It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Trivia, Part 4: From Hoenn with Love (over!) 

You all thought it had ended. You were wrong. Like a certain Shuckle, it is physically impossible for me to die, or in this case stop reading things on Bulbapedia and thinking "I should give prizes to people for knowing this."

For those of you just joining us, I've had three other contests. Check those out, because they'll give you a sense of what the answers to some of these questions are like, and provide helpful hints, for example to REMEMBER THAT THE BATTLE ARENA CAN CAUSE POKÉMON WITH FULL HEALTH TO FAINT. For example. I don't think that comes up this time, but because I forget what I've done and what I haven't and there's only so much trivia,* there might be some answers buried in there.

Like before, different questions are worth different points. It's important to remember that "hard" questions are not necessarily difficult, just harder to look up.
Example:
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Occasionally, when you release a Pokémon via the box system, it will return. Why?
This question is under "easy"! That means it's got a keyword that lets you find the answer quickly. Searching Bulbapedia for "release" takes you here. Scroll down a bit, and you find:
Quote:
A condition coded into the game exists that disallows the release of Pokémon knowing certain HM moves, such as Surf, to prevent the player becoming trapped in an area that requires the use of that move (like Mossdeep City, which is surrounded by water). A Pokémon might also refuse to be released if it has a very high friendship level or if it is the only Pokémon in the player's party.
And there it is!

As before, the majority of these are taken from Bulbapedia. Veekun, which takes its information directly from the games, is also a good source, but remember that all its move information only reflects the most recent generation. Some of the harder questions may be difficult to research at all.
And, of course, don't forget the games themselves! Those are always fun to play.
In your responses, consider only the main series of handheld games (RBY/GSC/RSEFRLGE/DPPTHGSS/BWB2W2/not XY because these questions were written...before they came out)

*Don't get your hopes up.

EASY (1 POINT)

1. Can you poison a Steel-type? If so, how?
  2. What building in Gen I is called the "Playground for grown-ups?"
  3. What move is (discounting the effects of Serene Grace) the only one with a chance of freezing that is greater than ten percent?
  4. What is the maximum number of coins that one can earn from Generation III's "Reel Time" mode on Slot Machines?
  5. What is the northernmost point that it is physically possible to reach in the Pokémon games?
  6. What is the only Pokémon to lose its unique type combination upon evolution?
  7. In which two cities can bicycles not be ridden?
  8. What is the only multi-hitting move that has independent accuracy checks for each hit?
  9. What is unusual about the Fuchsia City Pokémon Center Nurse?
  10. Normally, one cannot run inside buildings in Generation III. Which buildings are exceptions to this rule? ("Building" is here defined as a permanently standing area inside which one cannot Fly and which possesses doors.)
  11. Where (and how) can one battle Hex Maniac Alaina?

MEDIUM (2 POINTS)

1. What is the minimum number of battles that one must enter in order to place all three level four stickers upon their trainer card? Ignore battles with NPCs that are not members of the Elite Four or Champions, but include wild encounters.
  2. Which Pokémon family(/ies) can be caught in the greatest number of varieties of Poké Ball (e.g. Great, Ultra, Moon)?
  3. You find yourself faced by a patch of tall grass, and you really do not want to encounter wild Pokémon. What methods are available to you to either lower the odds of encountering Pokémon or eliminate them completely? Discount methods like Fly or detours; you must pass through the area of tall grass. Discount O-Powers and other non-in-universe solutions.
  4. In what system of value (e.g. Pokédollars, Battle Points) is a PP Up equivalent to two Revival Herbs, five Energy Roots, an Iron, and 200 Heal Powders?
  5. Which Route is the first--geographically and historically--to have two separate background tracks that are not triggered by cutscenes?

6. The first time you enter a route in Hoenn, you see a secret base location and investigate. Upon using Secret Power, you discover that it looks like this:
    What route are you on?

