It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
TM Thief "buff" 

as a disclaimer i don't think tm thief is in a really good spot right now, and i'm aware shiro has promised to revert the nerf back to 1% per minute at some point.

my idea for thief would be a little bit different: rather than getting the items through refreshing, you would have a small chance to get an item that you would usually get from thief from the pokemons that are holding an item when caught.

for example: you caught a beedrill holding a berry, now there is say, a 1/x chance that it would be holding a rarer item, such as old amber.

i'm not sure how hard would it be to code such thing, but it sounds a little bit more "attractive".

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:32 pm
Leading King

Some of the TMs were pretty poorly done, in hindsight, and Thief was one of them. Sadly, making it work on caught Pokémon would just encourage people to catch massive amounts of Pokémon (and release them after) looking for rare items. This is also the reason why held items aren't very good on caught Pokémon. Basically, it was poorly balanced. Even the way it is now encourages people to auto-refresh for items, unfortunately, so I really don't think there is much of a way to salvage the item unless it's completely reformulated (and at this point, that'd take more coding than is possible to do).

Chalk it up to inexperience making games, I guess. :( So much I'd do differently today.

Twitter | Reversed Side A archive

Please, ask VDex gameplay questions in the help forum.

Spoiler: show
Image Image

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:58 am
Profile WWW

idk how often you're supposed to get items with Thief now..
but I've had it on my lead pokemon for like 6 months, and haven't got a single item :(

>> My shop <<
Wishlist | Journal
DeviantArt | youTube
Top monsters site | Demo 0.1

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:09 am

A few years ago I found a 6hr berry here and there, but I haven't gotten anything in the past few weeks... I know nothing can be done because auto-refreshers are a huge problem but it's such a shame that Thief is borderline useless... ^^' edit: well, I guess it's the market's fault for valuing it higher than it should be... :P

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:02 am
Profile WWW

Shirogane wrote:
Some of the TMs were pretty poorly done, in hindsight, and Thief was one of them. Sadly, making it work on caught Pokémon would just encourage people to catch massive amounts of Pokémon (and release them after) looking for rare items. This is also the reason why held items aren't very good on caught Pokémon. Basically, it was poorly balanced. Even the way it is now encourages people to auto-refresh for items, unfortunately, so I really don't think there is much of a way to salvage the item unless it's completely reformulated (and at this point, that'd take more coding than is possible to do).

Chalk it up to inexperience making games, I guess. :( So much I'd do differently today.

On the other hand it could actually "steal" an item a wild pokemon is holding without having to catch it, and then have a small chance of turning the stolen item into something rare. Although it could be a little bit too strong, so maybe a small chance to steal an item and turning it into something else. I am aware that coding the item (or coding in general) would be challenging, but if this site is going to have a relaunch at some point, maybe you could actually redo the whole TM.

silverwind wrote:
idk how often you're supposed to get items with Thief now..
but I've had it on my lead pokemon for like 6 months, and haven't got a single item :(

iirc it's something like 1% every 6 minutes since the 2011 nerf, i've had it on my togepi since 2012 and found around 2 or 3 items, i feel your pain :(

Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Wait, that's it? Jeez, that is most definitely NOT worth what it's priced at then, I don't care how rare the TM is. That's not even worth using your first Pokemon slot for, especially since so many other things make use of it.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Maybe if you wouldn't have to keep it on the first slot and make it work like TM Headbutt?

___________my name is tilka and i'm a pinkanholic.
    Image__Image
    ImageImageImageImageImageImage

__Gastly/Haunter by AlexDraws ___ Running Sandshrews by KobatoHanato

Image Image Image Image Image

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:21 am
Profile WWW

If it's that uncommon of a bonus it's still terrible though.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:14 pm

tilka wrote:

Maybe if you wouldn't have to keep it on the first slot and make it work like TM Headbutt?

+1
Most of the time i don't even change to Thief because i know i won't be getting anything 98% of the time.

Shop -- Buying -- Auctions

Image Image

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:53 am

Location: Australia, Australasia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe
To be honest I think it's actually pretty reasonable for a TM and valued fairly enough? It's one of the lower end TMs since it's usually only 90k-120k these days. I haven't gotten much rare stuff from it but I did get tonnes of berries/tickets in the time I used it.

Perhaps instead of changing the time, or method of the item, the chances of getting a rare item could be increased a little? I think that would still be fair considering the nerf because quoting Shiro from ages ago on the topic:
Quote:
1% every 6 minutes isn't hard, that's 10 chances in an hour (amounts to roughly a 9.5% chance of an item in an hour). That's way higher than, say, the chance of getting an item from a partner. Refreshing the PokéRadar once every 6 minutes isn't difficult, either. You don't need to be actively playing to use the TM. Just switch to the tab, refresh, then go back to what you were doing.
So 9.5% chance right now is divided into 90% a 6h berry/s.s. ticket and 10% to get the rare list? Maybe if it were increased to 15-20% chance for rarer stuff? Which would still keep the rare stuff reasonably rare because right now it includes the entire list of items right? So even in getting a 'rare' roll, you still have the chance to get only 6h berries (and things in that price range), meaning people won't really be interested in spam refreshing for items but people truly interested in refreshing will get a little better benefit from the TM.

ImageImageImageImage
Tumblr ✻ DevArt ✻ Twitter ✻ GA of D

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]