It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150  Next
Team purple! THE awesome color! (Come join in! Event gone) 

I'm doing quite alright, having fun exploring the map again, mostly doing work and college.
    And no problem, thank you for asking~
    Ooo that fantsatic! How are you liking it so far? And what are you going for if you don't mind my asking.

-----------------------------------
Steam: Yugi Schiffer Journal Tumblr
ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ
3DS Friend Code: 4957-7165-9661

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:27 pm

Welcome back, Yugi<3 :)

Image Image Image
Part of the team that unlocked bonuses in the Halloween event 2011
(Credit to Cykotyks, for awesome halloween banner/sprites)

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:35 am

Yugi That's good to hear! :D Do you have some sort of mini job that you can go to college and work at the same time?

My major is media and communication studies with the side subject informatics \o/ I like it, university is so international which gives me the chance to meet so many interesting people from all over the world! My professors and the people I got to know so far are all super nice and the subjects are cool!
But it's definitely not like school, at all. I still have to figure out how to do things but I already learnt a lot within one week |D

WISHLIST SHOP AUCTION BUYING

Hi there! If you want to stay in touch, feel free to add me or drop me a line! :)
              ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
              tumblr: narubabe.tumblr.com
              twitter: @seikothings
              email & facebook: pm me!

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:02 am
Profile ICQ

Hey Eve! Thanks for the welcome. How have you been faring? It's been forever.

Wow that's a lot, but you'll do wonderfully I'm sure Seiko!
    And agreed. So many people from so many different places is a wonderful experience, not only for you but for them too!
    Different is definitely the word for it. It's not a bad different though, usually. It's enlightening to some measure.
    Hah yeah, because there's such a short time, like about 3 months, they cram everything.
    My advice is to seek help if you need it, it's not a bad thing at all, and take the time to look over your notes.
    Even if you don't practice anything, at least read them before you go to bed.

I actually work full time, but since I only have two classes a week it isn't bad.
    It's just so much more work out of the class than what I'm used to, and I already have my masters. >.<

ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Thank you, I hope that you're right and everything will work out just fine! :')
The first two weeks were hard. Today is the first day I'm not going to do anything as I did all the relevant things yesterday, but that makes me feel a bit bad lol.
I summarize so many things and read so many texts that I hardly have the time and strength to read anything before going to sleep. ''orz

However, I always try to do everything as soon as possible, right after my classes if it's possible, so I always reread the slides when I create my summaries/learn papers!

Oh my god, so you have a master degree? Dang, I admire that! I hope that things won't get to tough - I'm sure that if you were able to get this far in life, this will work out just fine as well ♥

Hi there! If you want to stay in touch, feel free to add me or drop me a line! :)

Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:54 am
Profile ICQ

As long as you're patient and keep at it, or don't give up, you'll do wonderfully.
    Hah it really is a weird feeling. It's like, I should be doing something, but there's nothing left to do.

Well if you do all of that you don't really need to read before bed then! You're already a pro.
    I know most of my teachers always wanted us to look over our notes from the last lecture to "refresh our minds".
    However there is no refreshing a college student's mind.

Yup, I just got it earlier this year. I had to give up my winter break and cram, but it was worth it!
    It was similar to cleaning an entire house in one day, and then being able to lay back onto the couch and go "ahhh".

The only hard part from here on out is finding and keeping a job. However I'm not picky as to where that job is.
    I'll go to America or Sweden if I have to.
    Which is also the fun part, seeing where life will take you.
    But the class I'm doing has a lot of building computers from and programing from scratch. щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ

Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:49 pm

It's good to hear someone talk about this who's got so many experience!
I'm glad I know that so many other first semester like me have their problems to adjust to university life because it's on a whole different level than school.
But we all try our best, and I'm currently fine with the system I used in the past two weeks. I'll see how it'll work out in the long run but I think summarizing the slides and trying to read the texts (partly) before the classes is a good start :)

Lmao all teachers love to say such things. It's like they forget that we have 4641582 other things to do and by the time you have the next lecture, you already forgot about the last as you had to read and do so many other things in between. OTL

God, I know that feeling of finally accomplishing something. This "Aaahh" moment is one of the best things in the world imo!

