It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Parents!!! 

We all have them
Some of us have a mom or dad we don't like or maybe even both

Do you have a bad relationship with your parents?
Do you have feelings that you would like to get off your chest but you don't want to sit down one on one with a counselor you have came to the right place??
You can express your feelings towards you parents here and you dont have to feel like they are going to find out because they wont? (unless you leave this page open on the screen then they might find out).
You can ask us what you should do.

What have your parents taught you?
Stand up for Myself

don't let someone control your life
they have taught me bad things to my dad for one smoking drinking

What choices have you made in your life based on what your parents have done to you or to each other?
Ex: When i was about 5 i lived with my mom and my step dad.. My step dad is a Meth addict(so is my mom) and Alcoholic.. He would come in and start fighting with my mom and then it would get to the point were it would get Physical. I remember we were at someones trailer and they start fighting and he picks up a jewelery box and throws it at my mom and busts her nose and blood is going every where. She picked him over me after all this happen and she is still with him till this day she says he has changed but i went down there two years ago and nothing has changed. I told her if you want me to stay leave him but she didn't so i left.(some might say that was selfish of me but i would never choose a guy of my kid and sure as hell not twice if my kid wanted back in my life and all i had to do was leave someone i would do it in a heartbeat)
What i learned out of that is i am never going to let a man abuse (i can't say Verbally abuse me because my dad does that to me everyday).

Even though i have had a hell of a life i still love them but i will never put my kid in situations like that.
what are some of the things that your parents have taught you or made you who you are today?

ImageImageImage

Last edited by tess18 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm not sure what my parents have taught me.
I mean, I'm sure they did.

But I make my decisions based on what I want.
But I guess it was them who taught me how to be a good person. idk.
My father passed away 10 years ago, so I don't remember too much about him.
Though I do know he loved fishing and camping.
Maybe that's where I grew to love fishing.
He smoked several packs of cigarettes a day.
Hated being around that smoke.
Though, I have realized, I miss him more that last few years, than before.

As for my mother. I love her. but damn she annoys me.
And now she has this boyfriend.
I do not like this guy though.
(thankfully my brother thinks the same as I do about this guy)

Either way, I am rambling.
Not talking about what they taught me. Sorry.

I guess all I can say is they taught me to be a good person and make my own decisions lol.

Creyn

() ()
(0.o)
(")(")

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:37 am

Cyezro wrote:
I'm not sure what my parents have taught me.
I mean, I'm sure they did.

But I make my decisions based on what I want.
But I guess it was them who taught me how to be a good person. idk.
My father passed away 10 years ago, so I don't remember too much about him.
Though I do know he loved fishing and camping.
Maybe that's where I grew to love fishing.
He smoked several packs of cigarettes a day.
Hated being around that smoke.
Though, I have realized, I miss him more that last few years, than before.

As for my mother. I love her. but damn she annoys me.
And now she has this boyfriend.
I do not like this guy though.
(thankfully my brother thinks the same as I do about this guy)

Either way, I am rambling.
Not talking about what they taught me. Sorry.

I guess all I can say is they taught me to be a good person and make my own decisions lol.

It's ok my dad loves fishing and i love it too i'm sorry about your dad
I know some kids have problems with their parents and they don't like talking to counselor's about it so i thought maybe this would help them but i don't know what do you think??

ImageImageImage

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:51 am

Worded part of my post wrong.
Meant I wasn't staying on topic of what parents taught me, lol.

Either way, I can see people using this.
Not just kids.
Like, I'm not a kid, but I came here and felt like expressing about my parents.

I know of people who do have issues with their parents.
It's sad.
I wish more people have great relationships with their parents.

Creyn

() ()
(0.o)
(")(")

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:28 am

Cyezro wrote:
Worded part of my post wrong.
Meant I wasn't staying on topic of what parents taught me, lol.

Either way, I can see people using this.
Not just kids.
Like, I'm not a kid, but I came here and felt like expressing about my parents.

I know of people who do have issues with their parents.
It's sad.
I wish more people have great relationships with their parents.

I wish i did i know i used to have a great relationship with my dad when i was younger but now everytime i asked him something he just gets a smart ass attitude and says f*ck no and then sits there and makes fun of me and calls me fatty and a stupid b*tch. I Don't Know what i did wrong to make him hate me so much and another thing i wish i had was how kids and parents tell each other I love you my dad and i have not said that to each other since 4 yrs ago..

ImageImageImage

Last edited by tess18 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 am
Vice-Leader Prince

My parents-related story is long and complex, so I'll just cut it down short and say the two important life lessons my mother ingrained in me as a child.

