It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
if I could actually get some advice that would be cool 

so I have this trainer character, Kev, and I'm writing about him as a sort of a pet project. but I've got one vital hole in this story: his rival character's team. I haven't been able to revamp it and only have what I could salvage from the first draft of her team. if I could get some suggestions for Pokemon she could have, that would be great.

the story itself takes place in Hoenn, and Kev is from Hoenn, but Mariella, the rival, is from Johto. here's some details:

Kev - age ~20, pretty disgruntled, sometimes kind of nasty, still a good person
Pokemon:
Dog - Charmander (partner Pokemon, complicated back story don't make me explain)
Paleo - Armaldo
Megara - Flygon
Fang - Seviper
Undertow - Cloyster
??? - Slaking

Mariella - age 14, bossy but naive, daughter of rich botanists
Pokemon (salvaged):
Courtney - Meganium (male, partner Pokemon she got for her 6th birthday)
Pistol - Sneasel
Cherrypie - Shuckle

so Mariella needs three Pokemon yet for her final party, which will be later in the story but not too late to do anything with them. I'm thinking she might be able to have like one or two Hoenn Pokemon since she does go there for the duration of the story after being a trainer in Johto for a while. not sure. don't want too many Hoenn Pokemon but at least one would be good.

anyone have advice? if you want to suggest a nickname for Kev's Slaking you can do that too, but idk how useful those might be since you don't know much about Kev or the Slaking. go ahead and try if you want, that would rock.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 am
Profile WWW

A few questions.

I'm...really interested in knowing your Charmander's backstory? Since he's still a Charmander compared to the other 'strong' Pokemon you have fielded on your protagonist's team(and also the fact that your character begins in Hoenn and it's a bit dubious and non-canon for him to have a Kanto starter). Also I find your antagonist's team a bit...unbalanced. Meganium-Sneasel-Shuckle are all weak against Fire-types, and I would want a strong Water- or Ground-type(i.e Rhydon/Poliwrath, idk if it's too 'manly' for this character) to counter this rather than having your protagonist too overpowering to the antagonist.

Also, a bit more about your characters! One line of personality...is a bit weak, imo. Maybe expand on this a bit more to explain his Pokemon choices and how he strategises in battle since I can predict this will be a canon-ish story. Same for your antagonist, because she is extremely underdeveloped. :<

(I'm using these to sound professional because your names are a bit hard to commit to mind because I'm lazy. xD)

*STRETCHES OUT POLIWAG LEG FOR MILES*

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Sporadically active. If I post, it means I was asked to see something.

Sometimes, I sell natured Pokémon. Black market's good this time of year.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:28 am

er... haha I didn't give the full story because I wasn't really interested in feedback on the full story, just in suggestions for Johto Pokemon a young teen girl might want to have.

if you're interested, the Charmander is based on a goofy glitch/easter egg rumor my friend told me back in elementary school when those things ran rampant. the rumor involved beating the Elite 4 with a single unevolved Charmander and getting full Pokedex completion data as a result somehow. obviously not possible, but I didn't realize that immediately as a child. it stuck with me as a curiosity of memory and ended up being a minor goal of the antagonist of this story, a nameless (to the protagonist) man accompanied by a Magmortar, who spends a few days in Lavaridge, the protag's hometown, and gives him a Pokemon egg on a whim since he already knows his latest genetic experiment (to engineer a Charmander that is super-powerful, never evolves, and can learn almost any move in order to confuse the Pokemon League's computer systems with conflicting data on a single Pokemon and ultimately wreak havoc in the resulting chaos and hopefully take control of power) is a failure and that's the type of impulsive person he is

Kev hatches and trains the Charmander, which, as it turns out, is unable to evolve but otherwise fairly normal, and is increasingly disgruntled by the fact that his Charmander isn't evolving (because that's the type of person HE is, he's fairly immature and impressed easily by large powerful-looking things), he sets out primarily to find the mystery antagonist with the intent of finding out what's wrong with his Charmander and also proving himself worth being called a trainer because that's the kind of interactions they had before the man left. along the way he ends up taking the gym challenge, learning valuable lessons, etc. Mariella, the rival, isn't the main antagonist, or even a hugely important character. she's really only there because, since the main premise is about a game-related tidbit I heard as a child, I thought it would be nice to include other game-related things, such as a traditional rival character. it's also fun to have someone to play Kev off of, or it would be if I could get her enough Pokemon for them to have an interesting battle instead of just yelling at each other like the children they aren't.

additionally, in regards to your comments about type weaknesses: I am focusing more on writing and character development here than actual battle strategy. while both of these characters are passionate about Pokemon, neither are the type to sit down and think out type matchups, PARTICULARLY not Mariella, who is not very bright most of the time. they make choices I would never make and their battle style is very different from, even significantly worse than, my own. I am writing complex characters, not optimized self-inserts.

I do not appreciate you referring to my characters as undeveloped just because I have tried to save time by giving you only a small fragment of their full story. :) please understand. thank you!

