It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Competitive Comparisons- Infernape vs Blaziken 

Welcome to Competitive Comparisons.

Here the vdex community may show their knowledge of pokemon by comparing set pairings backed by facts and opinions.

I will post a set or even a trio of pokemon, and those who enter will post their personal views on which they prefer.

* When compariing, be sure to include appearance, competitive battling, anime appearances, ect.
* You are free to make more than one post.
* You don't necessarily have to pick one.
* Each pairing will have one week for posts before a winner is announced (subject to change.)
* To prove that you've read these and to be eligible for prizes, please have my profile message in your post. (subject to change.)

For each pairing, i will offer the the person with the most persuasive arguement/statement a prize. I will have 3 prizes up for their choice.

Current Pokemon Pairing:
Image vs. Image

Past pokemon:
1. Alakazam Vs. Gengar
Winner: Azuvala Assantri
Spoiler: show
Gengar
+ Gengar is purple. Purple is the color of royalty, and his dark appearance makes him much less noticible in the dark of the night and in hidden corners he's likely to lurk about.
+ Gengar is the first Ghost-type, which was characterized by the fact many moves wouldn't even TOUCH him. This was in the first generation. If you managed to go up the tower in Lavender Town without being creeped out by the ghosts there, I applaud you. But it doesn't change how utterly awesome this guy's type is.
+ It eats life force. Literally life force from people and pokemon. This isn't blood or even energy- this is everything that keeps you working and living, it's a spiritual quantity that doesn't just come back. Damage this guy does is permenant.
+ Gengar was one of the first to be able to use Curse- an unhealable status condition in the early games. Also cool is the fact that it was the only ????-type move.
+ They can actually merge with shadows and hide in them. Can you imagine how creepy it would be for that to happen? The air around them is a few degrees colder, too...this is the one that gives you the willies.
+ Occasionally it floats in the air, just grinning like a loon- just like the Chesire Cat.
+ It wields negative energy as it's attacks. Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Night Shade...they're very likely feelings of horror, pain, anxiety- all the sorts of feelings that Gengar revels in. And that he'll torture you with as he eats your dreams.
+ Gengar can actually become completely insubstantial and go through objects. How cool is that.
+ One of the fastest Ghost-type pokemon in existence! He has to be quick to dash across as your shadow in streetlights.
+ Has a higher base stat total of 500, compared to Alakazam's 490.
- Gengar is part Poison-type, but he can't actually learn any poison-type moves through leveling. Come on now.
- His name origin is uncertain, possible derived from doppleganger, but it isn't certain.
- He's kind of like Crobat. Never knows how to shut his darn mouth.
- Gengar actually helps Ash beat Sabrina's Alakazam. Why, I will NEVER understand.
-In Pokemon Blue Rescue Team, Gengar is the one that makes everyone hate your very existence, the name of his team is "Team Meanies" (pfft, really?) and he's a coward that abandons his allies in favor of his own well-being.

