It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Pokemon: Containment 

This story/fanfic/book/whatever is a sort of prologue to an actual plot I want for a real book. This'll follow someone on they're adventures as a trainer and give a background to everything happening.

Also: I want audience input to the story (but only when I ask for suggestions, please). There's going to be points in the story where people can help me by telling me what to do, who to add, what Pokemon to include.

Quote:
He stared intently at the book, tracing his finger across the dust stained cover of a thick blue journal. His finger stopped at a white tag barely left on the cover. The edges had peeled completely off and all but the name was unreadable. It read "A Hero Emerges: Pallet". A drop of water from the ill-made ceiling quickly bled away the ink that once spelled out the title. The book which he had finally finished writing continued on with no name. There was no reason to bother with it anymore. In fact, the title being erased was a blessing. It allowed the book to survive many of Rocket's frequent checks, or rather the stealing of anything of slight value in the homes of anyone in the town. The old man took a deep sigh and rose from the three legged stool. It was a wonder that the thing even held together anymore. Alas, it served him well through the years he spent writing this memoir.

A small boy, no more than ten, rushed into the room. His hair was a thick, black, matted mess. A crumpled brown leaf hung out one side. He looked up to the man, his dark brown eyes seeming to be black holes in the dim light surrounded by bright brown freckle-stars. A candle had quite an eerie effect on the boy. "Grandpa!" he shouted, throwing his arms around the old mans waist.

"Oh, Riley. Always nice to see you. Is your mother here too?" he asked, kneeling down to eye level with his grandson.

"Yeah, she's unloading the cart.

"My my! Shouldn't you be helping her? A boy as strong as you has to look out for your mother!"

"Oh, grandpa. I'm as weak as a dead plant!" he brushed the leaf from his hair and giggled, realizing how the two connected.

"Bah! One day, you'll be strong. And one day, I'm sure you'll have yourself some strong Pokemon too." The old man smiled.

Riley's eyes widened and scanned the area around him. He pushed his little hand up to his grandpa's nearly hidden mouth. The beard bothered him enough to cause him to pull his hand away instantly. "Grandpa, you know what'll happen if you talk about you know what."

"Oh, get over it. They're a reality whether you want to face it or not and I know you're destined to be with them. I promise you." He huffed and placed his hand on the boys head, picking out any other particles that were tangled into the mess, "Let me tell you a story, Riley."

"Grandpa... not again. Every time I hear your stories they have to do with Pokemon and I can't tell anyone."

"This one's different, Riley. This is my story." He cracked open the book to a page with black link and fancy cursive writing. The words on the first page, which he flipped through rather quickly, read, "To Riley Dentrain IV; I hope one day you can have the life I did. And if you can't, die fighting for it". He began reading the book against the child's will. The words mesmerized him. There was no resisting his story now; it was going to be a long one, and he knew it.

=~=~=~=~=

Chapter 1: The Beginning

Ring ring ring!

A Chingling alarm clock shook furiously, beating on the cheap metal container it was designed it. That thing didn't have much time before it was broken. It was about eight years old at that point, anyways. The owner, a young buy with scruffy brown hair lifted just enough of his head out from under the covers to knock it off the headboard and onto the floor. The end of its short run with the boy was over there. Small bits of aluminum were scattered across the floor. It was a minefield waiting for a small foot to cut. He lifted his head farther from the covers to discover what he had done. Deep brown eyes stared at the mess, connecting it with potential trouble. With no intention of missing his first day as a Pokemon trainer due to injury, he swept it under his bed and got dressed.

First, his jeans, followed by a white t-shirt and red jacket. He slipped on a pair of new shoes that were waiting by the door for him. A small piece of paper was inside the left one. It read, Good luck honey! You'll do great. -Mom. He blushed and tossed it into the small trashcan at the end of his bed. The same one that had the markings of a Swalot all around the sides. Before leaving, he grabbed a white snapback baseball cap from the door handle and shoved it over his untamed locks. His mom waited directly outside the door.

"What was all that noise?" She asked sternly, eyeing him and a bit of metal left on the floor.

