It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
I can't believe Nintendo would allow this. 

DISCLAIMER: Because this is PETA it, of course, has to be absolutely heart-wrenching and disgusting. For example, Tepig has their ears nipped and Pikachu is missing a bite mark of their ear. Check it out at your own risk.

http://features.peta.org/pokemon-black- ... te-parody/

PETA just absolutely butchered Pokémon in a parody to promote animal rights.
Like, you initially have to battle Cheren as Pikachu to knock some sense into them, and then Cheren is like 'NAH TEPIG LOVES ME' and then you get Tepig into your party.
This is ridiculous.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 pm

this is so cruel

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 pm

by the way, that game contains "prizes" that are literally videos of real animals being abused. i'd steer clear of it if you're at all impacted by stuff like that.

i don't think nintendo's caught wind of it yet (from what i understand, it just got put up today) and given that it's using copyrighted character names (instead of their other nintendo takeoffs) i doubt it'll stay up for long.

really, the best thing to do is to ignore it. they're peta, all they want is attention.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Yeah, Nintendo wouldn't allow this. If anything they would probably consider it infringement or something like that.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 pm

That's stupid. Even if PETA was right about animals, which... they're kind of misguided and too extreme... using Pokemon to try and make a point is just dumb. This is almost as bad as when they tried to rename fish to "sea kittens" so people wouldn't want to eat them. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 pm

PIKACHU STOP TOUCHING\HUGGING CHEREN IN THAT PLACE!
Also,lol at PETA dumbness.
Anyway.......
Who wants a Goldeen fillet?

In fact, everything is Stunfisk. Nothing is not Stunfisk.

ImageImage

Image{SEE MY COLLECTIONS!}Image{TRADE WITH ME!}

Awesome avatar made by Ailoncha!

ALWAYS BUYING SHINIES!

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:28 am

:what:
Just...Wow.
I can't begin to describe how low that is...
Next, maybe they'll have the tellytubbies abusing their pet vacuum?
This is just.... :sob: What is wroooong with you PETA?

Image Image

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 pm

This is why I will never support Peta. I am completely disgusted with this, and have rallied many people to join me in reporting this to Nintendo. This was Nintendo's response to my e-mail:

"Hello,

Thank you for bringing this incident to our attention, and sharing your concerns with us. Nintendo takes the inappropriate use of its products and intellectual property seriously. Nintendo is not affiliated with PETA or with the game they have created.

For the latest news and information on upcoming Nintendo products, please keep an eye on our website (http://www.nintendo.com).

Sincerely,

Crystal L. Odam
Nintendo of America Inc."

And when I contacted Peta with a lengthy email about why they're ignorant about Pokemon, and telling them about my own anti-Peta campaign, I got a long automated email (suggesting that they've been flooded with emails about this). I'll only post the first bit; if you want the full version, contact Peta yourself (which I hearily encourage!):

"This game offers a lighthearted way to bring attention to the very serious
subject of cruelty to animals. The game’s main message is that animals are not
ours to eat, wear, experiment on, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other
way. PETA’s game allows Pikachu and his friends the opportunity to spread the
message of Pokémon rights by sharing PETA’s video “Free Me” (http://www.PETA.org/tv/videos/animal-ex ... 08001.aspx),
which takes viewers on a heartbreaking journey through the horrors of using
animals for food, clothing, experimentation, and entertainment."

Uhm, excuse me? Since when is an alcoholic Cheren beating Pikachu with a baseball bat and cutting him with scissors lighthearted? This angers me to no end, and Peta disgusts me.

And now I turn to you, the VDex community. You are all obviously as outraged as I am, so rather than just complain here, let's do something about it. Send Peta your outraged response, and if you feel the same as I do, tell them that you will never support their endeavors. Even if that isn't true (though for me, it is completely true), Peta needs a wake-up call.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:20 am
Profile YIM

Richard_and_Blaziken wrote:
Uhm, excuse me? Since when is an alcoholic Cheren beating Pikachu with a baseball bat and cutting him with scissors lighthearted? This angers me to no end, and Peta disgusts me.