I admire people like you who say that they're willing to go pretty much everywhere to have a job. I'm definitely more picky and a scaredy-cat so... I'd be fine with a lot of countries but, for example, America is definitely a place I would never accept as my home.

Wait! I hope I didn't misunderstand - does that mean you build computers and program them in your class?

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:14 am
Profile ICQ

Ah yes, it's nice to know that so many other people have been in the same boat. Which allows for a lot of advice to be found!
    Also it's inspiring and hopeful seeing the people who have gone to college, stuck it out, and are now very comfortable with their life.
    Definitely a good start! (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و Most don't even study and bomb the first test/quiz. (;•͈́༚•͈̀)

Haha it's almost like they forget what it was like when they were our age and in school.
    As if they actually knew what they were doing the first time and didn't cry in frustration. (≧д≦ヾ)

Aww thanks, but I'm picky as well. I would definitely try other avenues first if I didn't like one particular thing about a job.
    Being scared though is totally natural. You don't know what to expect really, and with no connections in a country it's like from scratch. Which is hard to adjust to, but you grow into the role eventually.

But yeah, definitely wouldn't want to live in America. (◎益◎;)
    I already stayed for a period of time and it was infuriating, so living there is out of the question.
    For me atleast. I'm sure some people absolutely love the country. It is beautiful, it's finding the right place to settle that's daunting.
    What place would you want to live in the most? (or at least try living there heh)

Yes that's exactly what we're doing. It's a four week course, so one week of hardware lectures, one week of software lectures, one week of other appliances lectures (printers, electrical, etc.), and then the last week is the tests. Which include making your own computer and letting the professor check out how it runs and how it is inside.
    I'm currently using the computer I made to browse the internet and other tasks a common person would use it for.

ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:44 am

That's right! It's weird to see people from higher semester being all happy because I was so scared to start this new period of my life that I couldn't sleep the first two nights.
But then I slowly got to know a few people, my professors... and it seems like most of them really enjoy their life, and they don't talk about university like it's hell or anything. It seems a bit like it at first but I suppose it'll get better with each semester ; w ;)

Lmao yes. Maybe teachers and professors are simply so into their subject that they forget that for some people it's new and hard to understand.
I mean, I'm a private tutor and lots of things are natural for me which are extremely hard for others. That's something you really have to learn: That you used to struggle as well and that you have to teach someone from the very beginning :D

It's still admirable that people do such things despite being scared. I always feel like everybody around me is so brave and confident, it's like they don't even need any kind of help or reassurance because they seem to be so sure.
But... I simply don't feel like this. If I'm truly scared, I'll try to find a way to avoid such a situation x') Idk how others do it but I hope that I won't miss cool chances because of that!

If I had to choose a place in America... I couldn't really decide!? All I know is that I'd definitely pick a country that is democratic because Republican opinions are not my cup of tea. At all.
So I guess I'd end up at the east or west coast of the USA. Oh, and I'd never choose a country with extreme weather because heatwaves and snowstorms are a big no-go!
Where did you live in America, if it's okay for me to ask you that?

Eep─! That's so cool that you do that! Is there a special reason why you chose this course? I assume that informatics and computer are generally things that have always interested you? :)a

Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:56 am
Profile ICQ

Haha gosh I know what you mean. But I figured that eventually they realized the same thing, that college isn't as terrifying and as hard as everyone chalked it up to be.
    I would have been happier to even attend college in the first place if I knew how it really was. All they would have had to say, hey it's just like regular school, except it's not mandatory you go there everyday and you have more responsibility for yourself.
    [because an 18 year old totally knows how to do everything] (◐ω◑ )
    From what I've sen, a lot of people take the harder courses first, and get them out of the way, then they just sail on through with all of their electives and easier classes at the end.
    That's one reason the seniors/juniors seem happier. Less workload/stress.

