It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Lessons at a young age 

http://www.upworthy.com/watch-a-teacher ... le-2?c=bl3

questions?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:12 pm
Profile WWW

That's an interesting video, but I feel that conducting a test (or whatever you'd like to call it) on young children is rather cruel and shouldn't be done, regardless of the lessons they'd learn from it.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:49 pm

One might argue that it is somewhat less cruel than the legally imposed segregation that was going on at the time.

It's hard for kids to grasp abstract concepts. This simulation helped them to learn and experience first-hand the hurt that comes from discrimination and also that it can come even from those who are otherwise kind and friendly people--in this case, their friends. I don't doubt that at least some of their parents were upset by integration measures, which can be confusing for kids since they often try to imitate their parents.

It's a valuable lesson for anybody to learn, though many don't, but it's clear that it's one they haven't forgotten.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:37 pm

I think this was wonderful, actually. From the start of the video, this was obviously in a time where racial segregation was applied; with the kids saying that blacks and indians (native americans?) weren't to be considered their brothers. I admire what the teacher did in a time like this; to teach children at such a young age (before they have that sort of racial discrimination implanted hard in their minds) so they'll remember it for a long time.

In the long run.. I think it'll affect more of the individual than the society. Obviously not everyone has been put in that classroom to feel how being belittled of a physical feature actually feels; it's only a pinch of people that experienced that in an ocean of others that didn't. They'll (hopefully) learn the lesson, but others won't and will carry on with their usual lives separated from the 'Different People'.

But how is this cruel? It's a valuable lesson to be learned, and you can't really learn something to the fullest unless you experience it first hand. If someone describes or shows you how to write the letter "R", or if someone describes or shows you how to dice onions, you can't fully learn something unless you do it yourself. Isn't that why teachers make you do things yourself instead of just showing you or explaining stuff? To make you learn from it yourself?

Obviously it wasn't funny to them when they were being restricted because of their eye color, and when that one kid hit the other kid, but both sides took turns on knowing how it felt so they could understand. The kids were smiling and laughing the in the beginning and at the end. In my eyes, it looked like they learned something and they knew it was just a temporary experience for them. I don't think they're scarred for life because of this.

apologies if this post didn't make much sense. It's 1 AM and I'm sort of dazed but I still wanted to comment because this was a pretty cool video

[ happy holidays ]
______w!sh

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:24 am

I didn't watch the video, (no headphones and my computer doesn't have built-in speakers, probably wouldn't use them anyways, most of them suck), but from what I read in the short paragraph and title, that isn't ground-breaking.. at all..

Multiple psychological studies have shown how much hate is in us. It's not any one thing that it's directed at, those things are just reasons we use to allow the hate to flow. At least that's what I think of it.

I collect ponies. I then set them on fire. We all need our fix.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]