invariably a ton of bad songs.
i think that most of the people who claim that music's gone "downhill" now haven't listened to the stuff that was actually popular back then (e.g. studio 54) because it's really not as stellar as people make it out to be. it's far, far, far, more repetitive than music today and the lyrics are generally either matchingly vapid or totally nonexistant (save an occasional whispered dance!). also, they're not really giving modern music a chance. stuff like, say, regina spektor and death cab for cutie are neither repetitive nor crude. it's all about finding your niche in music. if it's not dance music, that's fine. i don't care for it either. but to take that and use it to say that modern music is "dead" isn't fair.

also p.s. it's not like i hate old music!! i love queen and the beatles and the partridge family (MAYBE EVEN UNIRONICALLY). i just don't like it when people complain about modern music being so terribad because it's not all written by freddie mercury.

itt: ship takes personal offense at people who like old music

Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 pm

OH I LOVE THE 60S swinging london~ especially jane asher the goddess of all the goddesses. and also pattie boyd LMAO BEATLE WIVES

(( edited a little uguu ))

ok i will talk about the beatles under this spoiler because i'm a super beatlemaniac and nobody understands
Spoiler: show
you can't probably tell but i breathe that era. i'd sell my entire humanity to be in that era because beatlemania dominated that era. the beatles were born in that era. the beatles, despite them being of male gender, GAVE BIRTH to classic rock and rock in general. save for the other geniuses from earlier eras such as chuck berry and buddy holly and ofc elvis! i could never ever ever ever see the beatles live ever even if i die trying, that is why i really really don't appreciate being born in the 90s to britney spears and all that jazz. the only thing i can hope for is for macca to not be too old to go to my coountry and i will buy FRONT ROW SEATS to his concert and i will shout his name and he will see me and sing 'i will' and AAAHHHHHH hes a grandpa ok!!! but tbh i love the beatles bc they're able to produce wonderful songs. the kinds of songs i LOVE. even though there are some songs by them that i hate (i am the walrus, come together UGHH)

ok since the music of the 60s is pretty much rock, i'd say it's not as noisy as the rock in the 'now' generation. i mean you know the ones like-- RED JUMPSUIT APPARATUS ugh i hate them FOR REAL their music is so sad and ugh but anyway i think 60s music is pretty great compared to you know- RED JUMPSUIT APPARATUS. i have a a lot of feelings towards the music in this era but ironically no words can express those

a bunch of great people and bands from the 60s are the who, the rolling stones, the doors, the hollies, the zombies, the kinks, pink floyd, bob dylan, ETC and also, they're probably not counted in the 1960 time frame but, the everly brothers! one of the highest peaks of their pop success was actually sometime in the early 60s! eeeEEP also, simon & garfunkel ; aaa;

i love oldies so much i know more about old musicians than my mom sob
(( HIDES FROM SHPN ))

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:16 am

Definitely agreeing that there was as much crap in previous decades as there is now. You just have to listen to some of the Number 1s to realise that. We just tend to only remember the good stuff.

On the other hand, I have a great fondness for bands of previous decades. I adore The Beatles. They really did change music and it's easy to see the influence that they've had on more contemporary music. Queen is a definite favourite. I admit that I am also quite enamoured of the 80s pomp rock XD Some of it was awful but the enthusiasm wears off on me. Also a lot of the political music which came out of that era which seems sadly to have vanished in most recent music. Simon and Garfunkel are a favourite, David Byrne of Talking Heads did a wonderful Latin themed album called Rei Momo which i have been listening to since I was 5.

My favourite album growing up was one of my dad's called 'Rock Anthems' which pretty much covers it. Also, his Rainbow Warriors Greenpeace album had some great music too.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:31 pm

SHPN wrote:
party rock was a communist plot to destroy all semblance of good taste in america during the '70s.
it worked, for the most part.

it must be said that there were some real gems, though

honestly i really don't like most of the music from those time periods. there was some genuinely great music from the time, yeah, but that's only because we've had time to filter it out from the haystack of bad music. my mom edits liner notes for time life, and since she's apparently in the "bad '70s music" division, i've grown up listening to a lot of it. this has the side effects of making long car rides (during which we use a communal ipod playlist) almost unbearable, as there's invariably a ton of bad songs.
i think that most of the people who claim that music's gone "downhill" now haven't listened to the stuff that was actually popular back then (e.g. studio 54) because it's really not as stellar as people make it out to be. it's far, far, far, more repetitive than music today and the lyrics are generally either matchingly vapid or totally nonexistant (save an occasional whispered dance!). also, they're not really giving modern music a chance. stuff like, say, regina spektor and death cab for cutie are neither repetitive nor crude. it's all about finding your niche in music. if it's not dance music, that's fine. i don't care for it either. but to take that and use it to say that modern music is "dead" isn't fair.

also p.s. it's not like i hate old music!! i love queen and the beatles and the partridge family (MAYBE EVEN UNIRONICALLY). i just don't like it when people complain about modern music being so terribad because it's not all written by freddie mercury.

itt: ship takes personal offense at people who like old music

i agree with you when you say people make unfair comparisons between modern music and older music, putting older music on a pedestal. that annoys me to no end. i'm kinda ehhh on the rest of your post tho. maybe i am misinterpreting, but older music and newer music go hand in hand in terms of how things developed over the years. for example (and while i dont really agree with this) the beatles are credited for inspiring people to get into creating electronic music with their track tomorrow never knows. i dont really agree with it because there have been examples of electronic music that date EARLIER than that track, but i guess because of the popularity of the beatles, its expected. no one has really heard of ruth white to give her credit for anything lmao.

to post on topic, i really really dig older music because of nostalgia reasons. lots of older stuff my mom played while i was a kid playing around doing kid things, so it reminds me a lot of that time. i do, however, like a lot more newer things than older, but i appreciate the older for inspiring and giving way for newer sounds. music yall. music rules.

ImageImageImage
http://meekstape.tumblr.com | http://twitter.com/meekstape

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]