It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Looking for wi-fi team advice 

I want to do some wi-fi battles with friends, and I'm trying to come up with two or three teams to rotate around. Nobody in the group cares about EVs, IVs, tiers, or anything like that, but we still care about the teams we use, and I want to have something balanced that can compete well in that sort of environment. I want to use only the Pokemon that were with me in my X, Y, White, White 2, and Ruby journeys, so what you see here is what you get. I'm mainly looking for moveset and item advice, as well as multiple other team possibilities.

Team #1
Spoiler: show
Jellicent @Leftovers
Ice Beam, Energy Ball, Will-O-Wisp, Surf

Jolteon @Shuca Berry
Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Quick Attack

Cinccino @King's Rock
Tail Slap, Bullet Seed, Rock Blast, U-Turn
Notes: Has Skill Link.

Charizard @Charizardite X
Earthquake, Fire Fang, Dragon Claw, Roost

Aegislash @Metal Coat
Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Iron Head, Aerial Ace
Notes: Yeah, it doesn't have King's Shield. Sue me.

Krookodile @Persim Berry
Embargo, Crunch, Earthquake, Outrage

Also available to choose from
Spoiler: show
Heliolisk @Zap Plate
Thunderbolt, Parabolic Charge, Thunder Wave, Bulldoze

Vivillon @Big Root
Draining Kiss, Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance, Psychic
Notes: I only have one Big Root, which I'm sharing between Vivillon and Sawsbuck. I see no need to have both on a team in the first place, but just keep that in mind when helping me build alternate teams.

Goodra @White Herb
Thunderbolt, Draco Meteor, Sludge Wave, Muddy Water
Notes: Looking into getting an Assault Vest, but for now, White Herb it is.

Venusaur @Venusaurite
Sludge Bomb, Poison Powder, Leech Seed, Energy Ball

Greninja @Mystic Water
Extrasensory, Surf, Ice Beam, Quick Attack

Rotom (Heat)
Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Hex, Confuse Ray

Chandelure @Meadow Plate
Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Flamethrower

Pyroar
Flamethrower, Hyper Voice, Will-O-Wisp, Dark Pulse

Delphox
Psyshock, Flamethrower, Will-O-Wisp, Psychic

Blaziken @Blazikenite
Slash, Brave Bird, Brick Break, Blaze Kick

Lucario @Lucarionite
Aura Sphere, Bone Rush, Close Combat, Dragon Pulse

Glaceon @Icicle Plate
Ice Shard, Ice Beam, Return, Shadow Ball
Notes: Doesn't have a good enough attack stat to make use of Return, so I'll likely look into its Hidden Power type. 60 power is better than nothing.

Zoroark
Embargo, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Night Daze

Golduck
Scald, Psychic, Ice Beam, Surf

Emolga
Volt Switch, Acrobatics, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt
Notes: Crippled by XY's lack of Flying Gems. I designed it from the get-go to be a bit of a one-trick pony, causing massive damage with a boosted Acrobatics and then getting out of there with Volt Switch as soon as a threat comes along. It shows.

Emboar @Shell Bell
Brick Break, Assurance, Heat Crash, Flamethrower

Reuniclus @Quick Claw
Trick Room, Psychic, Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball
Notes: Trick Room does its teammates no favors. Open to suggestions concerning a replacement move.

Sawsbuck @Big Root
Wild Charge, Horn Leech, Megahorn, Return
Notes: I only have one Big Root, which I'm sharing between Vivillon and Sawsbuck. I see no need to have both on a team in the first place, but just keep that in mind when helping me build alternate teams.

Gardevoir @Gardevoirite
Thunderbolt, Psychic, Double Team, Moonblast
Notes: Looking to build a team that uses her. I've never used a fairy before, and I'd like to see what they can do.

Absol @Absolite
Swords Dance, Psycho Cut, Night Slash, X-Scissor

Aggron @Aggronite
Earthquake, Iron Head, Double-Edge, Stone Edge
Notes: Debating the merits of Stone Edge vs. Power-Up Punch. Has Rock Head for maximum Double-Edge fun.

Breloom
Mach Punch, Stun Spore, Headbutt, Leech Seed

Linoone
Covet, Ice Beam, Surf, Thunderbolt
Notes: You might be thinking this is a stupid and terrible Linoone moveset, and you'd be right. But for ten years, this is the traditional set I've put on every Linoone I've owned, and for stupid, sentimental reasons, I'm not sure I want to change it.