HARD (3 POINTS)
  1. Name the distinguishing feature that the following items share:
    Shoal Shell, Poké Ball, Revive, Oran Berry
  2. What Berry(ies) has (have), in Generation III, the highest possible yield?
  3. What move(s) have or can have the lowest base power? Moves with set damage (e.g. Dragon Rage, Sonicboom, Seismic Toss, Night Shade), moves that deal no damage, and status moves do not count. "Base Power" means that STAB, resistances, and item boosts/cuts do not apply.
  4. Name the message(s) (e.g., "It's Super Effective!"/"It's Not Very Effective!") that will display in Red and Blue version games under the following circumstances:
    1. Using Leech Life on a Muk
    2. Using Vine Whip on a Tentacool
    3. Using Earthquake on a Charizard
    4. Using a Dragon move on a Dragonite
  5. Name the Berry(ies) that have no flavor whatsoever.
  6. Name two moves that cannot be known by any Pokémon as a result of leveling up, visiting the Move Tutor or Move Remember...er, or through TMs and HMs. Discount learning moves through Sketch, or copying or using them through Mimic, Assist, Metronome, and so on. It must be part of a Pokémon's moveset.
  7. What three (or four, technically) Generation I moves have not been depicted in the Anime?
  8. What event or competition are the following Pokémon eligible for:
    Kakuna, Mew, Charmander, Porygon2, Silcoon, Bellossom;
    wheras the following Pokémon are not eligible?
    Magikarp, Chikorita, Porygon, Gloom, Burmy, Whirlipede
  9. You are in a double battle against Gabby and Ty. You decide, fearful of Gabby's Exploud, to make one of your 'mon continually use Protect, while using the other's action to supply Elixirs and Ethers as needed, so that it can be used as many times as you want. As Protect is designed to have a decaying success rate ever turn, what are the chances of:
    1. Using Protect successfully two times in a row
    2. Using Protect successfully five times in a row
    3. Using Protect successfully twenty-seven times in a row
    4. Using Protect successfully one hundred times in a row
    Be exact. Scientific notation is encouraged. Ignore the actions of Gabby and Ty; you can assume that they are concentrating their efforts on the Protecting 'mon and do not faint the supporter.

The first person to get all 50 points will get first place, then the next person second, and so on. If no one gets every point (likely), ranking will be in order of points with time used to break ties.
As before, you have four answer attempts and one submission. That's actually not like before, because it's one less, but it's the same principle. It's beneficial for you to try to answer all of them at once, even if you have no idea. If you don't add the question or provide an answer (other than "i don't know" or its equivalent), I won't give you a hint. And I give hints. Sometimes. Usually. Unless giving a hint would completely ruin the question. PM me your guesses, don't post them here.

The contest will run until 12:00 AM EST on March 1st (or thereabouts) or until there are three entries scoring at least twenty points, because...this board is slow. Don't wait too long, though, because SOME PEOPLE like to enter on the LAST DAY and they DON'T DO VERY WELL.

First place gets first choice of TWO Pokémon from this collection and, second place gets the next pick of one, and third place goes last and also gets one 'mon.
Note that colored Vulpix will be tradelocked by the site upon trading, but everything else is yours to do with as you see fit. Go ahead and sell them, as I'm clearly too lazy to do so. Oh, but they're all going to be named "Smartypants." Because that's what you'll be.

That's it! Have fun!

Last edited by SHPN on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:14 pm

]Medium question section:
What is unusual about the Fuchsia City Pokémon Center Nurse? Answered

Where (and how) can one battle Hex Maniac Alaina? Answered

Normally, one cannot run inside buildings in Generation III. Which buildings are exceptions to this rule? ("Building" is here defined as a permanently standing area inside which one cannot Fly and which possesses doors.) Answered.

Last edited by akurone on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Looks like we've got three new "easy" questions!

Please, do not post your responses here. PM me instead. This is an individual contest, not a group one!

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:27 pm

This quest is still goin'! There have only been two responses, so look at it this way: if you enter and get any points at all, you're guaranteed to win something!

Since I've gotten four distinct answers to the 27-Protect-uses question, that's no longer necessary for answering the question. However, if you can guess any one of those numbers, you win a nice shiny bonus point! No ballparks, though. They have to be right on the nose, so to speak. At least one of the methods is available to anyone with an internet connection (two were on a calculator and one on a computer program).