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 pm
Profile WWW

I'm sorry if I offended you regarding that ;A; It just seems that way because you see, the Writing Corner is relatively...stale around here- and sadly you may feel that you 'save time' but it comes across as just not fleshing them out properly, a common thing amongst a lot of people seeking opinion here. Hence my comment, I didn't mean to sound elitist or aggressive. I am scathing when it comes to comments, and I'm coming off only from 1 post.

The Charmander story is really interesting though, because I thought it was personal preference on the Charmander not to evolve and was expecting a big backstory about why he wouldn't. I didn't know your rival was dim, actually since the personality part was really skimmed. Tbh I think this will be pretty ambitious and if you really want to make it a full-fledged thing I may go around to check it out.

Fanfiction.net?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 pm

ah thank you! I totally understand, I'm in a few communities with pretty unpolished writers, and I'm sorry if I came off a little cold! I think about these guys a lot you see and it's easy for me to take offense when I get that kind of unspecified criticism. I had assumed 'naive' would be easily taken as a synonym for 'not that bright' but maybe I was a little hasty there. as of right now it's still a work in progress, the purpose of this thread is to get any amount of vague suggestions for Pokemon for Mariella so that I can draw ideas from that and actually start writing with the intent of really getting anywhere. Kev's Slaking was a suggestion from one of my friends who barely knows about him, and it really is the perfect Pokemon to write about him using - impressive looking, but extremely frustrating.

when it's up, I tend to post things on my Tumblr account under the writing tag and work title tag (since the work is yet untitled it'll just be here) but I do have an AO3 account if you feel that's appropriate? idk, it's weird with trainer characters since it's close to original fiction but not quite. I've never written a serious Pokemon story with my own characters before so I'm not exactly sure what's usually done. um, if you're sure you're interested, I do have one roughly four page short I wrote for practice with Kev. it was before I revamped his team but his team went mostly unchanged when I revamped it so it's still fairly current. http://c00ltrainer.tumblr.com/post/31556284853 warning, language.

got any suggestions for Johto/Hoenn Pokemon a teenage girl would like? think cute and stereotypical and let me worry about the finer details, haha. I'm thinking about a Marill but since it wouldn't make for a very good water travel Pokemon I'm going to avoid that unless I really can't think of something better. maybe a Wailmer.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 am
Profile WWW

I think for Johto, maybe Babies? Smoochum would be another Ice-type which I would want to avoid, maybe Pichu? As for Hoenn, I was running along the lines of a Luvdisc but since you wanted a Wailmer I'm okay. For cute birds, maybe a Swablu because they're generally fluffy? I really wanted a Houndour because spoilt children usually own dogs but it'll be another Dark-type and upset the balance.

Now Tumblr's the go-to place for fanfics? Wow, I feel old :< I would check it out but I doubt I'll follow the story closely because I don't use Tumblr often.

/delicately places Pokéballs on scales

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:25 am

Pichu's a brilliant idea! the goal here is to create a team that works well logically in a way that's natural for the characters. Luvdisc would be great, for example, but in the physical world it doesn't work too well for water travel, while Wailmer is big enough to allow a passenger and also fairly cute.

a Houndour would be cute if she didn't already have a Sneasel for a more devious Pokemon, but then Houndour is a little bit edgy looking whereas Sneasel can be called cute. if I could give her a Lillipup I would, haha. but then her Meganium, since she grew up with it and it was a gift from her parents rather than a standard-issue starter, can be counted for something like that. it used to be shiny, but I decided that since Kev's Charmander already has an odd coloration, Mariella having a shiny might be a little much.

I wouldn't say Tumblr is the go-to place for fanfics so much as I don't really write anything worth putting on a fanfic website. I usually hang around AO3 because the writing quality tends to be a lot higher overall than Fanfiction.net, and I have an account there because I feel it's easier to contribute to that collection, but I do occasionally browse Fanfiction.net because it's easier to find content there. Tumblr is simply where I keep all kinds of writing, even if I feel like it isn't a contribution to AO3's database; my blog is sort of my base on the internet.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:52 pm
Profile WWW

Now, I vaguely skimmed past the posts so far to catch more than the facts that Mariella would most likely have a 'cute'-ish party, that she's bossy/naive/average-brained and she's from a rich family. The list here are Pokemons that I felt decent to someone befitting those descriptions so... yeah.

• Mawile - because if one was to look at it from the front, it's not that bad. I just threw it out here because of her 'naive' personality; it might be just me, but I could totally see her catching a Mawile and not realizing the hair-mouth until she sends it out from the pokeball.
  • Wooper. C'mon, those are cute :c
  • Flaafy
  • Slowpoke/Girafarig/Rattata. Just coz.
  • Furred Pokemon such as Growlithe or Poochyena.
  • Skitty/Eevee/Snubbull/Vulpix - commonly seen as 'cute'. In the cases of Eevee or Vulpix, they usually are owned by kids from 'rich' families whether it be due to how exotic they are or something in that line... although Eevee tends to be everywhere in fanfics that I've seen.

Donking the Slaking //prepares to be bricked at

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]