It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Forum Suggestions 

How about a subboard for the Roleplaying section where one could basically post any and all of their characters? This would be a place to flesh out a character more than the rp they are in demands or for a fandom that the character they used in the rp wasn't apart of originally.

Image Image

Fri May 11, 2012 7:52 pm
Leading King

Unsure how much use that section would see, but if more people wish for it, then sure.

Twitter | Reversed Side A archive

Please, ask VDex gameplay questions in the help forum.

Spoiler: show
Image Image

Sat May 12, 2012 9:23 am
Profile WWW

About the "necroposting" rule... in some subforums, there is generally not much activity. Sadly, these often are the forums with the most interesting discussions.
Taking the "serious discussion" forum as an example, there are many threads on the first page that haven't been active for more than a month, but the last word has hardly been said, and they *seem* recent, being on the first page.

Now I don't really get the benefit of the necropost-rule, anyway, but I accept it as a rule of this forum. Only I wonder if the mods/admins might consider extending the "expiry date" a bit, at least in less active parts of the forum.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:34 am

The rule in question is phrased like this:
Quote:
If a topic is very old, avoid posting a reply unless you have something relevant to say. Topics that have gone over a month without replies fall into this rule.

I'm pretty sure that you're allowed to post in an old topic in the forums you've mentioned as long as your reply has some substance and/or is made with the intention to revive the discussion. I'd say that strict application of that rule is mainly for forum sections that are meant to be active for a certain timespan only, such as official topics, quests and trades, introductions, etc.

I don't want your love unless you know I am repulsive,
    and love me even as you know it. (Georges Bataille)

MAL / goodreads / Backloggery

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:37 am

(extracted from a post written for another thread, it seemed more suitable for Suggestions than the conversation)

I can tell that you're(Shiro) against people trying to find ways to search for information on excluded terms (ie, every legendary Pokemon's name, words like "the" and "ball" make sense), so a suggestion from me, who admits to having used the now disabled wildcard for that purpose, to return asterisks but impose flood controls(limiting an individuals searches to once every 30 seconds, for example) would be poorly received, but I'm curious of the feasibility of the other, more direct option - allowing the legendaries names.
I've always wondered if they were a preventative measure, a fix, or something that gets automatically created based on search queries.

I know that I personally generate more than a few searches trying to find a combination of terms related to the legendary Pokemon I'm looking for that will yield relevant results, and if nothing can be found with the search, browsing through pages of threads in pertinent forums, and opening many more in search for info. I can't be the only one who generates that much traffic trying to find information for a legendary or other difficultyl named items (ie: shiny ball, thankfully shinyball works). The Estimated Values thread would probably have many fewer posts about common ledgendaries if it weren't basically illegal to look them up. I haven't been a member since the beginning - before legendaries were excluded as search terms, did they caused the site debilitating lag? Is pulling up all the results for "mewtwo" as often as is requested worse than for "eevee" or the complex workarounds that people have to do? I understand that the stress of the site pulling up answers in less than a second is worse than when spread out over the hours that a user might have to slog through threads to find something themselves, if at all, but I feel like if it were possible to avoid those toils it would be widely appreciated.

Please don't make me the reason eevee gets added to the excluded terms list. I'm pretty sure everyone would really hate me for that. DX

ImageImage
trainer sprite by NekoYami

Hunting: Dp2 eevee/Espeon, HGSS Vaporeon, Shiny Shadow Suicune

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:30 pm
Leading King

I wouldn't know how to do that. I don't control the excluded items list - things get excluded because they return too many matches, aka people use this or that word too often.

Image Image

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:35 pm
Profile WWW

Ah, so it is automated. That's too bad, but I see it can't be helped. That clears a lot up a lot of the things I wasn't sure of up, too. If the system says so, people really do try to search a lot more for "mewtwo" than for "eevee" - Hopefully it doesn't start encroaching on many more of the currently safe terms! XD

Thankyou!

ImageImage

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:43 pm
Leading King

It's not what people search for the most often - it's which words are used in forum posts the most often.