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Posting to keep track of this.
Man do I want a White Valentine Vulpix!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:05 pm

Since there were enough entries, this contest ends pretty soon! I probably won't be around at midnight tonight (~4.5 hours from now here), so if you want to sneak one in under the wire, that's...fine.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:25 pm

And thus concludes the fourth semi-annual trivia contest! Thanks for playing. Everyone who didn't enter because they didn't want to answer questions, but still want to know the answers: 1) shame on you, and 2) skip over this next part

This quiz was a whole lot easier than previous ones: almost everyone got all or most of the Easy questions, and there were quite a few Hard questions whose difficulty I overestimated! Great Bulba-fu, everyone.
Some notes on the scores:
  • Total number of winnable points was 50, as one question (on moves that could hit Ghost-types in Gen I) was removed and three were downgraded from "Medium" to "Easy"
  • If I told you an answer was correct, and later found out that it wasn't, I still gave you the points, because that's on me.
    Fortunately, that only happened a couple times.
  • Giving too much information (e.g. Soak to poison Steel-types) in addition to the correct answer was never counted against you.

Answers:
EASY (1 POINT)

1. Can you poison a Steel-type? If so, how? Twinneedle--Soak makes it so that you're not poisoning a Steel-type, technically
  2. What building in Gen I is called the "Playground for grown-ups?" The Rocket Game Corner
  3. What move is (discounting the effects of Serene Grace) the only one with a chance of freezing that is greater than ten percent? Secret Power in ice or snow
  4. What is the maximum number of coins that one can earn from Generation III's "Reel Time" mode on Slot Machines? 660
  5. What is the northernmost point that it is physically possible to reach in the Pokémon games? The entrance tile to Snowpoint Temple, which narrowly beats out the tip of Flower Paradise
  6. What is the only Pokémon to lose its unique type combination upon evolution? Surskit
  7. In which two cities can bicycles not be ridden? Snowpoint and Pacifidlog
  8. What is the only multi-hitting move that has independent accuracy checks for each hit? Triple Kick
  9. What is unusual about the Fuchsia City Pokémon Center Nurse? Green Hair!
  10. Normally, one cannot run inside buildings in Generation III. Which buildings are exceptions to this rule? ("Building" is here defined as a permanently standing area inside which one cannot Fly and which possesses doors.) The Trainer Tower/Hill [counted as one building since lbr they're the same thing], Sky Pillar. The part of the Underground Path in which you can run has stairs, not doors.
  11. Where (and how) can one battle Hex Maniac Alaina? She's on the first floor of the Trainer Tower in Emerald. You can use an E-Card, but she's also just...standing there normally. Whoops.

MEDIUM (2 POINTS)

1. What is the minimum number of battles that one must enter in order to place all three level four stickers upon their trainer card? Ignore battles with NPCs that are not members of the Elite Four or Champions, but include wild encounters. Elite Four/Blue x 250 = 1000, plus 100 link battles, plus two battles to find a breeding partner and something to keep in your party while they get freaky = 1102.
  2. Which Pokémon family(/ies) can be caught in the greatest number of varieties of Poké Ball (e.g. Great, Ultra, Moon)? Paras
  3. You find yourself faced by a patch of tall grass, and you really do not want to encounter wild Pokémon. What methods are available to you to either lower the odds of encountering Pokémon or eliminate them completely? Discount methods like Fly or detours; you must pass through the area of tall grass. Discount O-Powers and other non-in-universe solutions. All sorts of stuff: Abilities like Intimidate, Pressure, Vital Spirit, and Sand Veil; Items like Repels and Black Flutes; and (most importantly) CUTTING THE DAMN GRASS DOWN
  4. In what system of value (e.g. Pokédollars, Battle Points) is a PP Up equivalent to two Revival Herbs, five Energy Roots, an Iron, and 200 Heal Powders? Berry Powder, the single most useless link feature ever introduced
  5. Which Route is the first--geographically and historically--to have two separate background tracks that are not triggered by cutscenes? Route 118, for both sides of its river
  6. The first time you enter a route in Hoenn, you see a secret base location and investigate. Upon using Secret Power, you discover that it looks like this:
    What route are you on? route 120