That's something I had to learn too, because I would go on a tangent about the subject I was explaining. I get passionate sometimes, mostly from the subject, but also from giving the person the opportunity to learn something new.
    My freshman chemistry teacher was like that though. She expected us to all have taken an advanced class in highschool, "And we should know dis" in her accent. I did take an advanced class and was still lost.
    Terrible way to start off but hopefully others got a bit luckier.

It's understandable, everyone has doubts of what the future might hold. But what we must believe in is the positive end of it all, and our own ability. Yourself is the only person who will always have your back. Knowing that has always brought me strength to do the things I've willing done and are a requirement to do.
    I have no idea if this makes sense since I'm terrible in explaining things and English isn't my strongest.
    But basically if everything else seems against you or nothing is going exactly as you plan, at least still believe in yourself and your capability.

And who knows why that person may seem so sure in their endeavors. Maybe they have done something like that before, maybe someone is guiding them, perhaps blind optimism? It's different for everyone, but even though they're smiling about and excited, they're probably still worry. It's natural.
    As long as you keep that in mind, that you don't want your nervousness or worries to get in the way, you can find the strength to power through this. Regret is one of the worst feelings to have, and it's a very powerful factor in driving people, once they've experienced it.

The coasts are always more open to outside influences which is nice, it's refreshing.
    I think maybe if the U.S stopped being so divided in opinions and beliefs, and focused on the tolerance it was founded on; it would draw people to move in again. But I totally understand where you're coming from.
    All I know is if you go to the west and a bit south from the diving point, there's some really nice weather there.
    Rarely gets freezing, snow is very powdery and light. Heat wave at least once a summer.
    You are more than welcome to ask me anything! (๑•́ω•̀๑)
    I used to live in New Jersey with my mom. It wasn't that bad because my high school was pretty accepting, but I couldn't wait till college ended so I could run. lol

Well my degree is in Engineering so I'm trying to figure out what engineering I want to go into.
    I tried biology, medical, and now computers. If this doesn't spark my interest it's off to chemistry.
    But yes, they have always interested me and I did dabble into some basic coding in high school and early college years.
    Nice little time waster on the side.
    Plus I figured I could build computers and sell them for some extra money for people who have no idea how to.

What made you get into Media and Communication with informatics? And did you ever live in the U.S, if you don't mind me asking. ( ◞・౪・)
    [Oh cod I rambled on wayyyy too much. sorry! It's just a big block of red text, geez.]

ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ

Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:01 am

I see! Yes, I totally agree on that. Teachers shouldn't make such a big fuss about all this. It only scares students away because you don't have to be a genius to accomplish something.
But most people never even try because people keep saying that it's like hell. I mean, it's hard and new and everything. But tons of "normal" people like me go there so it's worth a try. I think |D

I'm thankful that my professors aren't like that :') All of my courses pretty much start from the very beginning. What's science? What's communication? And so forth.
We slowly (more or less) get introduced to the real topic of our classes and everything. Typical first semester stuff, I suppose hehe~

Your explanation was good to understand and I know what you mean! I'm usually someone who's always in doubt when it comes to my own abilities. I always consider myself not being good enough for anything because I always feel like a dumb spring chicken. Does that make sense to you?
A certain amount of positivity and confidence is surely essential to get through harder times, especially when no one else is there to comfort or support you!

Totally agreed on "regret" topic─! That feeling is truly the worst, it's like you missed a chance to grow stronger, to grow wiser, to make your life better in some sort of way. I know that lots of experiences aren't that great or important in the end, but every experience is something you can learn from. I hope I'll be able to become more and more brave to do things that scare me!