The first: Actions have consequences. You can do whatever you like, but you need to be willing to accept the consequences. I find a lot of people are not made to answer for their actions and that's not the right way to think; you need to be able to evaluate whether the action you're doing will result in positive consequences or negative consequences, and choose what you need to do based on that. Of course, perfect foresight is impossible, but at least I learned to consider before acting or speaking.

The second: Respect those who respect you. My mother taught me this inherently, though her actions. The first lesson is an example of this; she allowed me, as a child, to choose what I was going to do, but held me responsible for what I did. She helped me out, of course, usually by telling me what the consequences would be if I broke the rules, but I was still more or less in control of my own way. There are plenty of situations in life where you need to respect people simply because of their station in relation to you, but the boss who takes advantage of your position rather than treats you with a respect is not worthy of your full, honest respect--only cordial, business-like consideration.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:31 pm
Profile WWW

To be honest, my parents never really taught me things other than the usual stuff like don't steal, be respectful to your elders, don't do drugs, etc. But those things I learned when I was little.

My parents were always working so I never really got to see them or really talk to them. My dad would be flying around the world while my mom worked as a nurse. I rarely got to see my dad and when I did, it was nice but my parents would start fighting :/
So eventually my parents did get a divorce which I saw coming but they decided to tell me the day it was finalized. Like seriously? You couldn't tell me ahead of time?

I envy people who have a good relationship with their parents. I mean I love my parents and I wouldn't wish them any harm but honestly we're not that close at all. No family dinners, never having the time to talk to them about anything in general because they are so busy.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:19 pm
Profile WWW

derpinchu wrote:
To be honest, my parents never really taught me things other than the usual stuff like don't steal, be respectful to your elders, don't do drugs, etc. But those things I learned when I was little.

My parents were always working so I never really got to see them or really talk to them. My dad would be flying around the world while my mom worked as a nurse. I rarely got to see my dad and when I did, it was nice but my parents would start fighting :/
So eventually my parents did get a divorce which I saw coming but they decided to tell me the day it was finalized. Like seriously? You couldn't tell me ahead of time?

I envy people who have a good relationship with their parents. I mean I love my parents and I wouldn't wish them any harm but honestly we're not that close at all. No family dinners, never having the time to talk to them about anything in general because they are so busy.

I understand not having family dinners my dad and grandma and me never set down and just talk over dinner i have tired to get my dad to stay and eat with us but he don't. Thanksgiving is coming up which we want eat together and i will probably end up going to my cousins house to eat dinner with them. My dad and i used to be close but were not no more. Like a few mins ago he came in and got a smart ass tone and said move i need to looking something frolicking up i said you could ask nicely instead of being a smart ass to me all them and he said NO i don't need to ask frolicking nicely so i just walked out of the room and when he left i came back in

ImageImageImage

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:34 pm

tess18 wrote:
I understand not having family dinners my dad and grandma and me never set down and just talk over dinner i have tired to get my dad to stay and eat with us but he don't. Thanksgiving is coming up which we want eat together and i will probably end up going to my cousins house to eat dinner with them. My dad and i used to be close but were not no more. Like a few mins ago he came in and got a smart ass tone and said move i need to looking something frolicking up i said you could ask nicely instead of being a smart ass to me all them and he said NO i don't need to ask frolicking nicely so i just walked out of the room and when he left i came back in

I think Thanksgiving and Christmas is the only holiday my family will attempt to have dinner together. Most of the time it usually doesn't work out as planned. But this year it's just going to be my mom, my sister, and me.
I'm sorry to hear that you're not close with your father anymore.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:49 pm
Profile WWW

i dont really have a great relationship with my biological mother and father. im okay with my mom, but i havent seen my dad in years and i plan to keep it that way. my mom made some mistakes in her life but generally i find that shes a smart person, even though she suffers from ms now and can't take care of me. as for my grandparents, i love them and everything that they do for me, but my gramma has such a tight grip on me and didnt want for me to turn out like the rest of her kids that i basically dont have freedom - or if i do, i assume that i dont. its a difficult thing to explain.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:23 pm
Profile WWW

I can say with some degree of certainty, that somehow in the course of being taught life lessons, my mother seemed to forget to ingrain me with her brand of prejudice. She also apparently forgot a few details to keep me from being an independent thinker, but maybe she wasn't anticipating the Internet.

