It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
I can't believe Nintendo would allow this. 

Teilayh wrote:
I don't know, I found it extremely hilarious that PETA created and posted something like this. I guess it's pathetic, cruel, sick, whatever, but it isn't surprising that they would pull a stunt like this especially after the US release of BW. PETA was bound to get wind of it and take that concept and run.

I kind of agree with Teilayh. First of all, I don't think too many people are going to truly take this seriously and it's kind of to be expected from a group like PETA. I actually found myself laughing throughout the game (though I did not watch the video because those things are just too much for me) because of all the awful inaccuracies and laughably false ideas PETA seems to have about Pokemon and Nintendo in general...

Follow Me on Tumblr

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:35 am

WyndiWingfall wrote:
SHPN wrote:
to be fair, the majority of pets brought in to shelters are brought in because they're old or infirm anyway--they'd have a higher euthanasia rate than normal in any case.

also, i think it's pretty clear that peta doesn't care how accurate they are; what matters is that they got attention. look at this topic: everyone's talking about it. they're not saying good things, of course, but they're still saying things. that's all that peta wants. typing out a lengthy paper on where, exactly, they went wrong isn't going to change anything; they look at pokémon and see a game where animals fight, and since that opinion's clearly controversial, they're going to stick with it.

But...attention alone isn't enough to get anyone to do anything. PETA relies on shock-value campaigns, which garner a lot of public attention - but not support. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see right through their media campaigns; all they're doing is getting more people to turn against them - which I would assume is not what they're aiming for. So yes, good for them, they can get attention - but...it really doesn't help their case?

Anyway, I don't think most of us typed out our lengthy opinions with any actual change in mind - we just wanted to say something. And in my case, I was responding to a friend anyway.
oh, yeah, i'm not saying it's a good strategy, but it's seemed to work for them so far.

also, that was in response to richard_and_blaziken:
Richard_and_Blaziken wrote:
And when I contacted Peta with a lengthy email about why they're ignorant about Pokemon, and telling them about my own anti-Peta campaign, I got a long automated email (suggesting that they've been flooded with emails about this).

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:38 pm

This particular incarnation of PETA's stupidity is only mildly amusing to me, just because it's so ridiculous. They've done plenty of other things that, I will admit, have outraged me on more than one occasion - some of which have even been mentioned in this very thread - but this just makes me smirk and shake my head. I have to wonder if they actually think people will take this seriously. They don't seem to be very bright people by any stretch of the imagination.

The hypocrisy displayed by PETA is absolutely astounding. As has been stated, they kill more animals than many of the organizations they rally against. Don't eat animals, they say? Well, I guess we'd better start teaching the lions of the world to eat tofu. Animals eat other animals, it's nature. And humans are technically animals, we're just the most common apex predator, and have higher intelligence than the others. (Although, when I see things like this, I start to think that's debatable.)

What really gets me is that they think every single species of animal should be completely separate from humans. Really, now? Let me get this straight, PETA. You want me to release my three African Pygmy hedgehogs, a species that has never been wild, (created as a hybrid species in captivity; you will not find them wild anywhere in the world. If you find one outside, it's escaped or been dumped) and force them to fend for themselves, something they simply do not know how to do? Lolno. THAT is cruel. It would be a death sentence, and not just to them, but to any domesticated animal. Cats and dogs would be better off than most, since they can pretty much take care of themselves - and many do, as strays - but for the most part, people's former pets would be dying off en masse. If they really think that's what's best for the animals, then I have to wonder what, exactly, they are using in place of brains.

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

VDex: Image GPX+

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:38 pm

honestly I think PETA dumb.

I'd rather donate to SPCA.

I hear they do a splendid job saving animals better than PETA(which kills most of the animals they save) and plus they only resort to sacrificing them when it's only necessary to do so..

