It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
A Study in Boredom {CLOSED} 

^^ Veregna if you like we don't mind if you go ahead and post how you solved "The Chase" and "The Game" since I know people are burning with desire to know how and what. That and I won't have formal answers for at least another day :3

I can now, though, let you all know that most teams got to about halfway with "The Chase" but unfortunately no other team found "The Maze", as I 'affectionately' call it, and that Lily and Pocha came very, very close to solving "The Game" but over thought the final step.

So yeah, go ahead and share answers if you like guys :D

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:18 pm

That was so much fun :D Thank you to the hosts and congrats to the winners!

I answer to Kit, Kitty, Cam, Cammy, Stealth, Stealthy, Sir, Ma'am, they, human, and Hey You!
dA || Twitter || Aywas || Tumblr
MI Time: 11:10 PM T-W-Th

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW

YAAAAAAY congrats, veregna & chinomi, and pokemainia & Shiyo!!! <333 Good game. :D

And thank you SO MUCH to ryou, Verae, and Nat for this amazing amazing amazing frustrating quest! Pocha and I had so much fun spazzing over it. |D

And a good game to everyone else who participated!

Verae wrote:
Lily and Pocha came very, very close to solving "The Game" but over thought the final step.

HAHAHA you've no idea. OTL
We noticed the coloured letters but for the heck of us couldn't figure out how they contributed as a hint. T_T At the end, after I knew that Bottle 2 was the correct answer, I was making weird stuff up like since o is the third letter, w is the first letter, t is the fourth letter, maybe that means the next in the pattern is 'second', so two! /failsohard
it would be hilarious if that was the actual answer though

And then for The Chase... did the answer lead anyone else to the Yu-Gi-Oh thread? Or did we do something wrong there?

/dying to know answers. DYING.
aka veregna spill the answers nao plz :c

»»» buying ιηғιηιτεℓч ღ чσυяs wishlist «««
tumblr | triple s, inspirit, vip

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:47 pm

I can /feeeel/ the answers approaching! *ANTICIPATION*

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:17 pm
Pretty Princess

Lilyice wrote:
We noticed the coloured letters but for the heck of us couldn't figure out how they contributed as a hint. T_T At the end, after I knew that Bottle 2 was the correct answer, I was making weird stuff up like since o is the third letter, w is the first letter, t is the fourth letter, maybe that means the next in the pattern is 'second', so two! /failsohard
it would be hilarious if that was the actual answer though

E-ehh? There were only three letters highlighted; "From which bottle do you pick?" - which are the letters in "two". I'd actually initially overthought this question, because then I took into consideration the fact that "two" was spelled backwards... I ended up asking Verae whether this question had a simple solution or not, since I was so nervous about getting it wrong, and she told me that if I thought the answer seemed too obvious, then I was definitely overthinking it. XD

A-anyway, I found the answer because I figured there had to be something about the way the question was asked that indicated the correct answer, since I didn't think the hosts would make a question that required too much outside research or heavy thinking. I actually didn't notice that some of the letters were dark green instead of black. What I did do was check the source code of the post, because I remembered Verae's older coded quotations quest and figured she was a compsci student, so she might have left a blocked-off message that wouldn't display. In retrospect I don't think that's even possible to do on the forum, but... XD Anyway, that's how I found the highlighted letters.

As for The Chase.... <O><O>

Lilyice wrote:
And then for The Chase... did the answer lead anyone else to the Yu-Gi-Oh thread?

IT DID but I figured that couldn't be correct, so I discarded that as an answer. XD I had to take a somewhat unorthodox method of solving this question, because I didn't get the math part correct.

Yeah... I failed the math part. |D

Not entirely, though, which is how it contributed to my actually finding the correct answer. I had to make the assumption that whatever post the numbers were supposed to lead to, it would be one of Verae's, Ryou's, or Nattile's in order for my methodology to actually work, so I'm glad that my guess was correct. If they'd asked a non-participating friend to edit their post, I might not've found the answer in the end.

But yes! My not being able to find the correct post through the calculations required me to find a different method. I had faith that my calculations for A and B were correct, but since I'm really bad at timezones, I assumed I was having a problem with C. That being the case, I assumed that the correct answer had to be a number near what I'd calculated, so I started skipping back through Verae's post history to look at the posts with numbers close to my answer, and that was where I found 'The Maze'. XD;

In retrospect, it probably would have been a lot faster for me to find the post if I'd simply done trial and error with all hours of the day, since they only change a couple numbers in the final answer. XD Oh well.

