It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Laws Punishing Children Who Run Away from Home 

Minors are citizens just as legal adults are, they are just faced with additional restrictions due to their age (and often status as dependents).

Also this has little to do with the discussion but nobody is truly "free" in a civilised and governed society.

miss u xo

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:11 pm
Profile WWW

well if you look at it that way i guess modern civilization's motto should be "free to do as you see fit as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's life." and i agree completely with SHPN, determining wether a minor is mature enough to be independent is far too complex, and there's really nothing wrong with our current coming to age method. people tend to think of "ideal" and "perfect" solutions, without putting much thought into the consequences that would come with their proposed solutions, which would make more problems than they solve :uhhuh:

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Bringing them back is probably for their own good though, or so they say.

It's right that many kids can take care of themselves. If someone gets emotionally punished and tossed around by their parents, it's more likely they'll want to escape to retain a less stressful mindset. Sometimes, a few kids end up running away, without realizing what their guardians had offered the, and such, at a very young age.
In the end, it's really just the guardian's fault if they actually didn't do such a nice job at raising the child at all. Even if the child grows disobedient and such, parents shouldn't neglect them either, even when they say when they want to be left alone. Too bad no one wants to ever hear the child's side of the story.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:28 pm

I don't know about other states but in Georgia the county i live in it's not that bad because when i was 16 i left and went to my moms.. Yes some of you are going to say that's not running away but i left with my mom's mom and dad and then went to my moms without my dads permission and he called the law and they said "There is nothing we can do she is almost 17 she can legally make her own decisions if she wants to stay with her mom she can.." In the end i came back to my dads because of school and stuff

But i don't think kid/teen should be punished for running away because now days if a kid/teen runs away it's because they are either getting Emotionally Abused or Physically Abused. I think the state should find them another home for a few days and let the kid/teen decide on what they want to do? Not the Parents But that is my opinion.. Do i regret coming back and living with my dad sometimes but then again i think if i stayed with my mom my life would have been in a heck of a mess then it done already is..

ImageImageImage

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:05 pm

That law is so stupid it makes those who believe a dragon puppet was real look smart. Unfortunately, I did fooled some teens throughout my high school into thinking my dragon shoulder puppet was real without my knowledge until people start asking three months after Halloween was over how my dragon was doing. :awyeah: Ventriloquism basics for the win!

If a child runs away, then the police need to figure out why first before they return the kid to another adult if not the parents/guardians. It should give the police a chance to find abusive parents/guardians. If the kid is disturbed about things not related to the adults near them, then the ones who find them should try to figure out how to make the kid feel better.

:bah: I personally think the USA is making more laws just to make more money with the economy's condition. They probably don't care how stupid their laws may be.

Feel free to browse my pokemon and talk to me if you want to trade. Here's some Ghost Pokemon I'm willing to sell/trade.

The Twin's Shop Feel free to visit our shop as well! My sis is trying to sell berries and a few other things while I try to sell retros, berries, gacha balls, eggs, and other things I don't want to keep for myself.

Mafia Spreadsheet: none
Instructions for using RNG to test Mafia games: The Beta Version
Image Thanks, Kiyoko!

Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:11 pm

I hatehatehatehatehatehate laws like this. These are the sort of things that kept me in a home I was terrified of growing up.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:21 pm

That law is pretty stupid, in my opinion. If a minor runs away from home, there must be a REASON. I think the Government shouldn't PUNISH the kids, but should step in and find out the reason behind, and try to help them solve their problem(s).

Sun May 25, 2014 3:49 am
Profile WWW

I agree with most people here stating that this law is ridiculous. I live in Germany and here children have a lot of possibilities to get help in case their parents are abusive or anything similar to that. Whether they go to their teachers, parents of their friends... there are also people visiting schools who're especially educated to help children and teenagers in bad situations. If children really run away from home, it can be that they just feel misunderstood and don't know how to cope with their anger or frustration. Or the parents/siblings really treat them horribly and they see no other way to escape. All in all, it's the parents' fault when the child runs away from home like that.

I mean, we're talking about children who run away. Do you think a happy child would do that with no solid reason?

As far as I know, children are not responsible for their horrible family home. And when a child has some sort of psychological defect, it's not responsible for running away either. You cannot punish someone who's not able to control overwhelming feelings like most can.

So yeah, all in all, this law is an evidence of incapacity.

WISHLIST SHOP AUCTION BUYING

Hi there! If you want to stay in touch, feel free to add me or drop me a line! :)
              ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
              tumblr: narubabe.tumblr.com
              twitter: @seikothings
              email & facebook: pm me!
              ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:17 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3