It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
Having serious difficulties 

Hey everyone! It's been quite a long time since I've posted on this site, but I'm in need of a little help and I was wondering if anyone here could possibly offer me some much-needed advice.

I'm a freshman in college, and I am currently taking a class called Algebra 102, which is basically algebra for high schoolers. I've always been horrid at math—English is my strong suit, and I've always struggled with my math classes, even in high school. I have an 84% in the class as of now, but I have to get a 70% on my final or higher to pass the class. I have three attempts, and I've already used one today. I received a 58.8% on my first try, which was abysmal. I only have two attempts left, and I leave for home noon on Friday. Basically, I have until Thursday at 9:00pm to pass. If I do not get a 70% or higher by then, I fail the class completely and may have to retake it.

I may not have to retake it, as I believe I had the option to take Precalculus instead of Algebra 102 when I first signed up for classes, but if I fail out of the class my GPA will be lower than I want it to be. I may already be failing Biology 151...I can't afford to get grades as horrid as this. College has been a bit harder on me then most: I'm 1300 miles away from my family, I have no friends, and I have no one but my boyfriend, who can only visit me on weekends. I had a toxic roommate who nearly let me bleed to death (without my boyfriend I would've been seriously ill) and I spent a lot of time struggling to stay focused and go to classes due to chronic sinus infections that, at some points, were nearly debilitating. I'm stressed to the extreme over this math test, and I'm not sure what to do. If I fail out of my class, my parents will be furious. "I'm a waste of money", "I should study harder", "Don't you respect how much we've paid for you to go to college?" etc, etc. I don't know what to do.

I'm planning on getting up early tomorrow to study, and then try to retake it in the afternoon, but...I'm not sure if I can do it. I've had so little support and I've been thrust into the world on my own so quickly, I guess I didn't adjust soon enough. I don't want to fail...I can't fail. But I might. And I'm not sure how to deal with that. Have any other people here been in college and experienced the same situation that I have?

Thank you for your help, if you can offer it :).

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Please lock this thread. The test has been passed, and I feel as if a heavy weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:25 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]