I was taught to respect others. I was also taught "do unto others...". I put those two lessons together on my own and figured out "Hey, if I'm not being treated with respect, why should I give them my respect?" This...resulted in me being kicked out of my senior-year World Civ class. Which my mother was none to pleased about. Apparently "do unto others" only applies to people not in a position of authority. I seemed to have missed that lesson /sarcasm.

I was also taught to be responsible for my actions - to the detriment of my mother's self-image. I figured that if I was going to be blamed for my bad behavior and praised for my good behavior, then my actions reflect on nobody but myself. So if I didn't care what the people around me thought of me, I didn't see the point in acting like they should think me a wonderful child. Which...gave my mother no end of frustration.

There are several other things that my parents unintentionally taught me, as well, like don't get trapped in a marriage "for the children," don't let somebody else run my life, stop caring about what the neighbors are going to think/say/do, don't spend outside of my means, the latest gadget is not always worth getting, etc... Y'know, life lessons. Except for how to file taxes.

But yeah, I had a huge falling out with my mother over, well, me. Being me. I haven't talked to her in...a year and a half or so now. And she owes me like $3k. I...sort of talk to my dad, but it's more of a business relationship than anything, seeing as he's the cosigner on my loan and that's...pretty much all we ever correspond about. I'm actually quite pleased with this whole arrangement because dammit, they screwed up enough of my life and I'm finally living it on my own P: (Except I get to deal with my boyfriend's parents instead, who insist on treating me akin to some adopted child - and believe me, that's not really that great. Especially since they don't actually like me. It's like my biological family all over again!)

Mostly I think parenting is a crock. That's why I'm never gonna be one! |Db

ImageImageImage

this twitter is not safe for anyone.
don't like my avatar? refresh the page :D
avatar credits and stuff can be found here

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:09 pm
Profile WWW

For my parents...

I was fostered for 2 years at my aunt's house because my parents both had to work. I still call my aunt 'Mama' and my uncle 'Papa' since it's a difficult habit to break. After my parents began raising me, I realised that some things aren't as what you think. My parents practically wired their own prejudices and racism into me and I would disagree greatly with what they had said. My parents can also be overprotective because apparently 'I'm too kind, I'll get duped by others'. I was taught to trust your friends as much as you can, and guess what? I was ostracised for the last 2 years of my primary school life because my 'friends' decided to spread malicious rumours about me. I didn't give up though.

Of course, then there was the comparison problem and etiquette issues- 'would you please start acting like a girl and not a gangster?' I'm generally close to my cousins on both sides because my parents are very, very fillial people. I guess that's why I seem to itch to help people. Respecting others took a back seat for me because I have ADHD and tend to blurt things before thinking it through. It's like today when I saw this man pay for his $20 meal on his credit card and I thought 'what the hell, flaunting your wealth or something' and it sort of came out. Embarrassments are common.

*STRETCHES OUT POLIWAG LEG FOR MILES*

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Sporadically active. If I post, it means I was asked to see something.

Sometimes, I sell natured Pokémon. Black market's good this time of year.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:23 am

Since I was about 12 I was living in a situation where my folks wanted nothing to do with me. I lived in a situation where these people were more like roommates that wouldn't clean up after themselves.
I went where I wanted, when I wanted, and that was that. They just didn't care.

I can't remember much of my childhood, so that's about the best I've got.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:00 pm

my dad is very aggressive where he'll yell at the top of his lungs about the smallest things, always self-righteous. he does this every day at least 2 or 3 times-- once he even scared off a friend so he doesnt come over anymore. and since i've talked to a couple of close friends about this, one of them commented that he may have anxiety, idk. hes very old-fashioned, cheap, spoiled, and ungrateful because he always takes advantage of my angelic grandma and makes her cry a lot and believe everything's her fault yeah
hes currently at vietnam and wont come back til around early january and i don't miss him one bit

my mom and step-dad are so cool, fun, and i love them a lot. since my dad isnt here, he doesnt keep my brother and me practically locked inside the house, restricted to going out at all, so i'm really happy i can hang out with them more without having to be scared asking for permission each time.

but i'm so sorry for your situation, your step-dad seems so awful. bless your heart. :-(

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:22 pm

My family was a normal family, for me anyways, both my parents work all day, so I'm used to it being me and my two younger sisters. So not much was taught, but I became very independent, which is good being an exchange student.