Lmao! New Jersey, wow! But why did you feel the need to go away after college? Was it the people and their mentality or...? D:

About building computers and everything, my dad has been doing this for over a decade now which gave him some nice extra money beside his regular job!
There's this problem that a lot of computers, laptops and smartphones are already so technologically advanced, that it's not as easy to exchange their inner parts like you could "back in the old days" lol.
At least that's how it feels like. So many companies want to make money so it's understandable why they try to make it impossible for people like you to simply do everything yourself ; o ;)
Or what are your experiences as an engineer so far?

Sadly, I've never been to another continent... A little bit too expensive for my family so we prefer traveling through European countries! But I definitely want to visit some placed in America for the beautiful nature and the giant cities~ \o/

And I choose these majors because I once visited a big city with three friends and we took our time to inform ourselves about all sorts of majors (the schools/universities sent a few students to a big hall and you could ask them questions and just see what sounds interesting for you). There have been two students who studied something similar and I was SO fascinated when they talked about all the things they learnt and did in school!
And ofc, I always loved using my computer, watching movies and analyzing series and texts, I wanted a chance to use my English skills, and I fell in love with its many facets (psychology, economy, sociology) as well so... yeah!
I just adore that it combines so many things because I want to do something that never gets boring, that always makes me want to learn and know more and and and ♥ Aaaa! xD

(I had informatics for three years in high school and it was one of my best and favorite subjects! But the first semester is just math and it's so abstract and hard... ... OTL)

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:28 am
Profile ICQ

There would be so many more people actually joining college I believe, and perhaps actually looking forward t it like I did. But college isn't for everyone, which is also nice because that means there are so many different routes to take in life!
    Exactly! I don't know if it's a scare tactic to only get serious people to come in, but quite a lot of people just drop out for one reason or another so it doesn't work either way. Or perhaps it's also to get people t study more before college so they're better off in the beginning? But yes, it is worth at least taking a semester.
    "normal" hehehe!

Mmm yes! Teachers like that are pretty much the best you can get. I'm glad you got them though, it's nice to break in the first semester with a smooth start like that.
    I know my first Sociology teacher was the best one I've ever had. So so so so kind! And absolutely hilarious.
    If people just knew how many great teachers there are it would take a lot of stress off of college sometimes, or even the mentality that everything is extremely serious.

Yes that does make sense. It's completely relatable where you come from too.
    And no matter what you accomplish, that doubt will always linger and be there.
    Definitely! Even if it's a bit of a false positivity, it can lead to something greater than the current situation as long as it doesn't get you too down and sad overall. Things certainly will get better, because there is always hope.
    A bit cliche, but works.
    "Things are okay, things will be okay, things always turn out to be okay." Which is pretty much my motto in life.

Indeed! It's bad enough that you're kicking yourself in the butt, but I've seen how life can get back at some people who've missed an opportunity. (butt but. hahahaha /so childish/)
    One step is to watch scary movies, then the next is to watch them in a language you don't understand so you feel just as lost and silly as the cast. (^ワ^=)

Family for one reason. But for an actual reason, I felt...excluded. That people always stereotyped me and treated me like I actually had that personality. Typical Russian stereotypes are sometimes not the best, and a lot of people got nasty with it, wherever I went. Especially older people if I even opened my mouth to say thanks for holding a door. I couldn't even get a job. So I was more or so forced to move to get better, and less judgemental, opportunities. Even if i'm not the biggest fan of this country either, I'm going to stick it out because at least the everyday person doesn't treat foreigners like crap. But for all the beef Russia gets for being closed minded, that's mostly the politics making a bad name. And so far, it's 100x more open than America most of the time.
    So yeah, basically, the mentalities. (⚈᷁₋̮₍⚈᷁)