Alakazam
+ Alakazam has an astoundingly amazing moustache, making him a very manly pokemon indeed. Just imagine him stroking those beautiful long 'staches if he were intrigued.
+ Memorizing everything and anything is this pokemon's strength. If you gave him a book to read, he could spit it out to you verbatum. Now imagine giving him the internet. He would probably be able to answer any and every problem in the world. Probably even world hunger, if people would stop putting him in pokeballs and making him fight silly trainers with their eyes on money and glory. That isn't even the cool part. Alakazam actually has the intelligence to USE the information he memorizes, unlike a computer or a storage device.
+ In the anime, Sabrina's psychics whipped Ash GOOD. Everyone was horrified of her gym- and that when one of her highest was a Kadabra. Now imagine that times another evolution level. Pokemon is all about hax, but Alakazam is hax of all hax.
+ Alakazam knows everything that is psychic- to put this in perspective, we're talking hypnosis, telekinesis, levitating, teleporting long distances...even mind control.
+ An IQ of 200 is considered "unmeasurable genius". Alakazam has an IQ of 5000. We LITERALLY can not comprehend just how creatively, scientifically, and precicely this pokemon thinks.
+ His name comes from the spell "Abra, Kadabra, ALAKAZAM!" He's the last part of the spell, the part where the trick actually happens. The part that utterly blows your mind. Well that means he's just as mind blowing.
+ This guy makes blunt kitchen cutlery look threatening.
+ Alakazam's pre-evolution has won a lawsuit in real life, it's that cool. A magician named Uri Geller tried to sue Nintendo over the fact they were parroting his claims to bend spoons without touching them and that Kadabra has symbols similar to Nazi symbols on it. He tried to sue for $100 million. And lost. Alakzam even has cool real-life history!
+ Alakzam can learn elemental moves, making him a very versatile choice to combat type-disadvantages. He also has ridiculously high Special Attack that makes him useful in general, being a non-legendary pokemon that wouldn't be banned in tournaments. There are only three non-legendary pokemon that have higher base Special Attack.
+ In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team, Alakzam saves your life, guides you to find your meaning in life, and he's one of the only people who respects you when everyone else has turned away. He serves as an inspiration for what a great leader is and what they do.
- His body is actually entirely deteriorated. His muscles are practically dead- he has to use psychic energy and power to move anywhere. That's probably the reason his body is shades of yellow and brown.
- The brain cells in its mind multiply constantly, unlike humans that have a set number that gradually degrades. Which is great for learning and brain activity...except that its brain actually gets too big for its head...and...it...dies from it.

Winner for Azu: Alakazam, by a landslide.
You just happened to pick my literal most favorite pokemon in the universe.

Past pokemon:
1. Houndour Vs. Growlithe
Winner: ryousuke
ryousuke wrote:
| (• ◡•) | ノ\(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
As a somewhat fire pokemon connoisseur, I shall try to judge this from an unbiased point of view.

HOUNDOUR
    "Houndour, the Dark Pokémon. Houndour travel in packs and communicate though barks in order to surround their prey."

It looks like a hell-hound, which could account for intimidation techniques. Satanical puppy wins here.
    Dual-Type with Dark.
    Early Bird or Flash Fire. Both puppies can get both Flash Fire, so it's really a contest of Early Bird vs Intimidate (as Houndour vs Growlithe). Intimidate cuts the opponents attack vs waking up faster. Depending on the moveset of the opponent, Early Bird would have a distinct advantage when faced against sleep-inducing moves. Intimidate would work well against pokemon with physical attacks, however given that Growlithe has a poor defense as it is, it might not take too much for a bulking up type move to get over being intimidated. I'd say a draw on this front.
    Is a better special attacker than Growlithe is. Given proper EV training and natures, Houndour comes out on top with 284 vs Growlithe's 266.
    Evolves at Level 24.
    To gain more firepower, a Life Orb would be an ideal item for Houndour. (Life Orbs aren't difficult to find, as they are items picked up from the ground and also can be gained from the battle tower.)
    Typical Move Set:
      Sucker Punch (STAB, Great Priority Move, 80/100%)
      Crunch (STAB, 80/100% + chance of lowering defense)
      Fire Blast (120, 85%, good for taking down physical walls)
      Substitute/Protect which will help prolong the battle whilst waiting for the right chance to use Sucker Punch.
    Okay. No. Seriusly. Sucker Punch. When faced against harder hitting psychic types like Gengar and Alakazam, Sucker Punch can own them, no sweat, naturally depending on if they use an attacking move of course.
    Super duper frail D:
    Difficult to counter any of Houndour's moves, so easier to just sacrifice the pokemon and try to revenge kill it.
    Wild and travels in packs. Wouldn't recommend if you have children.
    HOUR OF THE HOUNDOUR shows that Houndour packs are loyal to one another and will always look after their own.
    Was a villain against the Pichu Brothers.
    Cassidy (from Team Rocket) owns a Houndour.
    Harder to find a Houndour in the wild.
    Weak to: Fighting, Ground, Rock, Water (+1 weakness due to dual type)
    Resistant to: Ghost, Steel, Fire, Grass, Ice, Dark
    3k Base Pokemon, so if breeding a Special Natured Houndour it'll cost 105k to retrieve the darned thing out. D:
    50/50 Gender Ratio.
    Shiny Houndour is BLUE, purdyyyy.