"Eh... uhm... D'nt worry 'bout it ma," he said, pushing his way past her.

"Oh," she said to her own shock. Her son, sixteen year old Riley Dentrain, was more than ready to leave the house and go on his adventure. His father, mother, and sister had all said their goodbyes the night before anyways. There was no reason for him to miss any of what was to become his future.

Riley rushed out of his front door, slamming it almost a bit too hard. A young boy and girl, both seemingly his age, walked past his house. They both shared similar hair colors. It made it seem as if a wave of red was rushing past his home, only to stop when a loud noise was made. Brown eyes, similar to his, stared from the boy. A bright set of green eyes surrounded by a sea of freckles looked directly at him. The boy held the girl back and stepped forwards towards Riley. This was the same kid that picked on him when they were in trainer's school. It was always, "you'll never become a Pokemon trainer" and "you have no clue how to control their true powers anyways". Jeremy was a jerk.

The girl was new to him, and therefore very interesting. Pretty, no doubt. He smiled and waved politely. She cowered behind the bully, almost scared of what he might do to her if she were to wave back. Jeremy pushed her farther behind him.

"Listen, kid, I don't want your failure rubbing off on my sister. If I see you within feet of her I will pound your face in. Got me?" he rose one fist, careful to keep it close to himself. He wouldn't dare approach Riley. Not only was Riley bigger, but it was all a hollow threat. Jeremy knew if he did anything his sister, Molly, would be straight off to mommy and daddy to get him grounded and off the track to becoming a Pokemon master.

"Whatever. Catch'a later," he said, glaring at Jeremy but giving a soft look to Molly. Riley jogged ahead of them, excited to get his first Pokemon.

Meanwhile, at the lab, Professor Oak was busily maintaining the machines and supervising Pallet Town's various new trainers as they made attempts at the Poke-Lottery. They each placed a hand on a monitor and answer questions mainly dealing with personality. It would tell whether or not they were ready to leave for their journey. A multitude of younger aspiring trainers were sent off empty-handed while the majority of older kids were given a Pokeball with their first partner before being kicked out. Hours passed, all very slowly. Oak dreaded this part of his job.

The doors busted open to a rather winded Riley. Oak spun around from the machines, stopping the processes he had been running. All but one of the five were powered down until the next Summer.

"Boy, you're late," he joked. The boy laughed to seem polite, but plopped down in the nearest seat as soon as possible to catch his breath.

"I-...I-...I'm s-sorry," Riley yelled between elongated breaths.

"Eh, no problem. Just use the machine. Hurry up."

"Oh! Okay!"

He ran to machine quickly, placing his palm over the outline of a hand. It was much smaller than his, but was also designed to fit kids ages twelve to fourteen. His journey was starting exceptionally late. Multiple questions popped up. Riley answered each verbally. They were simple questions dealing with things like hometown, birthday, and favorite things to do with Pokemon. The hand was needed to monitor vitals and determine whether it was a lie or not. The screen changed to a striped blue background with a large "OK" after moments. Sounds came from inside the machine and a glass window slid to the side. It made noises for a few seconds, eventually returning to the home screen.

"That's odd." Oak said, slamming his hand into the side of it a couple times. A Pokeball was supposed to come out, but nothing seemed to be inside of it.

"Wait, what? Am I gonna get one?" Riley asked innocently, staring at Oak with honest eyes.

"Yeah, sure. Let me go grab one from the back then. I'll use your results to manually determine your partner."

Oak returned moments later with a Pokeball.

Get me right, this WILL pick up soon. It's not going to be this boring throughout the whole thing. I want to release the plot, but it'll spoil some surprises I have planned.

Now, I want to set the first point here. I have two or three Pokemon in mind for his starter but I don't want to write them in until I get input from the community (assuming anyone even gives a crap about this). With the restraints that the Pokemon must not be able to evolve (Chatot, Pinsir, etc. That kind of unable), what do YOU think Riley's starter should be?