Wow good for him! That takes a lot of a dedication, especially for a constantly evolving field.
    Laptops and phones are pretty much come solely from the companies. Heck just to get a phone or laptop fixed costs an arm and a leg.
    But it's the desktop computers that are still going strong, especially for people who want a gaming one. All of the parts needed take up a lot of space so making something customized is where the money's at so to speak.
    But agreed, finding parts for a good price is really hard. ( ・ัω・ั; )

Flying over oceans is a ton of money, let alone staying there for a bit. Hotels will eat your wallet alive.
    Traveling through europe is amazing, mostly since everything is connected and sometimes it's hard you crossed a border just looking at the landscape itself. Going north to south, or vice versa, is so cool because there's so many centuries worth of work all over and the difference in cultures and buildings is astonishing.
    And America is nothing to sneeze at either! The landscape is untouched, mostly between the two mountain ranges.
    Definitely recommend New York City for a pretty and big city though. And then the Appalachian mountain range is so cool to drive through, along with Shenandoah National Park. The west coast/west in general has some really pretty places too. (*´∀`*)

Wow that story is inspiring in itself. It's great to have something like that with you.
    Getting bored of your career is the worst mid life crisis there could really be, so having something that broad is wonderful to be in!
    So many chances to explore what it offers.
    Oh I just love hearing about people's passions, it allows to get a chance to see what they type of person they are. And you Seiko, you seem like a really awesome person. I'm glad I've had the chance to speak with you. Thank you.

Wow they actually thought that in high school. That's so cool. Tell your school to call mine and give it some advice. hehehe (ง ◕ั⌑◕ั)ว ⁾

[I should just put this all into a spoiler so it doesn't take up a page and a half.]

ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:13 pm

I just wanted to say, this is a very interesting discussion you guys are having! I don't really know what to say about it (or where to even begin commenting) but I've read it, so that counts for something, right? Haha

Yugi Schiffer wrote:

The only hard part from here on out is finding and keeping a job. However I'm not picky as to where that job is.
    I'll go to America or Sweden if I have to.
    Which is also the fun part, seeing where life will take you.
    But the class I'm doing has a lot of building computers from and programing from scratch. щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

I have to ask, my friend, what made you think of Sweden? :o

Image Image Image

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:15 am

Yugi Just to warn you beforehand, I text so many people that I like postponing answers. So don't take it personally if I might take awhile to reply! :')

I truly think that having amazing professors/teachers is extremely important. A lot of subjects used to be my least favorite ones just because I couldn't handle the teacher well. I never have problems with them, always being their little sunshine lmao.
But I need teachers who actually teach me new stuff, you can talk passionately about a new topic, who truly understand the content and can explain it with lots of examples and so forth.
I just... you can feel who actually knows sh*t and who doesn't and I simply adore people who can spark my interest and passion for something just by people who love what they do!

Gosh, I hope that wasn't too confusing now hehe |D

I always try to remember your life motto when I feel down or when I question my own abilities... I try but I not always succeed at it. The future scares me a lot, especially because I'm so afraid of being a failure at everything I do. And sometimes, when I was able to accomplish something, it feels like it's just not good enough. Comparing myself with others has always been a disgusting part of my personality. *sigh* But I try, and I hope that someday I'll stop with that o/

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been treated like this in the past! That's horrible to fight against prejudices and stereotypes because you cannot win with that. It's not you who's problematic but the people who assume stuff just because of your origin. Really, they should try to reflect what kind of people THEY are because their behavior is super toxic.
Of course, we all have our own culture and typical dishes and typical clothes and whatnot and that can confuse foreigners or make them laugh or even make them angry. That's just how it is to live with people. People in Russia, people in America, people everywhere... we are so similar to each other when it comes to so many points, seriously.

Agreed on the America part. A few Americans like to pretend that they're the kings of the world but they're so far behind when it comes to equality and safety and freedom that they should sit down and look how other countries handle things. Because there are tons of countries who do these things SO MUCH better. We all have to learn more, that is, but America is truly not a good role model. Which is why I also understand why you'd go to Sweden! One of my top favorite countries when I look the the political and economical status they have! And on a side note, I always wanted to go there during wintertime to stay in a small cabin in the middle of a big forest, cuddling with someone at a fireplace lol.