Image Image

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:50 pm
Profile WWW

Ah! *wonders if someone spamming a word would get it excluded and whether it's proportionate* Eevee returned 37k results when I looked, so the legendaries that are excluded must be dang common subjects!

I should stop using the "E" word, now, lest I tip the balance. Also, I should stp bothering you with this. No one likes the overly inquisitive deconstructive me. XD

ImageImage

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Can a quick reply button be in threads since it's sometimes quicker to post. That's why it's called "Quick" when you want to post something quick.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:36 pm
Leading King

I didn't make the forums, so my ability to modify them is limited, sorry.

Image Image

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:22 am
Profile WWW

I have a suggestion and sorry in advance if it has been suggested already. I find the tag a user mod quite useful especially when for example: You are in a club and a lot of people are talking and someone asks you specifically or you want to say something to someone but a few people have already posted before you. Let's say you do post to the one person but your posts gets buried under everyone else's or perhaps said person never subscribed to said forum. The tag a user mod allows you to keep your conversation going without worrying about it getting lost. Of course this applies to any of the other forums as well, not just the clubs section.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/user_mention_mod/

After installing the mod correctly, you should be able to do @[insert username here] and the person you tagged would get a PM saying they were tagged and they could click on the link in the PM and taken to your post. Please let me know if there is anything wrong with this suggestion so I may improve upon it. Also it should be compatible for your forum version.

RAINBOW

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:16 pm
Leading King

Hm that looks fairly neat, I like that it's opt-in, too... but the main problem is that phpBB deletes old messages to make room for new ones, which could end up deleting important messages just because a person got mentioned a lot. :(a

Image Image

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:34 pm
Profile WWW

I went and looked in the User CP and saw that the default for folder action is to delete oldest messages. Users are able to change that so it moves to a certain folder that they can make themselves, you could also see if you can change the default yourself in setting otherwise users can change the Setting by doing: User CP >> Rules, Folders & Settings From there they can create whatever folder they wish by naming it whatever they want and then they can select which folder old messages go to or move certain important messages into a separate folder and just let the tag PMs get deleted if they wish. I don't know if that made any sense or not. XD

RAINBOW

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:40 am
Leading King

Yes, but messages within folders are also limited. Once every folder is full, you can't make more folders or store more messages.

Image Image

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 am
Profile WWW

Well at that point, wouldn't it be up to the user to prevent their inbox from overflowing? They up to 100 slots for mail, which I feel is quite enough plus you can make more, it would just be up to the user to delete any unwanted message. I also found another mod that will help users keep track of how full their inbox is by the form of a bar that turns red when near to full.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/p ... ress_bars/

Also just another neat mod is the ability to search PMs if a user does have a lot and doesn't wish to look through them.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/pm_search/

They both should be compatible, the second is just a small suggestion separate from this one. Otherwise there isn't much that can be done about the limited room for PMs but the bar mod should help users know when it is time for them to clear their boxes, it works for custom folders as well.

RAINBOW

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:42 am
Leading King

Except a user's inbox could overflow overnight in a particularly active/busy topic? A giveaway, for instance. Just the same as it should be up to a user to keep their inbox from overflowing it should also be their responsibility to check back and see if there is a response. Or, if someone never gets a response, they can just shoot the user a PM directly.

This won't be added, sorry. It is convenient, but there are ways to contact a user other than compulsory PMing every time they get mentioned, especially when this system could be used to grief/harass someone. Wouldn't go unpunished, but damage prevention is better than damage control.

Image Image

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:46 am
Profile WWW

Alright, thanks for the feedback. Better to suggest something and get it rejected then never suggesting and always wondering. XD

RAINBOW

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:50 am

I know you don't code the forums but would there be a way to take certain topics off of the "view your posts" section, like forums I do not participate in anymore?

youtube
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 pm

you mean remove them from the list of posts you've made?
short of deleting the forum or the posts, no. that would defeat the point of the feature.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next