HARD (3 POINTS)
  1. Name the distinguishing feature that the following items share:
    Shoal Shell, Poké Ball, Revive, Oran Berry They're considered "round" by the lady in the Lilycove Pokémon Center
  2. What Berry(ies) has (have), in Generation III, the highest possible yield? Strib, Topo
  3. What move(s) have or can have the lowest base power? Moves with set damage (e.g. Dragon Rage, Sonicboom, Seismic Toss, Night Shade), moves that deal no damage, and status moves do not count. "Base Power" means that STAB, resistances, and item boosts/cuts do not apply. So it turns out a lot of moves can have 1 BP: Crush Grip, Return, Frustration, Eruption, Water Spout, Psywave, Gyro Ball, Wring Out, and (strangely) Counter and Mirror Coat! Props to mitsu for thinking of 90% of those; I'd give her a bonus point, but it'd be kind of...pointless
  4. Name the message(s) (e.g., "It's Super Effective!"/"It's Not Very Effective!") that will display in Red and Blue version games under the following circumstances:
    1. Using Leech Life on a Muk Super, since Bug was Super-Effective on Poison in Gen I
    2. Using Vine Whip on a Tentacool Not, owing to the order that type relations were programmed in
    3. Using Earthquake on a Charizard Missed, owing to the double-type Pokémon glitch
    4. Using a Dragon move on a Dragonite None, since Dragon Rage does set damage!

5. Name the Berry(ies) that have no flavor whatsoever. Nutpea and Kuo both have 0 flavor points (for comparison, Oran has 10 in each flavor)
  6. Name two moves that cannot be known by any Pokémon as a result of leveling up, visiting the Move Tutor or Move Remember...er, or through TMs and HMs. Discount learning moves through Sketch, or copying or using them through Mimic, Assist, Metronome, and so on. It must be part of a Pokémon's moveset. Volt Tackle, V-Create, Happy Hour, Hold Back, Celebrate
  7. What three (or four, technically) Generation I moves have not been depicted in the Anime? Barrage, Leech Life, Kinesis, and Struggle
  8. What event or competition are the following Pokémon eligible for:
    Kakuna, Mew, Charmander, Porygon2, Silcoon, Bellossom;
    wheras the following Pokémon are not eligible?
    Magikarp, Chikorita, Porygon, Gloom, Burmy, Whirlipede
    Pokémon Jump, a wireless game from Gen III
  9. You are in a double battle against Gabby and Ty. You decide, fearful of Gabby's Exploud, to make one of your 'mon continually use Protect, while using the other's action to supply Elixirs and Ethers as needed, so that it can be used as many times as you want. As Protect is designed to have a decaying success rate ever turn, what are the chances of:
    1. Using Protect successfully two times in a row Roughly .5
    2. Using Protect successfully five times in a row Roughly .000028
    3. Using Protect successfully twenty-seven times in a row ??? i did this four times and got four differnt answers. Being in the general ballpark was enough for this one. It's between 1.3E-43 and 1.2E-53, and that's the best I can do for you
    4. Using Protect successfully one hundred times in a row 0. Literally zero. Not close to zero. Zero.
    Be exact. Scientific notation is encouraged. Ignore the actions of Gabby and Ty; you can assume that they are concentrating their efforts on the Protecting 'mon and do not faint the supporter.

Winners!:
In third place, with a respectable 19 points, nonight!
In second, with an impressive 27 points, crystalsnow25!
And with a bone-shattering full 50 points, VDex user Yoshimitsu!!

How wonderful. mitsu, let me know what prizes you want!

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:34 pm

(^□^*)

Yay! Thanks for holding this quest, Ship!

May I have http://vdexproject.net/poke.php?id=1736728 and http://vdexproject.net/poke.php?id=889596, please? :>

pm for contact details.

pure/a few dp items/events/natures for natures i'm missing

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:19 pm

If you're willing to let me auction it, I'll take the Shadow Raikou. (The money would go towards Eeveelution breeding/future giveaway) otherwise, I'd be happy with the yellow or green Vday Vulpix! :) Thank you so much for the quest/giveaway!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Oh, by all means go ahead.

...and that leaves nonight!

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Location: Australia, Australasia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe
Sorry I took so long (I wasn't online yesterday) o.o May I please have the red valentine's vulpix?

Thanks so much for this quest!

ImageImageImageImage
Tumblr ✻ DevArt ✻ Twitter ✻ GA of D

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]