Tue May 14, 2013 7:12 pm

I like this story so far, Spesh, I really do. But I feel like I need some sort of background and personality information about Riley before I can say what his partner should be...I mean, all I got from the story so far is that he's older, seems determined, has a slight rivalry, and seems a bit charismatic and charming...

Though, judging from the current list of ~55 Pokemon that aren't currently part of an evolutionary line, I'd say I like the idea of a rivalry between Riley and Zangoose and Jeremy and Seviper~ :) Dunno, just ideas~~

Follow Me on Tumblr

Wed May 15, 2013 3:49 pm

For one, it wasn't all that dragging along-ish. You might've felt that way because you're the writer, but I personally think the pace was okay.

Secondly, starter. I'm going to assume you're not limiting it to specific generations [mainly because you mentioned Chatot] so here I go:
  • Pachirisu - Because of how opposite I felt between Riley and a typical Pachi; that is, Riley seemed like one of the headstrong, ambitious type from what I've read while Pachi is more of a cutesy, cheeky Pokemon. Having said that, I imagine Riley and Pachi having good fun once they're close.
  • Dunsparce - If you're aiming for a comical partner.
  • Heatmor - playing straight to Riley's strong nature.
  • Zangoose - //shamelssly copies mdf.
  • Sableye - Obligatory Ghost Pokemon! :D

Thu May 16, 2013 4:26 am
Profile WWW

I'm liking the idea of a Zangoose-Seviper rivalry. What other rivalry Pokemon are there? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I do have a spoiler, though. I'm planning to use the background information behind the relation of Clefairy and Gengar later on in the story. :D

EDIT: On second thought, I might consider either Teddiursa, Aipom, or Pachirisu for starters. I think the only Pokemon I would feel comfortable using that evolved, looking at it, are normal types with one evolution. Not sure. On another note, what about the Skitty/Glameow type rivalry?

EDIT x2: If you do recommend anymore though, keep in mind that I'd like to refrain from using Pokemon that had huge parts in Pokemon anime. I mean, I can excuse Seviper and Jessie just because it makes so much sense.

Fri May 17, 2013 6:07 pm

I really think a large pokemon like Tropius could be his starter, but it starts out as an adolescent so it is relatively small.

If you want rivalries there's Cubone/Farfetch'd since they both wield sword-like weapons and cubone doesn't change much upon evolution.

youtube
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Wed May 22, 2013 6:35 pm

I didn't and still don't know what else to say since I already gave my suggestions but...I really liked the beginning of this story and I do hope it will be continued...

Follow Me on Tumblr

Thu May 30, 2013 11:49 pm

I dunno if anyone has any interest in this anymore but I'm considering re-engaging in it. Would anyone read?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:39 pm

You should do Pinsir and Heracross, which are both stag beetles. Or Wobbuffet and Girafarig which both have a mysterious second head.

youtube
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Clefairies wrote:
You should do Pinsir and Heracross, which are both stag beetles. Or Wobbuffet and Girafarig which both have a mysterious second head.

I really like the idea of Heracross and Pinsir. Heracross would make a decent partner for Riley. Once I resume writing I'll probably use that.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:01 pm

To anyone who is awaiting an update to the story:

I am going to be continuing on with it soon. I have to re-plan a lot because most of what I had was in my head at the time of writing it. The story is still similar with only slight alterations.

Also... would you rather me write it all on a blog where it is in one place with this thread for discussion, or just have me post each time there is a new addition?

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Unless you have an active blog already, I would recommend continue writing it here so that I can follow you more easily. //selfish because I personally think it's rarer for others to read your work on a blog floating somewhere in the net all by itself compared to here where a vdex member who is interested in others' writing has a chance to stumble upon your work(s).

Sorry for the late reply zz been having way too much fun in WAKFU and had forgotten to visit vdex regularly.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

<<<Part One

~Part 2 is in progress~

I will no longer be calling them "chapters" as they are not quite long enough to fill the definition. I'll just be releasing parts. All parts will be linked in the first post. The part following and before the posted part will be linked in its post as well (part three will be linked to part one until it is official written).

Part Three>>>

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]