Sorry, that's so kitschy and cliché but it makes me feel giddy and happy so please let me dream~!

All these beautiful places and chances are high I'll never see them with my own two eyes ( ; v ;") why oh why am i poor

Asdfghjklsdfgh; Oh my god, thank you for that super kind compliment! I've been in a weird mood these days but that truly cheered me up ♥ So thank you again! You seem to be so kind and endearing, I hope that the path you're taking in life will give you lots of joy and the possibility to get to know people who'll treasure you from tip to toe!

*slams fist on table* I'll drag the principal myself, what's the number of your school?!

Here a hard-working kaomoji to remind you and Eev to never give up on your dreams:
ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:59 am
Profile ICQ

Hey jump in anywhere Eve! Doesn't matter what it's about. Could be a personal experience or your opinion on things. Heck it could even be about the great weather we're having. /snowstorm demolishes house/
    Well I visited Sweden before and even though I had no idea what anyone was saying, it was a nice experience so it had a lasting impression on me. They took the time to deal with a foreigner understandably and respectfully, and found me help if I needed it.
    I don't know if it was luck that there were so many nice people at the time or what, but things like that go a long way.

Pfft it's fine Seiko! Take your time, I wouldn't even be offended if you stopped replying all together.
    I understand other things matter more. This conversation's responses are really, really long too.
    It takes me like an hour to type up responses sometimes. Between being distracted by my animals, myself, and just trying to think of the words to say it's like, wow getting this done feels good.

Teachers can make or break a class or even a subject. It takes a special someone to be successful at teaching.
    Yeah I know where you're coming at, you explained it well! And I agree fully. If someone can get your mind racing and blood pumping in anticipation of a class or to actually learn, it's probably the best thing the teacher could have done for that student. Now they're open to the subject and are willing to go down that path of careers if it interests them enough.
    And about the feeling who knows what they're doing or not is also quite true. Once you pick up on that fact it changes the outlook of the entire thing I believe. People tend to lose faith in what they're learning and brush it off, not knowing if the material is actually right or not.

I think society has always been hung up on being the best, that people forget that being "okay" and "average" is totally acceptable too. As long as you personally feel that you did your best, and you're comfortable with the results, it'll be fine. It took me awhile to understand that. I've been very hard on myself, critiquing every little thing I did. From not being able to develop my own art style, to not getting an 'A' in every class. But really it's a waste of time that you could spend being pleased and happy. It's natural to always want to improve and to have more, but that should never be the sole driver in an experience.
    So good luck discovering your own stability in life, and in yourself. You'll get there one day as long as you keep trying.
    And even if you don't ever stop comparing yourself, take a different take on it. Take it on as a challenge, or a promise to yourself that you will surely improve. Seeing other's success shouldn't make you feel bad about your own. There will always be different levels of it because no two events or experiences are exactly the same. And the other person may just know something you don't yet, but all of that will come in time.

The only good thing that came out of it was that it was humbling. I wasn't arrogant or anything, it just made me realize anyone could be a victim of something. And yeah, you can't win. Even when confronted, people always hide behind "it's a joke. You're overreacting."
    But to be honest we're all super hypocritical sometimes, it's natural to be hard on other people but not ourselves.
    Correct, everyone is different, even if it's only slightly. But at the same time we're more similar than we want to realize as well.
    We all have our beliefs, likes, dislikes, breaking points, but because of that we have to be tolerant and accepting. Having to get to know someone before judging or knowing what you can joke with or be sensitive about, because everyone gets easily offended at something.
    However no one wants to take the time to do that.

