It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Consumption 

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/wit ... peechless/

Please be careful before watching. Depicts the mild horrors that our food animals must face.

This is a strong video, and if you watch till the end, you will see why.

There was talk of vegetarianism and vegan-ism that turned a bit wild so...any thoughts? Is this just feels for the cute animals, or are you really concerned? would you feel the same way about a trees or a feild of vegetables being abused? (since they are all alive and studies show that certain plants can feel pain)

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:48 am
Profile WWW

I feel for the animals we eat, but I also realize that human beings are omnivores and have always hunted some form of meat since the beginning of our species. While I do not agree with the way we treat the animals we farm for food, I have to admit that it's probably one of the few ways we can mass-produce chicken, cow and pig to millions of people around the world. Yes, there are vegetables and other foods that give us protein, but there is no food that provides so many nutrients to us than meat does.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Factory farming is indeed horrific, but personally, the simple act of killing animals to eat them isn't barbaric—it's how all carnivores (and omnivores) spend their days.
The difference, of course, is that bears don't raise cows from birth with the specific intention of eating them,* so I understand when people object to meat. As it is, Americans eat a heck of a lot more meat and dairy than they should, but the politics behind both that and anything that would reverse that trend are difficult, to say the least. Reforms in factory farming would drive up the price of meat and animal prices to crazy levels, which most people would be irate about. Shock videos, though, aren't the answer. PETA's famous, sure, but they're famous for being awful, not for their track record.

The most compelling argument for vegetarianism I've read, actually, is from an ecological standpoint—the amount of water it takes to raise a single cow is monumental compared to grains or other plants.

*i think ants do something like this though

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm

The thought that many meat eaters have is that the animals are put to death in a much more peaceful way, and in cases like this it's simply wrong what the workers do. But that is not true, anybody that thinks this isn't the way animals get killed for our own pleasure is stupid. I became a vegan a couple years back when I was following my Environmentalist ideas. Eating meat it natural, and I have no problem with killing an animal or plant or any being for that matter in order to feed yourself and your family. I do, however, have a problem with the confinement of beings, brutality towards beings and the abuse created by Capitalists towards beings for the consumer human. There is a difference between eating your own catch, and supporting a major corporation(s) that, essentially, enslave the animals. I think it's disgusting that some believe that the only way to produce enough meat for the world is to confine animals in cages, force feeding them more than needed, brutally murdering them and then serving them to us at the supermarket.

In short, screw the workers, and screw the consumers.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Being in the restaurant industry, I've noticed a lot of waste. People will order large plates of food and not finish it. They may not even get through half of it. Improper cooking leads to failed meals that get thrown away. people throw away food with slight physical imperfections. Statistically, the restaurant industry (chefs and customers) alone throws away a third of what they purchase. People forget things in the fridge and throw it away.

Perhaps instead of raising/ torturing more animals, we could be more careful about our consumption.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:33 pm
Profile WWW

mizumanta wrote:
Being in the restaurant industry, I've noticed a lot of waste. People will order large plates of food and not finish it. They may not even get through half of it. Improper cooking leads to failed meals that get thrown away. people throw away food with slight physical imperfections. Statistically, the restaurant industry (chefs and customers) alone throws away a third of what they purchase. People forget things in the fridge and throw it away.

Perhaps instead of raising/ torturing more animals, we could be more careful about our consumption.

This. It's so hard to do this, but if even a million people started doing it, we'd see an increase in humanity towards the treatment of animals raise for slaughter.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]