It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 11:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
[IMPORTANT] Jan 18 2016 Database Crash - Info&Questions 
Leading King

Hi guys,

Some of you may notice something different about your Pokémon. This is, regrettably, not your imagination.

On January 18th at about 6 PM GMT, we had a severe database crash. I'm not 100% sure of the cause, but it appears to have been a failed backup (the irony). The Pokémon database - which is the largest we have - crashed and became corrupt. Unfortunately, its backup -also- became corrupt.

Restoring the backup table gave most of the data back, but a couple of columns were gone in many of the rows. This means all of the Pokémon were accounted for, but bits of information of many of them weren't.

This mostly affected Pokémon with IDs above 1.8 million, although some older Pokémon have also been affected. About a million Pokémon lost their data on:

- Species
- Icon
- Sprite Type

All other information - including shininess, logs, name, nature and so forth, was unaffected by the crash.

Because, fortunately, data on dex numbers was kept, restoring species was a simple affair.

Through the species, it was possible to restore every Pokémon's image to a "default" state. This means HGSS (Arceus and below) or BW (Victini and above) sprites.

The days following the crash mostly consisted of the site being down while automatic restoration was attempted for several Pokémon, following this criteria:

1) Event Pokémon that were caught around when an event was active outside of their native areas;
2) Certain parcel Pokémon (mainly with unique species) as long as they were taken out of the parcel;
3) NPC Pokémon (Pinkan berries used on them were lost);
4) Special Pokémon with unique sprite+nature combinations, such as Flower Ditto;
5) Pokémon that had been traded at least once had their sprites changed to what they were at the time of the trade. EXCEPTION: Pokémon that were traded as eggs could not be restored through this method;
6) Pokémon that have parents or children with matching natures may have had their sprite restored to that of the matching parent/child.

Because the restoration was done by a script and based on guesswork, false positives exist: Pokémon that were incorrectly restored to a certain sprite.

A great number of Pokémon did not fit any of those criteria and could not be restored through the methods listed above.

I also went through individual restoration requests from members, manually copying links to Pokémon and pasting them into a script that changed them into what was requested. This may have resulted in some Pokémon being incorrectly restored, as it was literally thousands of links and I sometimes pasted them into the wrong list.

If you're looking to get one or more of your Pokémon sprites restored - either because it was done incorrectly, or because it hasn't been restored yet, please refer to the restoration request topic.

If you have any questions or anything you'd like to discuss concerning the crash, please use this topic.

Swap Certificates have been added to help people recover their retro losses from the database crash.

Untradable, Unsellable
(you can get rid of them by releasing Pokémon holding them if you need/want to)

Swap Certificates, when held by eligible Pokémon, allow you to change their sprite from HG/SS to an applicable different generation. Click the Swap Certificate icon in their information page (which will appear next to gallery/collection/etc icons) to swap the sprite.

Everyone was given enough swap certificates to change sprites for about one third of their owned and eligible HG/SS sprites, excluding very old (2011 and older) ones. I realize this number is not enough for some people, but it's also very high for others. If you need more swap certificates I'll need you to contact me explaining the situation.

If used to change the sprite of a shiny OR to change a sprite to Green, it will bind the Pokémon to your account.

Eligibility

A Pokémon is eligible to have its sprite swapped if:

- You're the OT and currently own it;
- It has never been traded (this includes trading it as an egg, before it was adopted by you, or before it was gifted to you);
- It has a HG/SS sprite;
- It existed before the crash (this includes very old ones that weren't counted for the one third calculation mentioned above);
- It's not in a pending trade.

Available Sprites

Only standard (not palette swaps) sprites are available from certificates:

- Green [BINDING], Red/Blue and Yellow are available for Gen I Pokémon EXCEPT shinies (G/RB/Y sprites can't be shiny);
- Gold, Silver and Crystal are available for Gen II and below Pokémon;
- R/S, Emerald and FR/LG are available for Gen III and below Pokémon;
- D/P, D/P 2, Platinum, Pt2, HG/SS2 are available for Gen IV and below Pokémon;
- B/W is available for Pokémon that were met in Unova.

Other sprite types cannot be obtained using this method.

If you need a Pokémon restored that does not fit the above please use this topic.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Leading King

Note: Our server has since been updated to include a 1TB external HD (for an additional $15/month) configured to store backups automatically. This should (hopefully) help prevent instances where a server crash will also crash the drive where the backup is kept.

Twitter | Reversed Side A archive

Please, ask VDex gameplay questions in the help forum.

Spoiler: show
Image Image

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:37 pm
Profile WWW

Is it possible this vulpix http://vdexproject.net/poke.php?id=3179118 was like this http://vdexproject.net/zangoose/poke/special/vulpix.png ??

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:37 pm

I just wanted to ask real quick before I posted in the restoration thread. My notched-ear Pichu (I know I've linked it like three times now I'm sorry ;; ) I got from a parcel. It was auto-restored into a Piblu, and I linked it to be restored back to a notched-ear Pichu. That resulted in the sprite breaking completely, and it's still broken even though the other pokemon I linked in the same post have all been fixed, so I'm not sure what to do about it D: Is it bugged and that's why it's not working correctly, or will I have to wait until you give us items to change the sprite into something else once the site reopens?