GROWLITHE
    "Growlithe, a Puppy Pokémon of pleasant demeanor and great diligence. It drives enemies away with barks and bites."

Aww would you look at the cutie puppy-- Owwww. Looks can be deceiving so your opponent could underestimate you.
    Single Fire-Type.
    Intimidate or Flash Fire hidden ability.
    Professor Jenny's go to pokemon! So upholders of justice!
    Has a better set of defenses than that of Houndour: that is, Growlithe has more HP and def. Although sp. def. remains about the same for both pokemon.
    Difficult to use as a wall since fire-types aren't notorious for that. Is unfortunately outclassed by other fire pokemon in regards to ph. attack and sp. attack (in this case, Houndour).
    Requires Fire Stone to evolve.
    Expanding upon the hidden ability thing from above, Intimidate and Will O Wisp can be used to great effect which will greatly cripple any physical attackers (woo attack dropping!).
    Seriously lacking a decent move-pool to go with the Intimidate Ability.
    Typical Move Set:
      Morning Sun (for continual HP regen)
      Will O Wisp (for reasons above, and yay for causing burns, way to go fire pokemon!)
      Flare Blitz (120 Base Power, 100% accuracy. One of the best Fire physical attacks in game.)
      Wild Charge (90 Baes Power, 100% Accuracy. One of the best Electric physical attacks in game.). The recoil damage does not matter too much when Morning Sun is in effect.
    Sunny Day is a move that could be used to increase the HP recovery, and ward against any sand teams, but will suffer at the hands of Earthquake. It is relatively weak and any team with a decent water-type will be able to nom on growlithe :c
    Make great loyal pets!
    Growlithes...Growlithes EVERYWHERE, so catching your own won't be difficult.
    Was in Pokemon Snap!
    Weak to: Ground, Rock Water (1 Less than Houndour!)
    Resistant to: Bug, Steel, Fire, Grass, Ice (1 Less than Houndour...)
    100 Base Pokemon ^^
    Male skewed (75%/25%) so it is desirable if breeding Special Natures
    Shiny Growlithe is Yellow.... not so purdy.

Verdict: Houndour for me, in regards to using it in a game as a special attacker. There are better defensive tankers so Growlithe is outclassed. And it involves into Houndoom which is a classy demonic doggie (even though Arcanine is pretty too!)
    (Crying, I will one day own every Rocket Nature on a Gen 2 Houndours... ONE DAY. ;n;)

Current Prizes:
TBA after the current winner chooses their prize
Image Image Image

Last edited by mizumanta on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:41 am
Profile WWW

Gengar all the way! It can learn hypnosis, dream eater, confuse ray, and has levitate. Even gastly is cool. Abra can only learn teleport and alakazam has super weak defense. (Gengar does too but...no earthquake damage)as a pokemon, I like alakazam better. It looks like a jackal and can levitate in the anime. The teleport thing is pretty cool and in real life, I would love it! As a battler though, the gengar in the game is a tougher opponent.

"Tell Gumball you think he's hot. GUYS LIKE TO HEAR THAT THEY'RE HAWT!"

I will punish you in the name of the Moon! Nature

Last edited by Mizuyuki on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:53 pm

I love this. I'll probably be popping into this quest a lot. c:
I dislike the anime and its superfiliousness to add to a logical argument between two pokemon. :< It has proven to be quite contridictory. Therefore my arguments will only minimally include anime-faulty- logic.