Swampert
Earthquake, Waterfall, Giga Impact, Hammer Arm

Tumblr

Last edited by Harmonious on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:30 am
Profile WWW

What kind of access to items do you have? It's not often that a Sky Plate is Aegislash's best option. BP is pretty easy to get this time around (either from the Maison or a five-battle run at the Battle Institute), and it'd be worth it to get at least a Life Orb. Since they're friendly, it's obviously not imperative.

Reuniclus could really use Leftovers, which are on Route 12 if you don't have them. I'm not sure a Trick Room set would really work given the high-speed teammates it has; I might switch it out for your Goodra (swap Muddy Water for Surf, Outrage for Thunderbolt, and slap an Assault Vest [non-BP alternative: Rocky Helmet] on it).

Jolteon is fine; it's not one for coverage but it can threaten water-types very well. Quick Attack will have limited viability, given Jolteon's low Attack, but there's not a whole lot you could switch it for. If you want to avoid Earthquakes, give it an Air Balloon, but that's probably not worth your time. Shuca Berries are a low-cost alternative.
Jolteon's probably a good starter; if you want, give it Volt Switch to do some damage as you go.

Cinccino looks fun. Give it a King's Rock, because flinch chances stack and it's about fast enough to make use of it.

Charizard-X can be a pain to kill if you want something bulky (and given the rest of your team, you do). Swap Fly for Roost, at least, and consider Will-O-Wisp instead of Earthquake. Stealth Rocks probably won't be a thing, but if they do get set up don't send Charizard out unless it's unavoidable, since 50% damage isn't fun.

Aegislash could use Sacred Sword better than Aerial Ace. Give it a Life Orb, Air Balloon, or at least a Spell Tag or Metal Coat, since you'll do the most damage with Iron Head.

Krookodile's utility depends on how much switching and item-use there is. Swap Embargo for Knock Off, which got a great boost this generation (and has the same effect, but for the rest of the battle) and swap Outrage for Stone Edge since you've got two Dragons on your team. Accordingly, change the Persim for a Life Orb or Rocky Helmet (if you've used both of those, maybe an Expert Belt).

Greninja's a great choice if you want a Water-type special sweeper. It's fast and has great coverage.

Speed Boost Blaziken can be very strong when used well. Unfortunately, a poor switch into Earthquake can cripple it before it starts.

Jellicent is always a good idea. Swap one of the moves for Will-O-Wisp and give it Leftovers if you want to use it (probably over Goodra).

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Goodra can't learn Surf, and Krookodile could only have learned Knock Off if I'd thought to tutor it before transferring it into X. I forgot about the boost, so I didn't bother to do so.

I'll likely replace Reuniclus with Jellicent, because like you said, Trick Room doesn't do its teammates much good, and Jellicent can get rid of the ground-types that threaten Aegislash, Jolteon, and Charizard-X. I've already given Leftovers to Jellicent and King's Rock to Cinccino, and I'll make some of the other recommended item changes once I get a chance to sit down and play longer.

I'm also planning to finish Ruby this weekend and transfer that team over. I can't remember any movesets, since I haven't played in a while, but I have Gardevoir, Swampert, Absol, Breloom, Linoone, and Aggron. I definitely want to teach Gardevoir Moonblast and give her a mega stone, because I haven't had a chance to use a fairy yet, and I'd really like to. So if anyone has suggestions for a second team that uses Mega Gardevoir, please let me know.

Edit: Went ahead and brought my Ruby team in. Expanded movepools mean I have to do a lot of moveset updating. Their sets listed in the first post are what I have in mind for them, not necessarily what they actually currently have. I also tweaked sets for several of the other listed Pokemon.

As far as opponents go, most everyone has been working on their teams in private, but I've had a few practice battles and helped some people obtain certain Pokemon. Here's what I know I'll be up against:

• Speed Boost Mega Blaziken. I've seen this one use Earthquake, Sky Uppercut, and Flare Blitz, but I took it down before I could see its last move.
  • Azumarill with the standard moveset of Belly Drum, Play Rough, Aqua Jet, and Waterfall.
  • A Cinccino just like my own, but with Protect instead of U-Turn.
  • An Eeveelution team. I haven't battled it yet, but I know I'll be seeing Leafeon with Chlorophyll, Jolteon with Quick Feet, and Sylveon with Cute Charm. All I know of movesets is that Leafeon has Leaf Blade.
  • Lots of fire-types in general. Besides the Blaziken, I've seen Delphox, Talonflame, and a bunch of Charizards.

Tumblr

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]