Mmm the arrogance of anyone really grinds my gears so to speak. No one is perfect, we all have maturing to do. Even if you're 90 it doesn't automatically mean you know everything and that you're always right! /rant over/
    America is really blocked off from the world though. From the time I was there, I never saw anything of global news or things beyond the U.S. Nothing.
    The only news station I found that dealt with that stuff only really talked about their own opinions about the subject. There was little to no facts available. Going out of your way to find it was the only way to know what was really going on.
    From this point of view, it's understandable how so many people are self centered. Hopefully, they're just ignorant and are actually open to learning a thing or two.
    Sweden is amazing, and it has it's downfalls like everything of course. But it feels more tolerable at least.

Hehehe dream on! Focus on that dream and harness its power and you will eventually get there one day!
    And just because you are poor now doesn't mean you won't ever have some spare money to go traveling.
    Especially if you start saving a bit when you're comfortable to do that.
    Just from saving all my loose change or small amounts of money over the last two years, I almost have enough to theoretically take a little trip to France.

Oh I'm so glad it did! You deserve so many more compliments I'm sure. Just give me a bit to type them all out. ;3

Hahaha! Even if you did call no one ever picks up their phones anyway.

Same to you!!!!
    Welp that's going into my signature somehow. Watch me fit it.

ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Yugi Schiffer wrote:

Sweden is amazing, and it has it's downfalls like everything of course. But it feels more tolerable at least.

This is a very interesting statement because it seems like Sweden has a reputation of being a very tolerant country. Now, it needs to be said that I have never stayed or lived in a foreign country for longer than (give or take) two weeks, but I suppose as far as equality goes, Sweden is in vast opinion a very tolerant country. This is very interesting to me because there are very split opinions in the country about whether or not to consider ourselves a part of a tolerant society. In a way I think many people would say that Sweden is a fairly tolerant, although unequal, country. However, as I try to tell you more about equality in my country, I feel the need to tell you that I am both of middle class (one would say very privileged to live in Stockholm with a steady economic situation), cis-gender (I relate to my gender of birth, the opposite of trans) and of white skin color.

I am telling you this because these privileges are very much considered in the swedish debate of equality and oppression. We have a term; "tolknings företräde" that translates to "interpretive prerogative" which in short is a way to say that, in a debate or discussion, those who are affected by an oppression (ex. sexism, rasism, etc.) have the first call (biggest right) to talk about and define how that oppression shows itself. For an example: "Trisha is of dark skin-color and has tolkningsföreträde in the question of how afro-sweds are treated in the workplace." or "I don't have tolkningsföreträde so I can't say for sure but I think that a lot of women of islam get treated badly because of their religious clothing". This is a very complex and discussed term, because some claim that it is the opposite of "freedom of speach" (which is one of Swedens fundamental laws), while some claim that it is a very useful term to help less privileged get their voices heard and to keep privileged people from taking over the voices of those who are actually effected by sexism, for example.

I think generally, there are different ways for countries to be tolerant, and although Sweden is full of young feminists and anti-rasist, we do still have an xenophobic party which grows every year and had Swedens third biggest election numbers last election. On the more positive side, all other parties have deliberately chosen to separate themselves from this party ("The Sweden democrats") and taken a stand against the xenophobia. However, as a consequence, it can be discussed if this does not give them extra (sympathy) votes because the other parties refuse to discuss immigration and integration problems with the Sweden democrats. Generally, this attitude is understandable because their politicians have been seen writing rasist comments on internet forums and even wearing svastikas on private parties.

At the same time, if you ask me, Sweden does have big integration problems. Lately, the feminist and communistic parties have received criticism from inside the party for overlooking filicide/honor killing in a blind trust for other cultures and religions to be humanistic and treat their women with equality and respect. This is generally a bigger problem in the suburbs where immigration is high (which is a consequence of bad integration) but these things do of course happen in the central areas of Stockholm as well.

