It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Officially Closing: July 1st 
Leading King

Hi guys,

Sadly, we haven't been able to pay for this month's server fees, so we're unfortunately forced to close. Official closing date is going to be July 1st - I'm going to take the site down and back everything up before the server shuts down on July 2nd. I don't have an exact time for when, but probably sometime before July 2nd. This leaves us with 2 more weeks before we have to close.

I've been mostly absent lately and I apologize for it, but life's been fairly busy and I haven't been able to dedicate much time to ensure a smooth close. I'm sorry about that. I'd also love to be able to pay for the website's upkeep out of pocket, but I unfortunately can't, and I sincerely apologize for this.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support of this website over the years, everyone who's helped us stay afloat this entire time, including and especially the people who helped it stay afloat after the announcement of the site closing was made. You guys have been great and made a huge difference for this website and for me personally, and I'm nothing but grateful.

This site helped shape me as a person and was responsible for several long lasting personal friendships I've made along the years, as well as responsible for steering me toward the path of recovery from depression, helping me and my family get out of debt when my health started failing, helping me with bills for said health problems, and putting me on the path I am right now in life (which is a brighter, better path than before).

Every one of you is in some way responsible for this, and I sincerely thank you. I hope this site has brought happiness to you as well, or at least more happiness than grief, as it did for me.

I'm still unsure of what path I'll be taking professionally after VDex closes, but if anyone would like to stay in touch, I can be found on Tumblr at http://dapperpants.tumblr.com/, and my e-mail is velthomer [at] gmail.

A few of you have requested that I share the site's custom sprites so that they're not lost when the site closes, and I will be sharing them on my Tumblr above once I'm done backing them up. I'm sorry for the delay on this.

I don't have a lot of time right now to properly dedicate to ensuring the site closes smoothly, but if there's anything anyone would like me to do, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

It's been almost 8 years and the ride was amazing. I'm sorry there's no alternative to shutting down. I wish only happiness for everyone, and good luck to all of you who are struggling in some way or another.

This site will always hold a special place in my heart and so will every person who's been in it. Thank you, again, from the bottom of my heart.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:31 pm
Profile WWW

:sob: love you vdex project, such an enjoyable time and one of the best communities out there. You can slowly see the site dying though, and eventually everything dies off. May our vdex memories be awesome and may you all enjoy life to its fullest after this shutdown.

Thanks so much shiro <3, had such a good time on vdex :awesome:

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:20 am

In just a few days, my account will be seven years old. I remember hours turned into days, days turned into years, of coming here and clicking away. I came here when real life had me down, and the community here cheered me up. And I came here when real life was great, and the community here shared the good times with me. No matter the day, no matter the time, I could come to VDex and find a friend here.

I remember the sense of excitement when a new event dropped, or the flurry of nervousness when I saw a rare sprite, or the total elation when I caught something I'd been looking for a while. Or how much fun fighting with the other teams in the first Easter event was. Or how thrilled I was to finally discover my Mirage Island time. And I remember being the second person ever to complete the Pokedex.

I've spent the last hour reading through old Events and Announcements, and I can feel the wave of emotions returning. My time on the site may be over after seven years, but the memories aren't going anywhere.

I am now in a significantly different point in my life and a physically different place; I have different friends; and I spend my time differently. On the whole, these seven years have been years of great change. But with all this said, I'm thankful for the place in this time that VDex had. I will fondly remember this as one of my favorite places to come.

This site has brought so many people together, over both the space of the internet and eight years' time. Thank you, Shiro, for caring for us as you did. Thank you for putting so much of yourself into this site. I wish you, and everyone who ever came to this community, the absolute best.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:40 am

:(
I'm sad it finally had to end, mindlessly refreshing the Poke Radar kept me busy for almost seven years. It'll be weird not having this as one of my tabs that opens automatically.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:55 am

Thank you Shiro!

I loved this site. It's in my top 3 forums of all time, a very exclusive list, probably tied for second. The number one is my first board ever, a Charmed board, lol Charmed Embrace, miss you!

I'm glad I randomly decided to check in so I could be here for the last days! Maybe I'll make a good bye banner.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:43 pm

While I never really had the data or focus to be terribly active, it was a fairly good time while it lasted. I just wish I had found the site sooner.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Although I cannot say I am surprised by this news,
          I am still deeply pained by it. I really, truly am.

I knew this day would come, but I never had expected
          it to come by so quickly. For the past few months I have been
          in denial constantly about the site shutting down, pushing
          through the pain and making do with what I could on VDex
          for hours on in at a time. VDex was an addiction of mine, after all...

We were able to make it through a few months with the fear
          looming in the back of our minds of the site shutting down,
          I had high hopes for us to be able to get through the summer
          as well, but no money to help contribute. I feel as if I have
          failed the site sometimes because of it, but I know it isn't
          true. I just wish I could've contributed a lot more,
          I used to donate to the site when I had some extra money,
          but I couldn't donate any more because I'm trying to
          move out and get a place of my own.

Back when I joined in 2013, I would've never seen the site coming
          to an end, if you had told me back then that it would close
          I would've laughed at how untrue that was! It was the most fun
          I have had in years and I kept at it even after I lost interest
          because VDex has a very special place in my heart.
          It always has, and always will. Even after the website closes,
          VDex will forever be a fond memory to not only me,
          but to every member on the site.

