It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
GOODBYE DOMA 

Struck down!

What's your take? I'm personally happy for America and it finally opening up to these. :>

*STRETCHES OUT POLIWAG LEG FOR MILES*

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Sporadically active. If I post, it means I was asked to see something.

Sometimes, I sell natured Pokémon. Black market's good this time of year.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:28 am

If I read it correctly, this is awesome.
This is a step forward in showing that all people are equal.
I hope any places that have banned gay marriages will understand how stupid they are and unban it.

Creyn

() ()
(0.o)
(")(")

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 am

I was so excited to the news that DOMA and Prop 8 were struck down! In addition to same-sex marriage being recognized, their financial standing will (hopefully) improve, because of spousal benefits.

Here are some of the other federal benefits that same-sex couples are eligible for now: source
Spoiler: show
— Survivors’ benefits: DOMA barred gay and lesbian couples from many entitlement and welfare programs, including doles tied to Social Security. Same-sex spouses will now be eligible for Social Security survivors’ benefits upon the death of a partner, among other forms of assistance, according to a December 2012 report by the Human Rights Campaign.
— Tax-free employee health insurance: Federal law has lagged behind the almost 40 percent of Fortune 500 companies who offer tax-free employer-provided health benefits to domestic partners. Health coverage for the spouses of gay and lesbian employees will now be available without any taxable strings attached.
— IRS perks: Gay and lesbian couples have historically faced a higher tax burden than traditional couples, according to M.V. Lee Badgett, the Research Director at the Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation Law and Public Policy at UCLA. Same-sex spouses can now claim a host of perks, from estate tax exemptions to head of household deductions. What’s more, same-sex spouses can file tax returns jointly, avoiding additional strain on wallets.
— Emergency leave: Present law does not offer gay and lesbian employees time off from work to tend to a domestic partner or that partner’s family member, according to the Human Rights Campaign. But the guarantees provided by the Family and Medical Leave Act will soon become available to same-sex spouses.
— Green cards and visas: There are an estimated 28,500 binational same-sex couples — meaning one partner is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and one isn’t — but DOMA did not allow the former to petition for the latter to immigrate, according to the Williams Institute. But gays and lesbians may now lobby the federal government for green cards or visas for a non-American same-sex partner.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Cyezro wrote:
I hope any places that have banned gay marriages will understand how stupid they are and unban it.

actually, because the government recognises gay marriage, when a legally married gay couple moves to a state that doesn't allow gay marriage they are probably going to sue because their marriage isn't legal in the state they are in. and they will probably win the case because the federal government allows same sex marriage. therefore the federal government will say that the state can't say the marriage isn't legal because the government says it is. so basically in the states where gay marriage isn't legal it is only illegal to get married because the couple could just get married in another state and then move back and the state couldn't really do anything about it.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:21 pm

The Supreme Court didn't quite strike down DOMA. They struck down half of it—the benefits part—but section two, which allows states the ability to block same-sex marriage, still stands. If that goes, then legalization can be done on a federal scale. Full legalization wouldn't happen without that (COUGH THE SOUTH COUGH), but this is a nice step. I enjoy it.

starbit wrote:
Cyezro wrote:

actually, because the government recognises gay marriage, when a legally married gay couple moves to a state that doesn't allow gay marriage they are probably going to sue because their marriage isn't legal in the state they are in. and they will probably win the case because the federal government allows same sex marriage. therefore the federal government will say that the state can't say the marriage isn't legal because the government says it is. so basically in the states where gay marriage isn't legal it is only illegal to get married because the couple could just get married in another state and then move back and the state couldn't really do anything about it.
The federal government has no stance on gay marriage; again, they still officially grant the states the right to bar same-sex marriage. I'm not sure how a case like that would play out, since this does create an awkward duality. It's likely that this ruling wouldn't affect how gay marriages are treated in states that don't permit them, which would include cutting off these perks (since they're "not married"). The best solution is just to repeal the other half, but that'll take quite some time.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:34 pm

As a person who opposes Government I don't care too much for this, in the big picture it's still not 110% legal OR acceptable to marry the same sex, so whether the law says one thing or another it really doesn't change the fact that so many Americans are conservative judgmental homophobic idiots. I'm super happy for the homosexual community, however, and that they're happy with the progress. But honestly, I think we need to take a step away from trying to make it legal..rather, to spread the word and love around to other's that way we could have more supporters and possibly change the mindsets of the ones who stand against our community. People have got to realize that we are all human and we have basic human rights to do as we wish and does rights should not be denied.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 pm

gay marriage has pretty widespread support in the united statesalready. at this point, to be honest, the only people who actively oppose it aren't the type whose opinions are easily swayed. besides that, they're older and religious: two groups that (historically) are neither willing to change their views nor exactly embrace social change.
that's not to say that PR isn't important, but to shift focus away from legislative and judicial progress (which is where it'll ultimately be decided) is counterproductive.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm ecstatic about it. I personally am not gay, but I know many amazing people who are, and they deserve their basic human rights. Good job America; you've finally done something right!

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]