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:46 pm

lovelybones0 wrote:
Peta's craziness has been going on way too long. This info-graph has some good examples. Nintendo really should take legal action, this is just not right.
Spoiler: show

Found this interesting [even though I knew most of this already]. Just two things -

1. Why did they protest NASA? I'm genuinely curious about this.
    2. That last sentence is a personal attack on Ingrid Newkirk's beliefs. Not cool. From many environmental perspectives, it is morally dubious or even morally irresponsible to have children [overpopulation issues, humanity already reaching the carrying capacity of the earth]; women have the right to be childfree for whatever reason. As long as she's not using PETA to get out the word that she's against having children, I...don't see any reason for that point to be on there, and it completely ruins the tone the graphic was taking before. Are environmental reasons popular as reasons for not having children? No, but she shouldn't be criticized for them if they're not related to PETA.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:24 pm
Profile WWW

I would assume it was a fact that was supposed to give example of her character as a person.
Kind of to pose the question of "should you really trust this person with animals?".
The attack on beliefs over birth I don't care much for but the other two statements were relevant to the topic, so it seems dismiss-able.

I don't really know about the protest against NASA, sorry bout that.

Le GPX

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:02 am

I'm not going to actually open/play the game because reading the responses to it is bad enough. PETA, what selfserving, pathetic, hypocritical small minded morons. Thanks for the infograph, I didn't know those things. I feel a little sadder about the state if the world knowing that they're able to get away with what they do. I live near Seattle and I enjoy going to the Pike Place Market when I can. There's a seafood vendor that's been there for YEARS and when someone orders fish they make a big, fun production of tossing the fish to each other putting on a show. PETA decided that this was disrespectful to the dead fish and dressed up as dead mermaids and blocked the marketplace by physically lying on the floor in front of them. It was ridiculous and only proved that they are idiotic attention **ores that will do anything to get on camera.

Excuse me while I go beat a PETA member with a giant key.

(And I took that comment about the woman opposing birth as her being a woman opposing ALL human women having children. With the extremist views they so often hold I don't think it's too farfetched of an assumption. If not the I agree that that has no bearing on anything. And not to derail the topic, but why even mention the age? I was sterilized at 23, big whoop. I don't get it.)

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 am

PETA is ridiculous.
That parody game is just not okay.

And while I was on tumblr,
I stumbled upon this comic.
My heart broke into many tiny pieces...

Spoiler: show
Drawn by graphiteknight.
Based on this.

journal/ wl (2012) / ???

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:55 am

Smallbirdie wrote:
(And I took that comment about the woman opposing birth as her being a woman opposing ALL human women having children. With the extremist views they so often hold I don't think it's too farfetched of an assumption. If not the I agree that that has no bearing on anything. And not to derail the topic, but why even mention the age? I was sterilized at 23, big whoop. I don't get it.)

Still, I wouldn't mind her having that opinion as long as she kept it to herself. Having that statement there without any context just seems...irrelevant. I understand what lovelybones said about the graphic probably using that fact as a reflection of Newkirk's moral character, but a statement like that is only shocking due to socially ingrained beliefs....If you look beyond that and really think about why Newkirk would oppose giving birth, it says something different about her principles entirely.

find me:

ImageImage

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:11 am
Profile WWW

WyndiWingfall wrote:
What did they have against Cooking Mama? That the dishes weren't all vegan?

Apparently.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 am
Profile WWW

...I wish I hadn't been joking when I came up with that answer.

find me:

ImageImage

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:51 pm
Profile WWW

I seriously can't believe they're taking pokemon THAT seriously. I mean, I wouldn't be SO annoyed with it if they had actually bothered to do their research. There's so much wrong with the game mechanically not to mention morally.

First off: Ash has put his own life on the line many, many times for pokemon rights.
Secondly: Going for shock value (the oshawott sprite was quite disturbing, IMO) should be left to Creepypasta. Reason for this? They're pixels. They have the emotional value of a potted plant. There's no need to get uppity over it teaching children to be abusive toward animals. The show itself shows humans and pokemon working together in mutual respect. There have been several instances where pokemon didn't WANT to battle, and their trainers didn't make them. It's a show based off friendship and trust, not abuse and disloyalty.

Thirdly: This is peta we're talking about... there's no sense with them. They just make up some bullcrap concept and run with it. Does anyone remember the "Save the seakittens" Campaign?