Gengar
    + Gengar is purple. Purple is the color of royalty, and his dark appearance makes him much less noticible in the dark of the night and in hidden corners he's likely to lurk about.
    + Gengar is the first Ghost-type, which was characterized by the fact many moves wouldn't even TOUCH him. This was in the first generation. If you managed to go up the tower in Lavender Town without being creeped out by the ghosts there, I applaud you. But it doesn't change how utterly awesome this guy's type is.
    + It eats life force. Literally life force from people and pokemon. This isn't blood or even energy- this is everything that keeps you working and living, it's a spiritual quantity that doesn't just come back. Damage this guy does is permenant.
    + Gengar was one of the first to be able to use Curse- an unhealable status condition in the early games. Also cool is the fact that it was the only ????-type move.
    + They can actually merge with shadows and hide in them. Can you imagine how creepy it would be for that to happen? The air around them is a few degrees colder, too...this is the one that gives you the willies.
    + Occasionally it floats in the air, just grinning like a loon- just like the Chesire Cat.
    + It wields negative energy as it's attacks. Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Night Shade...they're very likely feelings of horror, pain, anxiety- all the sorts of feelings that Gengar revels in. And that he'll torture you with as he eats your dreams.
    + Gengar can actually become completely insubstantial and go through objects. How cool is that.
    + One of the fastest Ghost-type pokemon in existence! He has to be quick to dash across as your shadow in streetlights.
    + Has a higher base stat total of 500, compared to Alakazam's 490.
    - Gengar is part Poison-type, but he can't actually learn any poison-type moves through leveling. Come on now.
    - His name origin is uncertain, possible derived from doppleganger, but it isn't certain.
    - He's kind of like Crobat. Never knows how to shut his darn mouth.
    - Gengar actually helps Ash beat Sabrina's Alakazam. Why, I will NEVER understand.
    -In Pokemon Blue Rescue Team, Gengar is the one that makes everyone hate your very existence, the name of his team is "Team Meanies" (pfft, really?) and he's a coward that abandons his allies in favor of his own well-being.

Alakazam
    + Alakazam has an astoundingly amazing moustache, making him a very manly pokemon indeed. Just imagine him stroking those beautiful long 'staches if he were intrigued.
    + Memorizing everything and anything is this pokemon's strength. If you gave him a book to read, he could spit it out to you verbatum. Now imagine giving him the internet. He would probably be able to answer any and every problem in the world. Probably even world hunger, if people would stop putting him in pokeballs and making him fight silly trainers with their eyes on money and glory. That isn't even the cool part. Alakazam actually has the intelligence to USE the information he memorizes, unlike a computer or a storage device.
    + In the anime, Sabrina's psychics whipped Ash GOOD. Everyone was horrified of her gym- and that when one of her highest was a Kadabra. Now imagine that times another evolution level. Pokemon is all about hax, but Alakazam is hax of all hax.
    + Alakazam knows everything that is psychic- to put this in perspective, we're talking hypnosis, telekinesis, levitating, teleporting long distances...even mind control.
    + An IQ of 200 is considered "unmeasurable genius". Alakazam has an IQ of 5000. We LITERALLY can not comprehend just how creatively, scientifically, and precicely this pokemon thinks.
    + His name comes from the spell "Abra, Kadabra, ALAKAZAM!" He's the last part of the spell, the part where the trick actually happens. The part that utterly blows your mind. Well that means he's just as mind blowing.
    + This guy makes blunt kitchen cutlery look threatening.
    + Alakazam's pre-evolution has won a lawsuit in real life, it's that cool. A magician named Uri Geller tried to sue Nintendo over the fact they were parroting his claims to bend spoons without touching them and that Kadabra has symbols similar to Nazi symbols on it. He tried to sue for $100 million. And lost. Alakzam even has cool real-life history!
    + Alakzam can learn elemental moves, making him a very versatile choice to combat type-disadvantages. He also has ridiculously high Special Attack that makes him useful in general, being a non-legendary pokemon that wouldn't be banned in tournaments. There are only three non-legendary pokemon that have higher base Special Attack.
    + In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team, Alakzam saves your life, guides you to find your meaning in life, and he's one of the only people who respects you when everyone else has turned away. He serves as an inspiration for what a great leader is and what they do.
    - His body is actually entirely deteriorated. His muscles are practically dead- he has to use psychic energy and power to move anywhere. That's probably the reason his body is shades of yellow and brown.
    - The brain cells in its mind multiply constantly, unlike humans that have a set number that gradually degrades. Which is great for learning and brain activity...except that its brain actually gets too big for its head...and...it...dies from it.