ANYWAY that's how I solved that question. :> The Maze itself isn't too difficult, so I'll let you guys try it out for yourselves. /o/

Here's my calculations for A and B, if it helps:
Spoiler: show
  • A = 80580
    • Egg 1: +10+6+4 (20) = will hatch soon (stage 4) = 6630
    • Egg 2: +10+6+4+1+1 (22) = not close to hatching (stage 1) = 30855
    • Egg 3: +10 = moved a bit (stage 2) = 9180
    • Egg 4: +10+6 (16) = moves occasionally (stage 3) = 7905
    • Egg 5: +10+6+4+1+1 (22) = about to hatch (stage 5) = 5355
    • Egg 6: +10+6+4+1 (21) = moved a bit (stage 2) = 20655
  • B = (4/5 [chance of poliwag appearing])*(1/8192 [chance of shiny])*(1/300 [chance of PT retro appearing]) = (1/) 3072000

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:30 pm

veregna wrote:
E-ehh? There were only three letters highlighted; "From which bottle do you pick?" - which are the letters in "two".

/facepalming so hard right now ide

Yeah see, we found the letters 'o', 'w', and 't' in a different colour. So I googled what 'owt' could possibly mean, NOT NOTICING AT ALL that it was 'two' spelled backwards.
I want to cry, thinking about it. xD

I actually thought of quoting the question because ryou gave me a hint after my first submission. He said that watching the episode wouldn't help at all, because the quest is rather self-contained. Just based on "self-contained", I thought it must be the way that the question itself was set up, so yeah. |D

And for The Chase, no matter what number we tried, it was always the Yu-Gi-Oh thread, so I searched the post history of the people whose post corresponded with the destination of the links. (You have no idea how long that took, because 1) I had no idea what I was looking for and 2) I ended up going through the post history of quite a few people. ;_;) The only people whose post history I didn't think of searching were the hosts, since I thought they got a friend to help out with the quest.
TT__TT

I think my problem is that I tend to overthink questions lmao.

/goes to try to find the real answer now

Edit: On a side note, Verae, is that C programming code I see in your journal? :o I recently just finished a course on it in uni and I really really enjoyed it because I love programming. :3 o/

»»» buying ιηғιηιτεℓч ღ чσυяs wishlist «««
tumblr | triple s, inspirit, vip

Last edited by Lilyice on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 am

OH, I SEE |DDD Looks like we really did overthink things for the bottle question XDD

As for the other one, I just now went and looked around in Verae's Journal for any entries hidden in inconspicuous pages that were edited recently, and it did lead me to the end of the chase eventually, I think. Is the middle name question the one we had to answer? *o*

Anyway, this quest was super fun~ Thank you very much for hosting it! :D

Art credit: huiro [Deino] || Kiyoko [Lucius]

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:57 am

Congrats to the other winners!

I got quite annoyed w/ the frillish denovan because I made 6 bitter balls and ended up catching a lonely one with the second :T... waste of balls.

Thank you soooooo much for hosting guys! thanks to you, I met a GREAT person! Im going to open one similar to this as I told Verae, I hope I dont disappoint you Verae~

tumblr breed buy auction

inactively active. pm here or contact @ tumblr for attention

friend code : 0232 9840 0281

------------------------------------------------

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:10 am

@Lilyice: Yup that was a crash course in C programming for my previous quest :D it's a great language to know ^^

@pokemainia: I doubt you could :3 I'm glad you've made new friends and are inspired to make more quests :D

Okay answers are up under the spoilers and we made a mistake calculated error in "The Chase" designed to test your ability to think outside the box /nods.

If there are any answers you are unsatisfied with or you believe we've made a mistake marking you please PM us ^^

Thanks for the support guys, you've been great and I'm sure Sherlock would be proud :D

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:40 am

veregna wrote:
"From which bottle do you pick?"
Oh! I didn't noticed the letters at all. o3o
Next time I should check the source code first and than copypasting everything into Word.

My math was so off… and I didn't even thought of checking post histories. /fails

Thank you for the answers! o/

It was on a hot summer day,
      I saw a smile as warm as the sun,
      and a gaze as cold as ice.