Plus, given the fact that he's only around 12 years old and drinking...

Also, PETA, despite evidence in the game credits that they had a "researcher" (yes, you read that right. They hired some dip to "research" pokemon) gather information on pokemon for their game, they clearly didn't make it past the first half of the first episode of the anime: http://pepsi-senpai.tumblr.com/post/33179566918 Given the content of the game, they got their information from 4chan and Memebase.

Image Image

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Vice-Leader Prince

It's so pathetic. It's been quite clear since the first iteration of Pokémon games that the real focus is on how people should love and respect their Pokémon, and there has never been anything quite like when Ash dies for the sake of Pokémon in the first movie.

Incidentally, MovieBob discussed PETA the last time they had a go at Nintendo—give it a watch, it's quite interesting.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:28 pm
Profile WWW

Peta tends to preach their ideas through twisting something completely innocent and make it disgusting. This is ridiculous that Peta make fun of Pokemon and the fact they make a sick game to "teach" a lesson. Clearly they did not do research.

Edit: Not to mention they do this stunt out of shock to attract people thinking about animal rights. While I agree to some extent for animal rights, Peta should not use things and make it into violent and gory games to prove their point.

The Warp Star shop!
Buying: A lot of Sunstones Auction: Nothing Kickass: A Revolution Wishlist

MI time: 12:07 at Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

Last edited by Kirby-Chan on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:39 pm
Profile WWW

wow, they must be really desperate for attention. no idea how this cruel game is meant to help them, us, or animals :(

>> My shop <<
Wishlist | Journal
DeviantArt | youTube
Top monsters site | Demo 0.1

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:23 pm

I actually wrote about this extensively on tumblr; here's a clean copy -

Quote:
1. Equating hurting virtual animals to actually hurting animals in real life is…misguided on PETA's part. Chaining? Poisoning? Beating? There are games where you can do all those things to humans; there are war simulation games, for crying out loud! But there’s a difference between setting your Sims’ house on fire and watching them run around screaming and glitching, and actually setting someone’s house on fire and watching the family run out screaming, because most of us - most people in their right minds - understand the difference between a virtual world and the real world. We understand that violence in a video game can’t be carried over to real life, and we understand that Kingdom Hearts doesn’t promote beating up people with a giant key in real life.

Yes, there are animals suffering chaining and poisoning and beating in real life, but putting it in a video game and doing it to virtual creatures of a fictional species doesn’t help - firstly because of that disjunction between video game world and real life world [even if said video game is a parody and not strictly meant for entertainment], and secondly because the fact that doing it to Pokémon, creatures in a show that repeatedly promotes friendship and equality and love, just brings up a reaction of incredulity. What PETA demonstrated on those Pokémon was…pretty much worse than anything done in the show to Pokémon; in the show and the games, no one could ever hurt Pokémon that much and not be stopped. That’s one of the morals of Pokémon: good guys always win, and good guys are the ones who love their Pokémon. It’s drilled into your head: if you treat your Pokémon like tools and hurt them, you are the bad guy. There are no evil Pokémon - only evil people.

2. PETA promoted violence against humans and tried to justify it. With what I said before in place, yes, it’s not equal to hurting people in real life. But it’s the principle of the thing - that someone who’s hurt a Pokémon/animal deserves to be hurt themselves as punishment. Okay, hypothetically, I understand - we want to give animal abusers a taste of their own medicine. But in real life, in a first world country? Violence against another human being, no matter how inhumane said person is, can still be a crime if you’re not law enforcement. It doesn’t seem very satisfying, but you have to stick the guy in prison and let him rot - that’s his punishment - and you can’t continue the cycle of violence.

3. The case of Snorlax. Pikachu just left behind Snorlax because he “didn’t have time.” Good job, PETA. How many animals did you leave behind just because you “didn’t have time”? And by leave behind, I mean euthanize even though you claimed to have saved them. 95.9% of the adoptable dogs and cats in its care in the year 2011? Oh dear.