Winner for Azu: Alakazam, by a landslide.
You just happened to pick my literal most favorite pokemon in the universe.

I hope this is what you mean by profile message.

Image Image Image Image

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:35 pm

I feel that Gengar is better over all in most catagories. In looks Gengar wins because Alakazam has a mustash, little armor plates, and some spoons, while Gengar has dark shades if colors which make him look like a shadow and glowing red eyes. In the skills Gengar has levitate, so Gengar is totally immune to ground attacks, but all Alakazam can do is teleport away from a fight. In type, Alakazam has a couple weaknesses, on the other hand Gengar is only weak against dark and ghost types.
For me the winner is Gengar.

Check the app Rage of Bahumut with this code to get free stuff! ggb39526

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Oooh, let me try my hand at this c:

Alakazam
      Pros:
      - Can teleport whenever and wherever it wants
      - Can remember EVERYTHING with ease
      - Has a mind of a supercomputer, sporting an IQ of a whopping 5000 (I only have 131, and that's already rare orz)
      - Having mastered most, if not all, psychic abilities, he can levitate, read minds and mind control
      - With its special ability, Synchronize, it can be pretty useful in competitive battling
      - Likewise, its hidden ability, Magic Guard, allows it to negate damage that are not from attacks, with a few exceptions
      - In the first arc of the anime (the Kanto arc), a gigantic prehistoric Alakazam made an appearance together with a gigantic prehistoric Gengar [see here]
      - In the first Mystery Dungeon games, Alakazam was one of the main supporting characters, belonging in a Gold Rank team, named Team ACT in the special episode
      - His high Speed stat makes him a good revenge killer in competitive battling
      - He has one heckuva classy moustache ;D

Cons:
      - Although he's mentally strong, Alakazam is physically weak. His muscles are practically useless and he relies only on his psychic abilities for motor movement.
      - He's as wobbly as gelatin. His HP, Attack and Defense stats are uber low
      - His Japanese name sounds silly (Foodin) ._.
      - Spoons? Really?

Gengar
      Pros:
      - Classified as the Shadow Pokemon, Gengar has a pretty interesting background. It is said to be the shadow of a Clefable.
      - Its diet consists of a thing's life force... oookaaay
      - Although it is mischievous by nature, a Gengar can be the most loyal Pokemon you can have. Awwww~ <3
      - It is one of the first Pokemon to appear on the series AND the game
      - Its English name was supposed to be "Phantom"
      - Levitate, its special ability, negates Ground-attacks, which makes it impervious to one of his weaknesses
      - It can meld into shadows, which is like teleporting, only darker and cooler
      - Its shiny color makes it darker looking, which actually makes sense
      - Gengar sports a wide array of good offensive moves, making it a good sweeper for competitive battling
      - He has one of the fastest Speed stat among Ghost-types
      - Gengar is short for the word doppelganger. This supports its rumored origin of being the shadow of a Clefable

Cons:
      - Like Alakazam, Gengar has low HP, Attack and Defense stats. The only difference is that Gengar's is slightly higher than Alakazam's
      - His weakness to Dark-type moves make him a target for Pursuit users (competitive battling)
      - You can easily tell if a Gengar is around by paying attention to the air temperature. If one is lurking in the shadows, then the temperature drops.
      - Levitate can be easily negated with the use of certain items and moves
      - Likewise, when the opponent uses Odor Sleuth or is a Scrappy, then it can easily be hit by Fighting and Normal attacks
      - He is one of the few game villains that have irritated me so much as a kid (Mystery Dungeon)

The verdict: It's a draw!