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

SHOPJOURNALDP SHOPMAL

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:49 am

adhdfjhaudfhuj I didnt notice the letters either ;^; When I saw it upclose, It WAS dark green :/

tumblr breed buy auction

inactively active. pm here or contact @ tumblr for attention

friend code : 0232 9840 0281

------------------------------------------------

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:56 am
Manly Princess

AW YEAH I GOT MYCROFT RIGHT FOR THE SCONES though I didn't submit that

and sob the chase

HERE I WAS THINKING MY MATH WAS WRONG L-LOL

[monthly parcel giveaway]
[shop] [buying] [journal] [natures] [wishlist]

Please PM me for urgent matters.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:58 am
Profile WWW

BACK FROM CLASSES. Ho ho ho. C: Am super glad you had fun with this. We okay, totally all my fault may have grossly overestimated how much money people would have spent orz Nevertheless! >v>; Our goal was to introduce people to the joys of BBC Sherlock and think we didn't do too badly with that. /nods

Congratulations Fay and Chi, Pocha and Lily annnnd Kachu and Shiyo C:

Re: Scone Puzzle;;
Sorry for not making it more obvious that the opposite of hating scones equals to Mycroft loving them and ergo eating them. >u>;;

✁- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pure Happiness (✿◠‿◠)
      Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage

✁- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Manly Princess

ryousuke wrote:
We okay, totally all my fault may have grossly overestimated how much money people would have spent orz
90 DISCARDS......... THAT IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY. B|

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:09 am
Profile WWW

Ardonye wrote:
ryousuke wrote:
We okay, totally all my fault may have grossly overestimated how much money people would have spent orz

; v; I'M SORRYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

✁- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pure Happiness (✿◠‿◠)
      Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage

✁- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:10 am
Profile WWW
Pretty Princess

Verae wrote:
we made a mistake calculated error in "The Chase" designed to test your ability to think outside the box /nods.

CRYING... omg you guys XDDD

ryousuke wrote:
We okay, totally all my fault may have grossly overestimated how much money people would have spent orz Nevertheless! >v>;

l-lol oh man you don't even want to know how much we spent on berry balls auuu XDDD

But we did have a lot of fun, thank youuu!! I actually ended up watching (and rewatching) all of the episodes over the course of the quest, so I'd say you guys did a fantastic job on that front. @u@;;

re: the scones question; I actually disregarded Mycroft because regardless of whether or not he likes scones or not, it wouldn't have been a concrete indicator (ie, you can like something but still have the propriety not to, say, swipe it). XD

That's why my answer for that question was Lestrade, since John's accusation would've been the only concrete "proof", so to speak. XD

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:16 am

Ardonye wrote:
ryousuke wrote:

... There would be violence if we mentioned that we included those natures for kicks right 8|... like HEHE SURELY NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD...

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:21 am

ryousuke wrote:
Our goal was to introduce people to the joys of BBC Sherlock and think we didn't do too badly with that. /nods
You did a fantastic job, guys! (○'ω'○)

ryousuke wrote:
Re: Scone Puzzle;;
Sorry for not making it more obvious that the opposite of hating scones equals to Mycroft loving them and ergo eating them. >u>;;
It was pretty obvious if you played at least ONE Professor Layton game before, though. xD;;

ryousuke wrote:
Ardonye wrote:
ryousuke wrote:

; v; I'M SORRYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
OH GOD THAT IGGLYBUFF. I don't know excactly how many discards Kachu had to make, but this thing was horrible. Hence why we submitted the female Igglybuff~

And all those balls for Donovan. /has almost a full box of Frillish now … orz

AND I FORGOT:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHINOMI! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

It was on a hot summer day,
      I saw a smile as warm as the sun,
      and a gaze as cold as ice.

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

SHOPJOURNALDP SHOPMAL

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:24 am
Manly Princess

Nattile wrote:
Ardonye wrote:
ryousuke wrote:

... There would be violence if we mentioned that we included those natures for kicks right 8|... like HEHE SURELY NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD...
YES THERE WILL BE.

look at this sad stain on my life

LOOK AT IT

>8U

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Pretty Princess

Ardonye wrote:
Nattile wrote:
YES THERE WILL BE.

look at this sad stain on my life

LOOK AT IT

>8U

LOL'D IRL

--also oooh that is a really cool hatching location for him

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next