Peta is just a huge joke, with a nonsense purpose. They've got all their ideals skewed, and they're killing more animals than they save. Making a parody of a pokemon game didn't "help their cause", it just made them look like a bumbling band of babbling baboons. Bl

Hallo Ladies and Gents, My name's Sin C: Feel free to chat with me.

"We fall from womb to tomb, from one blackness and toward another, remembering little of the one and knowing nothing of the other ... except through faith."STEPHEN KING

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 pm

vouix wrote:
WyndiWingfall wrote:
What did they have against Cooking Mama? That the dishes weren't all vegan?

Apparently.

BRB going to vomit.

also SPCA is still better than PETA.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Well no duh the SPCA/ASPCA are better. They're government run (at least, the law enforcement part is) non-profit organization. They were made strictly to help animals and I don't even think you pay taxes for them. It's all donations. Meanwhile, PETA, I couldn't even figure out if it was non-proft or not. Since they didn't say, I'm going to assume it's either for-profit, or dubious. It's run by a couple people, and is very susceptible to their corruption. The very core of the organizations makes it so one is much better than the other.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:44 am

PETA is a non-profit organisation. They're not trying to be shady and they aren't corrupt or governed by lobbyists or any other high-profile or high-influence people. They're just misguided in their efforts to be rational activists.

Whatever, I don't like PETA and I think their shock value, in-your-face method of activism is gross, but I get why they have a problem with Pokemon, even if I personally disagree. In Pokemon there is the implication that animals exist as extensions of people, which is against PETA's ~creed, so to speak. I understand why they'd be concerned that Pokemon as a franchise would be impressionable upon younger people who may or may not have an active parental figure nurturing them into a nonviolent lifestyle. I mean it really is easy for kids to be "raised" by media these days, and if nobody tells them that Pokemon and their dog exist in two different realities, they could directly grow up to be unsympathetic to things like animal welfare, which is a big issue in today's world.

Don't get me wrong, PETA sucks. They do far more harm than good, even if they have been at the root of a lot of successful oustings of abuse (and to me that matters). And as other people have said, Pokemon does champion some rights to an extent, and the protags treat their Pokemon as friends. But extreme as PETA may be, and as crappy as their activism strategies may come across, we really should have come to expect this from them, as a militant rights group.

miss u xo

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:43 am
Profile WWW

I think in this case, I am pretty appalled (well..in general) at the misappropriation of funds. I believe PETA is a non-profit (please do correct me if I am mistaken). I thought they were funded for the admirable cause of stopping animal cruelty. Were I on the board, I'd have a stroke. This 'game' (as I work in interactive development) wasn't a cheap investment of labor-hours. Wouldn't that money be better spent on, let's say, educating people on how to treat animals, what is animal cruelty and neglect and what you can do about it, on advertising what HELPFUL resources they have to help solve a very real and very serious problem? And not attack video games that may portray (at a glance) violence but on deeper inspection the entire theme is love and respect for the creatures within? There is a prevalence of real, terrible crimes towards animals globally and this, this is how they want to spend their time and money?

scroll | tumblr

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

That game is sickening! :what:

PETA is nothing but a bunch of sick-minded jerks who are too uncreative to think of a better way to stop animal cruelty. They shouldn't abuse Pokemon this way. I think Nintendo should sue them for this...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Whenever I see PETA, it's always something to grab attention, and never in a good way. :bah: Most things they do are against their 'animal rights' blabber, and this is just disgusting. There are even reports that PETA euthanize animals, at least from what I've heard.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:29 pm

You know, I like to think that PETAs thought process while making the game was something like this: Animals fighting animals? Abuse and neglect! Animals fighting humans? Progress.

Anyway, I admire PETAs goal of anti-animal cruelty, but the frolicking nuts things they do make me wanna go over to them and beat them to death with my fists. And what's reaaly WTF-worthy is the fact they admit to having played the game to the end when Ghetsis shows up, making them seem even dumber, if that's possible.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Pokemon are animals. Pokemon fight other Pokemon. Pokemon don't fight humans, and humans don't fight Pokemon. I'm confused as to how PETA finds this to be animal abuse. If the Pokemon doesn't want to fight, it won't—I've seen Pokemon who have refused to fight in episodes before (Charizard is the only one I can remember right now).

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next