It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Jailed League of Legends Player 

Not sure if you guys have heard about this.

Quote:
Justin Carter, the Texas teen jailed over a sarcastic Facebook comment, is reportedly on suicide watch.

"He's very depressed, very scared, and ... concerned that he's not going to get out," Carter's father, Jack, said in an interview with CNN Tuesday. "He's pretty much lost all hope."

Carter, 19, was arrested in February of this year following an argument he had on Facebook regarding "League of Legends," an online video game.

"[S]omeone had said something to the effect of 'Oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head,’" Jack recalled to ABC affiliate KVUE in an earlier interview. "To which [Justin] replied 'Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were 'lol and jk' [all sic]."

Despite the teen's insistence of "lol" and "jk" -- internet shorthand for "laughing out loud" and "just kidding," respectively -- a woman who came across the comment on Facebook failed to see the humor. She alerted police after realizing Carter lived near an elementary school. On February 13, a judge authorized a search warrant. A warrant for Carter's arrest came one week later, reports WPTV.

Given recent school-related violence, the threat was taken seriously, meaning Carter has been charged with making a "terroristic threat," a felony that carries up to an eight-year prison sentence. His bail: $500,000 , reports NPR, an amount his family can't pay, thus keeping him behind bars.

"Without getting into the really nasty details, he's had concussions, black eyes, moved four times from base for his own protection," Jack elaborated on Justin's current condition in jail. "He's been put in solitary confinement, nude, for days on end because he's depressed. All of this is extremely traumatic to this kid. This is a horrible experience."

$500,000
That's a 5 with 5 zeros behind it. That's 8 years in jail if that bail isn't paid. x:

Thoughts?

Source
Kotaku's post
ramzpaul's take on this, I thought it was interesting.

[ happy holidays ]
______w!sh

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:08 am

Hmm. At least they do take things seriously. It's traumatic for the individual in question but authorities get accused of not doing enough every time gun violence crops up.

Also, in that youtube video, the first thing that the man says is "justin carter is a 19 year old kid" and it sort of bothers me that an adult is being referred to as a kid. It's a subtle thing to promote the speaker's agenda but he is old enough to be treated as an adult and held responsible for his actions.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:13 am

this reminds me of a case a couple years ago where a kid got expelled and referred to the police for including the word "stab" a couple times in a stream-of-consciousness assignment.

I do think that people really overreact to things like this; the types of people who are actual threats don't tend to go around talking about their great plan to kill everyone. It's like how saying "bomb" in an airport will get you immediately detained--no terrorist is really going to make jokes about blowing up an airplane, since that's a) dumb and b) really suspicious. If the security system steps in when someone does that, though, it makes its presence felt so everyone gets the illusion of being safer. they're not actually doing anything to prevent violence, though.

In going after people like this, they waste time and resources. The rate of school shootings has dramatically increased over the past decade, even while "preventative" measures like this have disproportionately risen, and no amount of suspending second-graders for pop-tarts is going to accomplish anything other than creating an environment of suspicion and neuroticism. I honestly can't say what should be done other than a change in American culture (which isn't exactly feasible), but this is most definitely counterproductive.

and regardless of whether the guy is a legal adult or not, no one deserves eight years in federal prison for deadpan.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:58 am

That is messed up.

I remember a school boy who was arrested for having a Death Note in his possession. Yes, there were names of several fellow students, but he wasn't planning on killing them. Judge dismissed the case, saying there was no intent of murder. No weapons were found in his home.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

It's an absolute misuse of our criminal justice system. This person made a JOKE and made it online. The authorities completely overreacted, almost in a 1984 type way. If we are jailing people for telling jokes, we have a serious issue of personal liberty at hand. This should not even be considered a "terroristic threat". The government's complete lack of respect or faith in its citizens is appalling. Go after the real terrorists, not 19-year-old boys who make jokes on a League of Legends website. Disgusting.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 am

i wouldn't go quite as far as comparing it to 1984; i imagine it stems in large part from public pressure. when mass shooting happens, everyone's like "why didn't they catch it?" and police departments are obligated to overreact to give the impression of an efficient and effective justice system ("look, we caught more people! that means it's working!"), which makes the public feel safe. if they don't, they're criticized for being negligent. that's all on us, not the government.

really, the true villains are people with no sense of humor.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:24 am

I'm always complaining about how weak the prison sentences are in the Netherlands.
But this is way too extreme in my opinion, he didn't do anything wrong since he wasn't planning on actually killing someone.

Journal x Buying x Giveaway x FB Page

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]