The point to take away from this is that PETA is much more focused on shock value campaigning than actually helping the animals in its care [look at the amount of money it pours into media campaigns - and think about how much money went into the making of this actually playable game, with its smooth graphics and everything]. It’s a terrible organization with an extremist view.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:38 pm
Profile WWW

I think I just died a little bit after seeing this...

It is just plain disgusting.

Sure I'm all about animal rights and stuff.
but this is just going way too far.
WTF is wrong with PETA...

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 am

I saw this going around on tumblr and I thought that it was absolutely pathetic.
So, apparently, pokemon is definitely contributing to many cases of animal abuse according to PETA. I remember the whole brawl going on between the new mario release, too, and they've made a similar game with cooking mama, which, like with the pokemon one, completely exaggerates false faults and accusations of the games "promoting animal abuse."

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:08 pm
Profile WWW

WyndiWingfall wrote:
95.9% of the adoptable dogs and cats in its care in the year 2011

;-;
that's terrible. now I see why pet owners are advised to neuter them.

>> My shop <<
Wishlist | Journal
DeviantArt | youTube
Top monsters site | Demo 0.1

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:17 am

silverwind wrote:
WyndiWingfall wrote:
95.9% of the adoptable dogs and cats in its care in the year 2011

;-;
that's terrible. now I see why pet owners are advised to neuter them.

to be fair, the majority of pets brought in to shelters are brought in because they're old or infirm anyway--they'd have a higher euthanasia rate than normal in any case.

also, i think it's pretty clear that peta doesn't care how accurate they are; what matters is that they got attention. look at this topic: everyone's talking about it. they're not saying good things, of course, but they're still saying things. that's all that peta wants. typing out a lengthy paper on where, exactly, they went wrong isn't going to change anything; they look at pokémon and see a game where animals fight, and since that opinion's clearly controversial, they're going to stick with it.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:09 pm

vouix wrote:
I saw this going around on tumblr and I thought that it was absolutely pathetic.
So, apparently, pokemon is definitely contributing to many cases of animal abuse according to PETA. I remember the whole brawl going on between the new mario release, too, and they've made a similar game with cooking mama, which, like with the pokemon one, completely exaggerates false faults and accusations of the games "promoting animal abuse."

What did they have against Cooking Mama? That the dishes weren't all vegan?

SHPN wrote:
to be fair, the majority of pets brought in to shelters are brought in because they're old or infirm anyway--they'd have a higher euthanasia rate than normal in any case.

also, i think it's pretty clear that peta doesn't care how accurate they are; what matters is that they got attention. look at this topic: everyone's talking about it. they're not saying good things, of course, but they're still saying things. that's all that peta wants. typing out a lengthy paper on where, exactly, they went wrong isn't going to change anything; they look at pokémon and see a game where animals fight, and since that opinion's clearly controversial, they're going to stick with it.

But...attention alone isn't enough to get anyone to do anything. PETA relies on shock-value campaigns, which garner a lot of public attention - but not support. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see right through their media campaigns; all they're doing is getting more people to turn against them - which I would assume is not what they're aiming for. So yes, good for them, they can get attention - but...it really doesn't help their case?

Anyway, I don't think most of us typed out our lengthy opinions with any actual change in mind - we just wanted to say something. And in my case, I was responding to a friend anyway.

find me:
tumblr | aywas | steam: stormhover

ImageImage

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:37 am
Profile WWW

Peta's craziness has been going on way too long. This info-graph has some good examples. Nintendo really should take legal action, this is just not right.
Spoiler: show

Le GPX

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:32 am

I don't know, I found it extremely hilarious that PETA created and posted something like this. I guess it's pathetic, cruel, sick, whatever, but it isn't surprising that they would pull a stunt like this especially after the US release of BW. PETA was bound to get wind of it and take that concept and run.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image Image Image Image

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next