They both have their ups and downs. I just can't get myself to pick between the two. I like Alakazam for his intense psychic abilities and Gengar for his awesome ghostly tricks. Their both poor when it comes to physical strength but immensely strong in Special Attack and Defense. Alakazam has a cool moustache while Gengar is a walking shadow. In battle, they're weak against each other, so it's anyone's game. I therefore conclude that both of them wins this.

Oh right, "Tell Gumball you think he's hot. GUYS LIKE TO HEAR THAT THEY'RE HAWT!"

I'll smile as I'm gazing down
'Cos I've always wondered why
We won't need feathers to fly

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:02 am

Urania46 wrote:
I feel that Gengar is better over all in most catagories. In looks Gengar wins because Alakazam has a mustash, little armor plates, and some spoons, while Gengar has dark shades if colors which make him look like a shadow and glowing red eyes. In the skills Gengar has levitate, so Gengar is totally immune to ground attacks, but all Alakazam can do is teleport away from a fight. In type, Alakazam has a couple weaknesses, on the other hand Gengar is only weak against dark and ghost types.
For me the winner is Gengar.

lol you're missing psychic type as a weakness for gengar, making alakazam a treat. >_>

Oh and added the message :yay:

I will punish you in the name of the Moon! Nature

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Azuvala Assantri, i really enjoy your response and reasoning so You are free to choose 1 prize^^

I will be setting up another match up soon =3

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 am
Profile WWW

Thank you very much! May I have that darling little Castform? <3

Image Image Image Image

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:35 pm

sure^^ feel free to send over a trade whenever^^

Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 am
Profile WWW

Houndour
+ It looks awesome and cool and has an even cooler-looking evolution. (It's a freaking demon dog/hellhound! That's epic!)
+ They're smart and work together in packs.
+ It evolves by level, rather than a special method such as an evolution stone.
+ It can learn poison-inducing moves, as well as Solarbeam to deal with those pesky Water-types.
+/- Dual-type: More weaknesses, but more strengths and a larger movepool
- Difficult to obtain
- Not exactly friendly - and if you get burned by a Houndoom, the pain never goes away.

Growlithe
+ Friendly and loyal
+ Great at tracking - they never forget a scent!
+ Cute, and it's evolution is cool...but Houndour's line is cooler.
+/- Single-type: Smaller movepool, but fewer weaknesses than a dual-type
- Somewhat difficult to obtain, but not nearly as much as Houndour
- You have to have a Fire Stone to evolve it

Verdict: It's close...but Houndour is the winner!

Image Image
Image Image Image

Sat May 11, 2013 4:51 pm

I've used Houndoom in Black and am currently using Arcanine in White 2, so I'll try to offer some insight from my experience.

Houndour
+ Houndoom is one of my favorite fire-types.
+ Houndour reminds me of a miniature pinscher. The only dog in real life that I'm not afraid of is my uncle's min-pin.
+ It evolves reasonably early.
+ It's immune to psychic-type attacks, and has six resistances.
+ Back when religious fanatics were obsessed with trying to prove that Pokemon were evil demons that were corrupting the children, the anime used Houndoom, the scary hellhound, to prove them wrong, by depicting it as a big ol' softie that protected and aided a lost Togepi.
+ Most of its stats are either decent or very good...
- ...Except physical defense.
- Despite having better special attack than physical, it learns few special moves naturally, and many of the ones it does learn are on the weak side.
- In most games you find it in, it can only be caught after the credits, by which time you probably already have an established team.
- The majority of moves it learns are dark, fire, or normal, so it doesn't exactly have great type coverage.
- It's weak to fighting and ground, which are two of the more common and powerful types.
- Two of its abilities, Early Bird and Unnerve, are only useful in some very specific situations. Its third ability is Flash Fire, but that's not very helpful when few people are stupid enough to use a fire attack on a fire-type.