There is no words that could possibly ever capture the true
          essence of my feelings for VDex and all that it's done for me.
          This is a website I called a home for many years and made myself
          cozy, albeit I've always been very timid and shy so making new
          friends has always been a difficult task for me, but I know
          that I have made many friends here. My memories will forever
          be with me and I hope to make some more before it's over.

Thank you for everything you've done, Shiro.
          All of this wouldn't have ever been possible without you.
          We all owe you so much for bringing us here together,
          the VDex community is a family and something
          that I will never forget for the rest of my life.
          Never will there ever be another experience quite like this,
          VDex was unique and fun, it was my addiction for years.

"When all is lost, the future still remains."

Lucina | ルキナ

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:39 pm

): oh my heart sank when I read this

thank you for all you've done!

Give the Pokémon in '☆ Free to Take ☆' a home?

Buying Thread

Journal

Image burn a hole in my pocket

A calm and cooling motion..

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:36 am

Location: Australia, Australasia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe
Thank you for our time here Shiro! <3 Vdex will always hold the fondest memories, from the lazy afternoons spent playing the game, to the wonderful community that played too! The site may be closing, but it will always live on in the impact it's made on all our lives!

Wishing everyone the best in life! <3

ImageImageImageImage
Tumblr ✻ DevArt ✻ Twitter ✻ GA of D

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:31 am

I've no words. Really. You know my personnal situation and in what vdex helped me. So well, It'll be almost impossible for me to accept this. Especially after all the time I spent there.

And what about the solution to keep it in a way or not alive ? Like the offline version, the online in a freezed statut ? Everything you said it could be possible ? You even told us that a solution could be done on vdex even if this could take some time ? I mean doing a vdex, without user database could be possible, using local cookies. Something people could use to refresh as before but with less things. But the spirit of vdex would be here. And it'd be free. Using github pages or things like this. It's possible, i'm myself developping a little game like this. Now there are possibilities to recrate a vdex for free but would be more tricky. No know it's up to you.

I'm really in a mixed mood right now.

5000 Shiny caught : DONE
Buying BP in bulk | IRC
ImageImage

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 am
Leading King

I never said another solution was possible.

Thanks everyone, for the kind words. It means a lot to me that the site meant a lot to this many people. I wish there was something else I could do, but as it stands, there sadly isn't.

Twitter | Reversed Side A archive

Please, ask VDex gameplay questions in the help forum.

Spoiler: show
Image Image

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 am
Profile WWW

So why not telling us about this ?

Anyway, I'm really happy to have spent one year more than excepted here. Thanks to everybody who has did the job to have the game Gonna clean my collections, everything in order to be ready to move in a new project for this. It has been 8 amazing years really, I'll always be proud to have done all my work here for vdex.

And of course huge thanks to Shiro, because nothing would be here without you at the end. I wish you the best for your professional life and your health. Really, and I hope that vdex will be a thing for us for a long time o/

5000 Shiny caught : DONE
Buying BP in bulk | IRC
ImageImage

Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 pm

I may not have been the most active, but I will always love the fun had here.

You did your best, and all good things must come to an end.

Wishing everyone luck with future endeavors.

- Sidiko.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:59 am

I have been active here from 2011 to 2015 and throughout my experiences in Vdex, it plays a huge role in my high school and college life. I remembered having fond memories of playing mafia, writing silly or serious moments in my personal journal, and refreshing thousands of times for a shiny legendaries. I remembered joining in my first event, the easter egg Mareep. I love the community here and I'm glad that I found this site. I have change as person with different interests and at a different stage of life. Despite that Pokemon is one of my side fandoms, I will remember the good feelings I experienced in all my years here. I still love Pokemon to this day ( I bought Pokemon plushies in Japan) even though I don't love it as intensely as before. It's one of my favorite sites I visited and I'm glad that I met the people here.

Wishing everyone the best.

- Kirby-Chan

The Warp Star shop!
Buying: A lot of Sunstones Auction: Nothing Kickass: A Revolution Wishlist

MI time: 12:07 at Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:34 pm
Profile WWW

Aw, man, thanks for everything you've done, Shirogane. I've been on this site for almost 6 years now, and I've loved it every time I logged on. Many good memories of obsessively clicking and hoarding pixels were had. Filling in for when I just needed to zone out on something I enjoyed (Pokemon) but didn't feel like breaking out the DS.
So thank you again, Shiro, and I wish you the best!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Thank you for everything Shiro, the past 7 years here have meant a lot to me and it will be forever a place and experience I will forever cherish. Vdex was here for me when things weren't great and it was always a place of comfort and stability. As sad as I am, I am even more happy and proud of you and hope your progress contiunes.

~ducky

NASCAR Everything else is just a game

SKI THE EAST

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Thank you for the fun times, VDex. I will miss you.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:17 am

Is it possible if we can have all of the Character/Partner art compiled somewhere?
      VDex had such memorable and lovable characters ;;

Lucina | ルキナ

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Thank you for all you've done, Shiro. I've been playing VDex for nearly seven years, and I had so much fun on this website! :sob:

Livejournal -- My Shop -- Image<---- My Dungeon

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:21 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks again Shiro for being so honest with us and for giving tons of people a great place to hang out and enjoy Pokémon together. I wish you the best!

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next