Pichu in question:
http://vdexproject.net/poke.php?id=3339315

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:52 pm
Leading King

Yes, and it's been restored already. o7

jhunichi wrote:
I just wanted to ask real quick before I posted in the restoration thread. My notched-ear Pichu (I know I've linked it like three times now I'm sorry ;; ) I got from a parcel. It was auto-restored into a Piblu, and I linked it to be restored back to a notched-ear Pichu. That resulted in the sprite breaking completely, and it's still broken even though the other pokemon I linked in the same post have all been fixed, so I'm not sure what to do about it D: Is it bugged and that's why it's not working correctly, or will I have to wait until you give us items to change the sprite into something else once the site reopens?

Pichu in question:
http://vdexproject.net/poke.php?id=3339315

It's bugged for now, but broken sprites and mismatched icons should be fixed before the site opens up again. If they're not fixed by the time we're open again, then it's a bug and should be reported. o7

Image Image

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:11 pm
Profile WWW

Ohh okay, thank you! <3

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:31 pm

Awesome! Thanks, Shiro :)

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:26 pm

What happened to the the posts we were using before?

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:54 am

Shiro, quick question: you mentioned if I receive Pokemon as gifts but hasn't been traded there'll be a tool to restore it- but what about Pokémon that were traded once to me? I'm debating on releasing my now-HGSS Poliwags, since I can probably never restore them ;; :o

*STRETCHES OUT POLIWAG LEG FOR MILES*

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Sporadically active. If I post, it means I was asked to see something.

Sometimes, I sell natured Pokémon. Black market's good this time of year.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:10 am

my pokemon are beginning to disappear from my boxes in patches. ._.;;

is... is that normal?

ask for skype. twitter. flight rising.

pu-to-tyra

SHOPPU.

BUYTHREDDO.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:15 am
Leading King

SaneMadPerson wrote:
my pokemon are beginning to disappear from my boxes in patches. ._.;;

is... is that normal?

I was running a script to restore some broken images/icons.

dracoon wrote:
Shiro, quick question: you mentioned if I receive Pokemon as gifts but hasn't been traded there'll be a tool to restore it- but what about Pokémon that were traded once to me? I'm debating on releasing my now-HGSS Poliwags, since I can probably never restore them ;; :o

Pokémon that were traded can be restored through the snapshot of the trade. If any traded Pokémon haven't been restored, link me and I'll look into it.

ChibiNinja wrote:
What happened to the the posts we were using before?

I split it into two posts. The post got locked and can still be viewed in the Announcements subforum.

Image Image

Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Leading King

Okay, I just need a tiny bit more backend work, and the game can go live again.

All that's missing at the moment is tracking down DP item purchases so that I can offer item refunds for people who used them but couldn't have their Pokémon restored, and snapshotting the current database so that restoration based on data as it was pre-crash is still possible when the game goes live.

I've already coded the tool that will be used to restore HG/SS sprites to a retro state. It will require an item called Swap Certificate, which I will hand out once I can 100% confirm it's glitch free (this requires the game being up).

It can only be used on Pokémon you're the OT of, which have never been traded, have a HG/SS sprite and existed prior to the crash.

If used on a shiny Pokémon, it will bind the Pokémon to you (mostly to prevent this giving people an unfair market advantage by creating a bunch of shiny retros to sell).

Retro and shiny rates will be temporarily boosted. The rate at which the monthly specials appear will also be boosted until the end of the month to compensate for the week-long downtime.

I'm looking into other things I can do for you guys to help compensate for your losses.

For now, though, I really need to go to sleep. I'll see to all of this tomorrow. o7

Image Image

Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:03 am
Profile WWW

yaaaay shiny rate boost. o/

idiot ninja boyfriends that fight a lot and sometimes hold hands

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:42 am

Shirogane wrote:
I'm looking into other things I can do for you guys to help compensate for your losses.

How about a special achievement for having survived this? /o/

Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:03 am

@ 3@;
I'm not even sure how people are even able to check on their pokemon to see if they changed. *can't figure it out*

Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:26 am

Vigilia This is the original post about the crash! When you scroll down, you'll find the links to the archive, daycare and your PC boxes in the first post of Shirogane.
Just click on the links and take a look at the Pokemon that way. :)

I'm super happy that there will be a boost for the monthly Pokemon, shinies and everything! ; v ;)b Thanks, Shiro–!

WISHLIST SHOP AUCTION BUYING

Hi there! If you want to stay in touch, feel free to add me or drop me a line! :)
              ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
              tumblr: narubabe.tumblr.com
              twitter: @seikothings
              email & facebook: pm me!
              ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:33 am
Profile ICQ

Perfect! Thank you! I do second the idea of an achievement, this was tighter than surviving 12-12-12!

The swap certificate is going to be FUN

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:57 am

"temporarily" why only

Haha just joking. Thank you Shiro. You did an awesome job. <3

5000 Shiny caught : DONE
Buying BP in bulk | IRC
ImageImage

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:09 pm
Leading King

Vigilia wrote:
@ 3@;
I'm not even sure how people are even able to check on their pokemon to see if they changed. *can't figure it out*

It's in the restoration request topic, linked to from the first post of this topic. o7

Image Image

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:13 pm
Profile WWW

I just want to say thank you, Shiro. The amount of work you've had to do in the past few days is staggering. I just really admire and respect the dedication, when it would've been so much easier to say 'sorry can't do anything they're gone forever.' Just... thanks so much for being so dedicated to this little 'game for Poke-losers.'

We are coming... for you...

Image Searching for something rare...

Lurking with the derped Magnemites... http://forum.vdexproject.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1704

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next