Growlithe
+ It can be found in most games, and usually not that far into the game, so you have plenty of time to use one and train it well.
+ Growlithe and Arcanine have better base stat totals than Houndour and Houndoom.
+ It has good physical and special attack.
+ It gets some devastatingly powerful moves, such as Close Combat, Outrage, and Flare Blitz.
+ Intimidate and Justified are both great abilities.
+ Gary MF Oak has an Arcanine.
+ Arcanine is partially based on the haetae, which is a woefully underrated creature from Chinese and Korean mythology. The haetae is a symbol of law and justice, which may be why it has Justified as a Dream World ability.
- Growlithe evolves via stone, and like most stone evolutions, Arcanine can't learn many moves naturally. If you want a good moveset without the use of TMs and tutors, you'll have to go a long time without evolving your Growlithe.
- They don't look nearly as cool as Houndour and Houndoom.

So even though I prefer Houndour and Houndoom aesthetically, I have to pick Growlithe here, because it has fewer things against it.

Tumblr

Sun May 19, 2013 5:24 pm
Profile WWW

Cool explanations, guys^^

We do need a few more opinions though =3

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:04 pm
Profile WWW

It looks like a jackal and can levitate in the anime. The teleport thing is pretty cool and in real life, I would love it! As a battler though, the gengar in the game is a tougher opponent.

Decrease your exam stress by using our latest pass 4 sure and best quality COMPTIA and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) . We provide with 100% pass guarantee along with wikipedia and selftestengine.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:29 am

bumping this up

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:24 pm
Profile WWW

bumpers

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:29 pm
Profile WWW

| (• ◡•) | ノ\(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
As a somewhat fire pokemon connoisseur, I shall try to judge this from an unbiased point of view.

HOUNDOUR
    "Houndour, the Dark Pokémon. Houndour travel in packs and communicate though barks in order to surround their prey."

It looks like a hell-hound, which could account for intimidation techniques. Satanical puppy wins here.
    Dual-Type with Dark.
    Early Bird or Flash Fire. Both puppies can get both Flash Fire, so it's really a contest of Early Bird vs Intimidate (as Houndour vs Growlithe). Intimidate cuts the opponents attack vs waking up faster. Depending on the moveset of the opponent, Early Bird would have a distinct advantage when faced against sleep-inducing moves. Intimidate would work well against pokemon with physical attacks, however given that Growlithe has a poor defense as it is, it might not take too much for a bulking up type move to get over being intimidated. I'd say a draw on this front.
    Is a better special attacker than Growlithe is. Given proper EV training and natures, Houndour comes out on top with 284 vs Growlithe's 266.
    Evolves at Level 24.
    To gain more firepower, a Life Orb would be an ideal item for Houndour. (Life Orbs aren't difficult to find, as they are items picked up from the ground and also can be gained from the battle tower.)
    Typical Move Set:
      Sucker Punch (STAB, Great Priority Move, 80/100%)
      Crunch (STAB, 80/100% + chance of lowering defense)
      Fire Blast (120, 85%, good for taking down physical walls)
      Substitute/Protect which will help prolong the battle whilst waiting for the right chance to use Sucker Punch.
    Okay. No. Seriusly. Sucker Punch. When faced against harder hitting psychic types like Gengar and Alakazam, Sucker Punch can own them, no sweat, naturally depending on if they use an attacking move of course.
    Super duper frail D:
    Difficult to counter any of Houndour's moves, so easier to just sacrifice the pokemon and try to revenge kill it.
    Wild and travels in packs. Wouldn't recommend if you have children.
    HOUR OF THE HOUNDOUR shows that Houndour packs are loyal to one another and will always look after their own.
    Was a villain against the Pichu Brothers.
    Cassidy (from Team Rocket) owns a Houndour.
    Harder to find a Houndour in the wild.
    Weak to: Fighting, Ground, Rock, Water (+1 weakness due to dual type)
    Resistant to: Ghost, Steel, Fire, Grass, Ice, Dark
    3k Base Pokemon, so if breeding a Special Natured Houndour it'll cost 105k to retrieve the darned thing out. D:
    50/50 Gender Ratio.
    Shiny Houndour is BLUE, purdyyyy.