My host family on the other hand, treats me like a 7 year old, my host dad was teaching me table manners and how to hold my knife and fork properly the other day. I have been here less then a week and I'm already going crazy. Help meeee D:

meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:39 pm

I come from a conservative Muslim family, and I've spent most of my life trying to escape their influence. My parents were always pretty stern in their beliefs. They're racist, homophobic, and their religious and cultural ideals are insulting to women. At 17 I was told I would be disowned because I was dating a black guy. I also had considered myself an atheist from the age of 9. I'm super liberal whereas my parents are conservative. I was terrified to tell them I wasn't a Muslim and I knew one day I would eventually be disowned because I couldn't live up to their racist beliefs (in terms of relationships and marriage), and that's what pretty much spiralled me into depression. It was really bad...I would sleep for 12 hours at a stretch and spend days in the house watching TV or staring at the walls. I was like a zombie, completely miserable. I sometimes couldn't even find the motivation to get up and shower (gross I know lol) or brush my hair. Eventually I ran away from home at 19, and left my parents a letter detailing my feelings.

I moved back in a few months later after some (failed) counselling and talking. The important thing is that my feelings are in the open. My parents now know I will ultimately do and think as I please. It's a relief to not have to go pretend and pray and to be able to say "I'm going out clubbing" and not be scared to have a drink or two, or even be able to sleep at a friend's house. It's a relief not to have to hide a relationship, should one ever come up.

My mom is still overbearing and constantly insults me. I don't talk to her much, to be honest, because of that. My dad is always quiet. We barely talk. I don't care anymore to nurture a relationship with either of my parents. It is what it is at this point. I can honestly say I can't wait till the day I don't have to see or talk to them on a regular basis.

This sounds rather bleak, and I guess it is, but it's something I've long accepted! And it's just a pill I have to swallow until I'm able to move out.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:05 am

i honestly couldn't ask for a better mom. she supports me no matter what life decisions i make, but still keeps me in check if i'm being stupid.
she's taught me to respect others, and treat others how i would want to be treated. she also taught me how to stand up for myself, and that i shouldn't be friends with someone if they don't accept me for who i am.
and she gives really good career advice uwu
im pretty sure she just wants the best for me!!! i feel really lucky to have a parent figure like her.

flavors.me

Last edited by veregna on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

removed tiny text

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pretty Princess

@medias: Please be aware that the smallest allowable font size is 85.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:32 am

A bit off topic, everyone in my class was talking about how horrible parents they would be, making their kids do everything, expecting them to be the best in response to the usual pressure they get from their parents.

I would rather be the fun parent.

Party◕Shop◕Mafia Club◕Most Current Wish List◕Most Recent Mafia Game◕Nuzelocke Club
Spoiler: show
i'll be true, i'll be useful...
i'll be cavalier, i'll be yours my dear...
and i'll belong to you...

...the one who nobody verses "I love you"...Image

Thanks to Kaos Kaiser for the Trainer Sprite!

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:34 pm

I could probably write a book for this.

I learned a lot from living with my dad and step-mom. Namely; you can't trust anyone, especially adults.

My step-mother was immature and abusive, and my father was/is co-dependent. My dad eventually made a rule that she couldn't touch me, but that doesn't stop emotional abuse and I'm pretty sure he still doesn't think that's a thing. I remember, distinctly, having just cleaned my room, and she, for reasons I didn't comprehend at the time (and still can't recall) because I was so upset, went into my room and pulled all of my drawers out and threw it all on my floor. She cleaned it up later, but dad had to apologize on her behalf.

My step-sister was over for the weekend and we were talking late at night. We were at the computer outside their bedroom, and she was wondering what would happen if she wrote a letter to the court that she did not want to see her mother anymore (rousing show of support right there!). The Parental Unit had been listening and came out upset. She and her daughter proceeded to have an argument and I fled to my room. Eventually the Unit got so upset she went back in her room, while her daughter went to her room (in the basement). The Unit came back out a few minutes later, calling for her daughter, and when she got no answer she got huffy. Next thing I knew, someone was leaving the house and peeling out of the driveway in the jeep.

The next morning her daughter and my dad were asking me where she was. I told them what I'd heard the night before. Turns out she had taken the dog and some bedding and spent the night out on the road somewhere to sleep. When we saw her drive up we all sat in the living room and waited. She took a shower and then came out to see us and broke down crying, wanting to know if anyone loved her.

Both of these stories are from when I was in either third or fourth grade. It's all kinda downhill from there.

I once told my dad that I hated going to school, but was terrified to come home. He rolled his eyes.

I never told my mother when I was growing up because I didn't figure it would change anything. When she found out she was murderous.

Since then, my step-mother has at least had the guts to apologize, even though it took everything in me to not laugh in her face.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next