So, um, summary:
Sweden is active in discussing equality and oppression but actually not the most equal country in the world. However, it can often (at least in younger generations) be obvious for most people that nazism, rasism, homophobia and sexism are not okay (note that I live in central Stockholm and not an rich suburb, because they can generally be worse at these things). We still have rasism and sexism which leads to TW
Spoiler: show
sexual violence and the fact that rap3 is often not treated seriously in Swedish court
. I believe that there are countries that have more frequent cases of hate crimes, but again, I don't have tolkningsföreträde. So I would say, Sweden is quite tolerant but, like any other country really, not equal and bad things happen although maybe not as often? I can't really say for sure. Unsure if this was useful or not, haha. Again, please remember that this is only may interpretation from the debates and discussions I've heard and that I am only one person! =)

Image Image Image

Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:21 pm

-claps for the very informative and to-the-point essay-
    You seem to be very much into politics which is admirable Eve, I would never be able to keep up with it willingly.

But yes all of what you said seems true from what I have observed from my time there and afar.
    The least I can say is at least they're acknowledging that there are suppressed groups of people, and they seem to understand that they can be very easily overshadowed and overruled by the "big guys" so to speak.
    And there still is freedom of speech, but even with the "normal" one, a certain class or body of people bend the ear of the government easier than others. So instead of just pure ignorant opinion, people that have actual experiences and live the life are able to have more ground to stand are which is wonderful. Facts should rule above personal feelings, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered at all.

No system of government is perfect, but some are better than others and trying is what counts the most. There will always be corruption because people are weak to greed. "Only the strong survive", but what is considered strong has changed throughout he decades.

I hope that makes sense and it doesn't sound dumb, but that was such a good read. Thank you for that!
    Learned so much more today than I ever did in high school!

ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:17 pm

What in gods name I'm not used to such long posts.

Yugi This might sound horrible, but I literally cannot remember who you are :I
I guess all I can say is welcome back!

Eev Sorry Eev, I could not bother to read all of that >:)

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:44 am
Profile WWW

So much text and so little motivation to type ; o ;) Sorry, guys!
I've been summarizing so many things and ended up filling 22 pages in just two days. I just... I need a break. A very long break that I won't get because things are just staring lmao

I've read both texts, though, I hope you don't think I'm ignore anything you two said! Thank you, Eev, for the insight of Sweden's political and social situation! It's always more interesting to get informed by someone who actually knows what's going on. As someone who has never been to Sweden, I can only say things I've read and heard from others. It doesn't differ much to the things you told us about but it's still nice to get some subjective opinion about all this as well o/

Honestly, I just need some time to relax my poor fingers for awhile so that's all I'm gonna say to this :')

Btw, Yugi, the kaomoji looks superb in your signature ♥
I agree to pretty much everything you said in the long text you posted and I hope that you'll be able to enjoy yourself with the money you've saved up so far! But don't forget that you should never spend all the money you have at once, you can never know what happens in the near future! ;) Did you mention France just as a random example or is this something you've considered doing for real?

Eldy Hey there! How have you been doing?

Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08 am
Profile ICQ

That's okay Eldtama! I don't think I've ever spoken/seen you either.
    I pretty much made two posts when I first joined then disappeared.
    So it's nice to meet you!
    Also I'm sorry about the really long posts. I most likely started it all.

It's like a food fight with alphabet soup.

Heh my apologies about all that typing Seiko! But hey, your fingers must have some bulging muscles now. ;3
    But yes, take some time to relax.
    Well it's all thanks to you for spreading the joy of that kaomoji!
    Oh no it's not like my life savings or anything. It's literally a jar I stuffed all of my pocket change into.
    (I need to buy a bigger jar)
    And a bit of both. I know how to speak French and I've always wanted to visit again, because it's just such a beautiful place.
    Plus last time I went I didn't get a chance to see any of the Louvre or try much food, so I have to make up for it!

ᕙ( * •̀ ᗜ •́ * )ᕗ

Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150  Next