GROWLITHE
    "Growlithe, a Puppy Pokémon of pleasant demeanor and great diligence. It drives enemies away with barks and bites."

Aww would you look at the cutie puppy-- Owwww. Looks can be deceiving so your opponent could underestimate you.
    Single Fire-Type.
    Intimidate or Flash Fire hidden ability.
    Professor Jenny's go to pokemon! So upholders of justice!
    Has a better set of defenses than that of Houndour: that is, Growlithe has more HP and def. Although sp. def. remains about the same for both pokemon.
    Difficult to use as a wall since fire-types aren't notorious for that. Is unfortunately outclassed by other fire pokemon in regards to ph. attack and sp. attack (in this case, Houndour).
    Requires Fire Stone to evolve.
    Expanding upon the hidden ability thing from above, Intimidate and Will O Wisp can be used to great effect which will greatly cripple any physical attackers (woo attack dropping!).
    Seriously lacking a decent move-pool to go with the Intimidate Ability.
    Typical Move Set:
      Morning Sun (for continual HP regen)
      Will O Wisp (for reasons above, and yay for causing burns, way to go fire pokemon!)
      Flare Blitz (120 Base Power, 100% accuracy. One of the best Fire physical attacks in game.)
      Wild Charge (90 Baes Power, 100% Accuracy. One of the best Electric physical attacks in game.). The recoil damage does not matter too much when Morning Sun is in effect.
    Sunny Day is a move that could be used to increase the HP recovery, and ward against any sand teams, but will suffer at the hands of Earthquake. It is relatively weak and any team with a decent water-type will be able to nom on growlithe :c
    Make great loyal pets!
    Growlithes...Growlithes EVERYWHERE, so catching your own won't be difficult.
    Was in Pokemon Snap!
    Weak to: Ground, Rock Water (1 Less than Houndour!)
    Resistant to: Bug, Steel, Fire, Grass, Ice (1 Less than Houndour...)
    100 Base Pokemon ^^
    Male skewed (75%/25%) so it is desirable if breeding Special Natures
    Shiny Growlithe is Yellow.... not so purdy.

Verdict: Houndour for me, in regards to using it in a game as a special attacker. There are better defensive tankers so Growlithe is outclassed. And it involves into Houndoom which is a classy demonic doggie (even though Arcanine is pretty too!)
    (Crying, I will one day own every Rocket Nature on a Gen 2 Houndours... ONE DAY. ;n;)

✁- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pure Happiness (✿◠‿◠)
      Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage

✁- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:23 pm
Profile WWW

Love the detail^^!

I'm a little surprised that outrage didn't get a big mention (since fans are going crazy over growlithe's new move.)

Will conclude judging sometime this week. In the meantime, additional entries will be accepted.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:56 pm
Profile WWW

and the winner is ryousuke^^

Please choose a prize when you get a chance =3

New pair coming up =3

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:29 pm
Profile WWW

Huzzah! Thank you for making this quest!

May I have your Machine Part? ouo/

✁- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pure Happiness (✿◠‿◠)
      Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage

✁- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:32 pm
Profile WWW

of course^^

would you mind sending a trade? I shall find a few more items to include in the mix

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next